Wheels for UK

2»

Comments

• Just wondering, how many people posting actually live and ride even remotely near the area the OP asked about?
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 1,387
    Just wondering, how many people posting actually live and ride even remotely near the area the OP asked about?

I do, and the roads around Edinburgh are no worse than elsewhere in the UK - I certainly don't recall it being any kind of an issue.
  • niblue wrote:
    Just wondering, how many people posting actually live and ride even remotely near the area the OP asked about?

I do, and the roads around Edinburgh are no worse than elsewhere in the UK - I certainly don't recall it being any kind of an issue.

I've found the muck and grit to be a lot worse around both Glasgow and Edinburgh compared to when I am back down in the North West/North Wales and it sticks around much more up here too. The roads themselves would agree with, certainly no worse than North Wales.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I have punctured a conti gatorskin tub more than once, they are better than a gatorskin clincher though in there favour. The challange tyres are pretty good imo. the strada bianca is excellent if you have the room.

on ugo's point about cotton casings Dugast tyres do need aquasure but with this applied the casing does not rot. I a set of MTB dugast tubulars that are quite fine. CX racers use these tyres and they ride in alot of slop without issue.

The muck and grit will have to do with the farmland in souther scotland. In the welsh hills there is less topsoil to get washed off and there tends not be be ploughed fields which tractor drive through and then drop the muck all over the road. Anywhere where there is agricultural farmland will have mucky roads.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • niblue
    I've found the muck and grit to be a lot worse around both Glasgow and Edinburgh compared to when I am back down in the North West/North Wales and it sticks around much more up here too. The roads themselves would agree with, certainly no worse than North Wales.

I split my time between Edinburgh and London (where I do most of my riding in the Essex lanes) and wouldn't have said I'd noticed much of a difference between either the road quality or the amount of crap on them in the winter. Winter does go on a bit longer up north though - although it's baltic down in London at the moment!
  • niblue wrote:

I split my time between Edinburgh and London (where I do most of my riding in the Essex lanes) and wouldn't have said I'd noticed much of a difference between either the road quality or the amount of crap on them in the winter. Winter does go on a bit longer up north though - although it's baltic down in London at the moment!

Fair enough. It's very chilly around Glasgow at the moment, making it really hard to decide where to ride over the weekend.
  • niblue
    It's very chilly around Glasgow at the moment, making it really hard to decide where to ride over the weekend.

We did a club run in -3C a few weeks back but it was definitely borderline as a lot of the lanes had ice on them. No fallers though - everyone was taking it pretty easy. Looks like we'll be just into positive digits for Sunday though, although it might be breezy.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    niblue wrote:
    We did a club run in -3C a few weeks back but it was definitely borderline as a lot of the lanes had ice on them. No fallers though - everyone was taking it pretty easy...

Yepp, the kind of crazy logic that leaves riders in A&E when they know they should have sacked the ride either at the start or at some point during it. If there is ice about then the best advice is just forget it, not "Take it easy". No one ever lost fitness by missing one ride, I know a good few riders who have completely lost fitness from having bad falls in the winter.
  • niblue
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    niblue wrote:
    We did a club run in -3C a few weeks back but it was definitely borderline as a lot of the lanes had ice on them. No fallers though - everyone was taking it pretty easy...

Yepp, the kind of crazy logic that leaves riders in A&E when they know they should have sacked the ride either at the start or at some point during it. If there is ice about then the best advice is just forget it, not "Take it easy". No one ever lost fitness by missing one ride, I know a good few riders who have completely lost fitness from having bad falls in the winter.

The club I ride with is pretty careful and this was pretty much the limit for them being willing to go out (and lots of people didn't come out that day as no-one was forcing anyone). The ice was mostly just patches in shaded areas (it was sunny but cold) and the ride leaders did a good job of pointing any icy patches out hence their being no fallers, in fact there weren't even any close calls. Even if the club had cancelled the ride I'd have still gone out myself as it wasn't that bad. I'm from Scotland though and used to mountain biking in any conditions!
  • not sure a cotton tub will take 9 bars

I regularly put 10 in mine?
    Assuming that my gauge is correct.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul

Are you sure they are cotton? For instance Vittoria:

Kevlar reinforced 320TPI Corespun K casing for increased sidewall protection
    Corespun K 320 TPI has a mixture of Kevlar® threads for casings where strength is of the essence

FMB and Dugast are old fashioned tubs, stripped bare from any modern technology...light and supple but they are really not designed for high pressure
    left the forum March 2023

Are you sure they are cotton? For instance Vittoria:

Kevlar reinforced 320TPI Corespun K casing for increased sidewall protection
    Corespun K 320 TPI has a mixture of Kevlar® threads for casings where strength is of the essence

FMB and Dugast are old fashioned tubs, stripped bare from any modern technology...light and supple but they are really not designed for high pressure

Ah right I see now. Cheers
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    You dont have run 9 bar it was what dugast say is the maximum pressure and that no doubt applies to the 22mm tub. I think they should know. I have edited my website to make that more clear but does not everyone ride pressure they feel comfortable with.

I have challange strada biance tubs on one bike. These are 30mm wide. Recomended pressure printed on the side wall is 90 to 130psi FFS. I use 50 to 60psi as 90 was way too much. Grip and comfort suffered.

So just because a manufacturer suggests a pressure the buyer does not have to see that as a target. Use common sense folks. 130psi is o.k for track or really narrow tubs on smooth roads. Had 180psi in a veloflex tub once and did a smooth circuit race on it would not have tried that on the road though.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Having just come back from a week in Jersey I can say that the roads are much much better than up here in Scotland.

To get the full Scottish effect ride the cycle path from Gloucester Street to West Park keeping to the granite paving. That is what a normal road feels like up here. For the full pothole effect remove 5% of the slabs!
  • You were obviously in a place recently resurfaced. Most places you'd need to remove 50% of the slabs (and break the others to be extra uneven)
  • Jerry185
    Jerry185 Posts: 143
    Thanks fellas, went with the FFR's in the end; figured anything decent would cost over half that anyway, so splashed out as a new life awaits. Falkirk sportive and Etape Caledonia await, but the FFR's for weekend rides