Which group set?

phorsley
phorsley Posts: 4
edited February 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi,
I'm looking to upgrade the group set on my titanium bike currently running ultegra 10 speed, looking to run either ultegra di2 or mechanical Dura ace both come in about the same price.
Bike does have internal cable tubing for di so that's no problem.

Any thoughts greatly received

Thanks Paul

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    every couple of rides on zwift, someone drops out due to issues with di2 ...... never heard anyone drop out due to a mechanical gearing issue though.

BUT

di2 does feel blooming lovely to use and the shifts are so smooth and quick

I am glad I don't have to make your decision, because I wouldn't know .... di2 does feel nicer and it works better .. but its heavier and seems to break more often
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Do you ride in bad/wet conditions? If so I'd go Di2 as there are no cable outers to get gunked up.

If it's ridden in good weather I'd probably go Dura Ace. It's a fair bit lighter and arguably better looking.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Does it have to be Shimano? Why not eTap?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • I ride in wet and dry conditions, you have to in the UK.

As for SRAM etap its nearly twice the price, for the full groupset.

thanks for your replies
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Personally, I would keep the mech Ultegra and spend the money planned for the 'upgrade' to a new groupset on something nice, like a week in Tenerife or, failing that, some really nice sunny day wheels...or some nice shorts or...

I know I am a tight wad but the price of a Dura ace cassette which is widely acknowledged to be no 'better' than the Ultegra one but just weighs a few grams less... jeesh!
  • LiamW
    LiamW Posts: 358
    I'm considering eTap myself. I've read numerous posts from people who use their current Shimano Ultegra / Dura Ace 11 speed chainset, block & chain. That being the case the rest of the SRAM set up can be bought for £1000 online, still a big outlay but not as bad as the 1800 / 2000 for the whole lot.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Both are going to be good but personally i'd go for the di2 (which is what i did a couple of years ago and have had zero issues since)
    fat daddy wrote:
    every couple of rides on zwift, someone drops out due to issues with di2 ...... never heard anyone drop out due to a mechanical gearing issue though.

Are they perhaps not mistaking that for ANT+ drops? Which will have nothing to do with di2
  • fat daddy wrote:
    every couple of rides on zwift, someone drops out due to issues with di2

Is this what 'cycling' has come to these days? Sad times.
  • phorsley wrote:
    Hi,
    I'm looking to upgrade the group set on my titanium bike currently running ultegra 10 speed, looking to run either ultegra di2 or mechanical Dura ace both come in about the same price.

Thanks Paul

Does it have internal cabling?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    phorsley wrote:
    Hi,

Thanks Paul

Yes it does. Neat. I routed the cables myself. I built the whole bike by myself. Fun.

Been riding it for 3 months now.
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 288
    phorsley wrote:
    Hi,
    Bike does have internal cable :lol: tubing for di so that's no problem.

Thanks Paul

• Matthewfalle
    Overall, I'd still go for mechanical Red or D/A and spend the difference on pork scratching/riding hols/Ricard and a set of cables every 9 months.....

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Yeah, I think my choice would be DA then Ultegra Di2

Or Ultegra DI2 and a DA chainset.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • I still reckon that mechanical Sram Red would be my choice. That said, I don't like the new chain ring design as much.
  • Never though about SRAM mechanical, don't really know anyone who has it fitted.

thanks for all your replys thou

Paul
  • Matthewfalle
    phorsley wrote:
    Never though about SRAM mechanical, don't really know anyone who has it fitted.

thanks for all your replys thou

Paul

I have Force and Red and prefer it much more to Ultegra and D/A that I also have.

Lighter, more tactile, looks nicer, performs better. What's not to like?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I run 9070 and it's great, zero issues. My mate runs ultegra di2 and equally loves it, the only difference between the two seems to be a smidge of weight and the dura looks nicer.

Personally I think electronic trumps mechanical, it's just a bit nicer in every way. But you won't get wrong with either of your choices.
  • How about chorus? :D
  • yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282
    Chorus or Record ? :D
  • I've had Di2 6770 and 6870 and it has never missed a beat.

Calling boll*cks on people dropping out of Zwift because of issues with it. I've ridden it through deep water and it works fine.
  • Surely the only answer here is Dura Ace Di2. :D I love electric shifting, just wish I had it on all my bikes.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    phorsley wrote:
    I ride in wet and dry conditions, you have to in the UK.

thanks for your replies

SRAM eTap is around the same price as Ultegra Di2 and if you search long enough, can be found slightly cheaper. Still a big outlay though.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    philthy3 wrote:
    phorsley wrote:

thanks for your replies

SRAM eTap is around the same price as Ultegra Di2 and if you search long enough, can be found slightly cheaper. Still a big outlay though.

But they are not full groupsets, you still need chainset, cassette and brakes.
  • StillGoing
    Dowtcha wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    phorsley wrote:

thanks for your replies

Of course you don't. Any 11 speed chainset will work as will a 105 or Ultegra cassette and brakes. What eTap doesn't seem to like is oval chainrings. Works fine with ovals on the stand in the workshop, but has failures on the road.
  • philthy3 wrote:
    Dowtcha wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    phorsley wrote:

thanks for your replies

Of course you don't. Any 11 speed chainset will work as will a 105 or Ultegra cassette and brakes. What eTap doesn't seem to like is oval chainrings. Works fine with ovals on the stand in the workshop, but has failures on the road.

I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in where you can buy an eTap conversion kit (shifters and derailleurs) for the same price as an Ultegra Di2 conversion kit. Typically the U Di2 is £600-700 and eTap £1100-1200. Given you can get the full U Di2 groupset for a shade over £900, it does validate the question of price.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Mechanical ultegra and spend the money saved on better wheels?
  • StillGoing
    philthy3 wrote:
    Dowtcha wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    phorsley wrote:

thanks for your replies

I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in where you can buy an eTap conversion kit (shifters and derailleurs) for the same price as an Ultegra Di2 conversion kit. Typically the U Di2 is £600-700 and eTap £1100-1200. Given you can get the full U Di2 groupset for a shade over £900, it does validate the question of price.

To appease the pedant, the point being made is that you can go eTap without having to shell out for brakes, crankset or cassette. :roll:
  • philthy3 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    Dowtcha wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    phorsley wrote:

thanks for your replies

To appease the pedant, the point being made is that you can go eTap without having to shell out for brakes, crankset or cassette. :roll:
    SRAM eTap is around the same price as Ultegra Di2

Hardly pedantic point out that it's nothing like the same price....
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • StillGoing
    philthy3 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    Dowtcha wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    phorsley wrote:

thanks for your replies

SRAM eTap is around the same price as Ultegra Di2

Hardly pedantic point out that it's nothing like the same price....

Forgive me oh great one, I should have made it plain and simple that you can equip your bike with SRAM eTap (albeit as an upgrade kit) for the same price as shelling out for the inferior Shimano Di2 full kit.

Satisfied? :roll:
  • Just writing what you mean would help us all rather than have us guess. It's not that hard.