ITB & Medial PAIN

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 845
edited February 2017 in Training, fitness and health
Been suffering with ITBS for about 6 months possibly longer now. Was most noticeable during a longer ride, say 40 miles into a 50 miler and I would cycle back home almost with one leg (or beg the wife to pick me up). Now, as long as I stretch my hips/glutes and the ITB area including a foam roll well before each ride, it seems to be fine during the biggies. Still feel it all the time when walking though!

On top of this, I have now developed pain of the inside of the same knee, seemed to happen day after 3-4 longish rides back to back, a month ago. Must have overdone it slightly. Ironically the pain is not there during cycling now, but it comes back with a vengeance when running.

I know we are not a running forum, but any suggestions on a good fix for the above? I know it depends on exactly what I have annoyed, but I am pretty sure it's my medial ligament or meniscus.

Like I said, I am religiously stretching and foam rolling everyday now, especially before a ride or run. And a lot more glute leg work too.

Comments

• bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    As far as I'm aware, stretching before exercise is unhelpful; it is best to do it afterwards, when the muscles have warmed up. Before exercise, warming up is what is needed.

Usual provisos about internet advice apply!
  • chatlow wrote:

I know we are not a running forum, but any suggestions on a good fix for the above? I know it depends on exactly what I have annoyed, but I am pretty sure it's my medial ligament or meniscus.

Probably need to sort out the root cause, starting with bike fit/ position
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • chatlow
    chatlow wrote:

Probably need to sort out the root cause, starting with bike fit/ position

I was wondering when the 'bike fit' subject might come up. Yeah understand where you're coming from, but definitely not this.. pretty sure I just overworked that joint cycling and running too much too soon.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Well there is your answer then!

If you dont like the bike fit advice you wont like my gait analysis tip either. Critical for running shoes.
  • Amputation of the offending limb is the only way :D
  • chatlow
    AK_jnr wrote:
    Well there is your answer then!

If you dont like the bike fit advice you wont like my gait analysis tip either. Critical for running shoes.

Ha, it's not that I don't like it, just that I've had 2 in the past and both said my own youtube setup was practically perfect lol.

Anyway, after speaking to a colleague and read above comment, I will be going for gait analysis and some new running shoes. Flat feet could be playing a big part in this. So thanks for the advice, kind of :D

Oh and just went for first jog in weeks with knee support and itb compression band and was pain free yeaaaaaahhhhhh although I only did 2 miles
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    You can get it free on sportsshoes . com
    Search for free gait analysis sportsshoes and it will give you the link. I used it and it saved me £20 or having to buy the trainers in the shop.
    You just need to send a 20 second video of you on a treadmill (if you have access)
    They also recommend shoes in your chosen budget.
  • rampax
    rampax Posts: 139
    I have suffered with this for a long time. Like yourself it only becomes a problem on long rides, or very hilly rides.
    I have quite pronounced Tibial Varum (or bow-leggedness) as well as flat feet. Not ideal for cycling.
    I have tried all sorts of things along the lines of stretching & foam roller etc.
    These helped a bit but did not fully get rid of it.
    Again, changing my bike position to being more upright helped but didn't fully get rid.
    I also have custom made orthotics in my shoes, which help (more when off the bike) but didn't get rid.
    Also cleat wedges, which didn't help.

Now I have fitted some Kneesavers Pedal Extenders.
    These allow me to change my cleat angle to point my toes out (heel in) without my heels striking the crank arms.
    Straight away (apart from looking strange) it just feels way more comfortable and natural.
    It's early days but I have not had any ITBS issues since.

Might be worth looking at, as it could be a very cheap fix.
    The A6 Hazel Grove - "Always the worst part of any ride".