MTB Accessory Colours

mitchn1
mitchn1 Posts: 10
edited January 2017 in MTB general
For a MTB cycling accessory - what sort of colours would people buy?
Most accessories are plain black, but would people prefer:
a) keep everything black
b) dark with a brighter colour trim (like a lot of bikes)
c) bright and 'out there' colours?

If you have any colour suggestions - eg. matching bike brands or teams please comment!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Whatever matches your lipstick.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Why are you asking?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • nasha48
    nasha48 Posts: 231
    Personally I tend to go for accessories coloured blue, black, green, red, or sometimes yellow, even pink if it's over 70% discount, often white, silver is great for accessories as is gold and brown is really useful as it doesn't show the dirt. But my all time favourite accessory colour has to be indigo.

Oh sorry, my bad - black isn't a colour is it?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    They've asked the same question in about four different forums ? Market research on the cheap ?
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Fenix wrote:
    Market research on the cheap ?

it explains why there is so much tat on the market really ...... when they compile there research and find on 2 serious responses in a quagmire of internet bolox :D
  • I have OCD so bike must have matching coloured accessories to the frame. Unless its an all black frame, then accessories are all black too. Clothing on the other hand is different to the bike. If I'm wearing club kit (orange and black), then helmet, shoes and glasses must match the kit...but that's just me.

My MTB is black and grey with blue trim - matching blue accessories (accept saddle - which annoys me, but is comfortable)
    20170105_142119_zpsg4mlqwct.jpg[/URL]
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Whichever colour is discounted most.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Red. It's the fastest colour.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Blue is cool

Red is faster

Brown is 'Should have gone slower'
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • I match everything to my bike frame: silver, black, red. Sometimes white (usually no due to dirt).

If I got a bike purely based on colour, that would be stupid. If it was a really foul colour, I'd respray it blue or perhaps match my wardrobe of red, black, silver and white.

My opinion is I'm choosing conscientiously.

Imagine if everything in the world was done with a profit / loss priority, there would be no art, fashion, etc.

There's a reason it's called "complimentary" colours.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Depends how enduro you are
  • tomb57
    tomb57 Posts: 2,043
    Didn't realise things should match if it's an accessory surly it's what it does not what colour it is??
    Or have I missed the point
    Whoops who did that!
  • rockmonkeysc
    You got to match your headset spacers to your hand bag
  • tomb57
    That's why missus looks at me weirdly
    Whoops who did that!
  • Ross Gardner
    Ross Gardner Posts: 230
    edited January 2017
    Tomb57 wrote:
    Didn't realise things should match if it's an accessory surly it's what it does not what colour it is??
    Or have I missed the point

It takes priority. For cheaper things, it's easy to choose a colour for a little bit more.

My posts are bound to be picked on for their lack of either, "Think of those in poverty," or "you must be crazy to spend more."

Would you want all you wear to be black, or even some vomit-inducing pink? Should all the colour happiness in the world be extinguished?
  • I have a black+dark blue frame, pretty much everything black, and then white fork, white cables, white seat and white pedals. Let me tell you one thing - getting stuff in white can be a major PIA. I'd like white grips but the Ergon ones were not available. Chainrings? Forget it, I haven't found any. Recently managed to get a hold of a decent looking white seatpost clamp (after having a bit of a chat where I made it clear that white and silver are not the same colour to me, it's on the way, hopefully in white) and I am working on a white stem top cap (as that's a performance affecting part, I'm very careful with this one).

Oh and yeah, the white gets terribly dirty. The fork, the pedals, the cables... As it's a mountain bike, I don't see a problem with it. I don't know, whenever I see dirty mountain bike that is functionally clean, I think it's a clear display that the bike is getting all the right love.
  • I have a black+dark blue frame, pretty much everything black, and then white fork, white cables, white seat and white pedals. Let me tell you one thing - getting stuff in white can be a major PIA. I'd like white grips but the Ergon ones were not available. Chainrings? Forget it, I haven't found any. Recently managed to get a hold of a decent looking white seatpost clamp (after having a bit of a chat where I made it clear that white and silver are not the same colour to me, it's on the way, hopefully in white) and I am working on a white stem top cap (as that's a performance affecting part, I'm very careful with this one).

Oh and yeah, the white gets terribly dirty. The fork, the pedals, the cables... As it's a mountain bike, I don't see a problem with it. I don't know, whenever I see dirty mountain bike that is functionally clean, I think it's a clear display that the bike is getting all the right love.

With the colour, if it's not affected by the muck (as in, the colour doesn't fade any more than any other colour), then white is fine, in my opinion.
  • With the colour, if it's not affected by the muck (as in, the colour doesn't fade any more than any other colour), then white is fine, in my opinion.

Oh yeah, that is correct. Actually, the white is very visible even when dirty. It's just that the dirt is also very visible with a white background. Like i said, I don't mind a dirty bike.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I really can't believe people take colour Co ordinating their mountain bikes so seriously. Do you own a bike to look at or to ride?
    Everything is brown five minutes in to a ride at this time of year.
    As far as I'm concerned I've got the best bike there is and it's covered in scratches, scuffs, dents and scrapes. Exactly how it should be.
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    Do you own a bike to look at or to ride?
    Everything is brown five minutes in to a ride at this time of year.

Both. It's nice to like and be proud of what you're riding. There's nothing wrong with that at all.

And yes, a mtb should get muddy, but it's also enjoyable stripping it down and getting back looking clean again.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • It's less to do with being serious and more to with being passionate.
    I have a pretty rich PC building background and the mentality is the same. At the end of the day, you have a point - it's a thing that serves a purpose and how it looks has no effect on performance. But... Once I'm at the point where I'm building it myself, or at least modifying, maintaining and repairing it, I want to really feel that it is my own and I want my own work to be apparent, even if it goes unnoticed by almost everyone.

If you're changing the components on your bike, you have to choose a colour. Might as well pick one you like, no?
  • jamski
    It's less to do with being serious and more to with being passionate.
    I have a pretty rich PC building background and the mentality is the same. At the end of the day, you have a point - it's a thing that serves a purpose and how it looks has no effect on performance. But... Once I'm at the point where I'm building it myself, or at least modifying, maintaining and repairing it, I want to really feel that it is my own and I want my own work to be apparent, even if it goes unnoticed by almost everyone.

If you're changing the components on your bike, you have to choose a colour. Might as well pick one you like, no?

Absolutely, its about being individual. Look at the bikes the DH races use. Some of Peateys bikes are pretty out there, because its a reflection of him.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    And there was I thinking that merde was the in colour.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • tomb57
    Sorry spent 40 years in motor trade don't matter if accessories are in the biggest range of
    Colours if it don't work it don't work so functionality is foremost (or should be) in consideration
    When buying .
    Whoops who did that!

• If you're changing the components on your bike, you have to choose a colour. Might as well pick one you like, no?

Agreed.
  • rockmonkeysc
    jamski wrote:
    It's less to do with being serious and more to with being passionate.

Absolutely, its about being individual. Look at the bikes the DH races use. Some of Peateys bikes are pretty out there, because its a reflection of him.

Peatys bikes had lots of brightly coloured bits because that's what his sponsors want to show off. Pro riders don't have much say in what's on their bikes.
    Personally, I pick colours by what's in stock or what's discounted. I don't care what my bike looks like.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    My pedals don't match my bike. Bugs the shït out of me!
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • jamski

Peatys bikes had lots of brightly coloured bits because that's what his sponsors want to show off. Pro riders don't have much say in what's on their bikes.
    Personally, I pick colours by what's in stock or what's discounted. I don't care what my bike looks like.

Well I think that's very sad, that you don't care, and I also can't see how anyone on here doesn't see some sort of aesthetic appeal in their bike.

Pretty sure Santa Cruz got little to no benefit from his bike being painted like a cow!

s1200_peatysbike.jpg
  • Ross Gardner
    Ross Gardner Posts: 230
    edited January 2017
    jamski wrote:

Well I think that's very sad, that you don't care, and I also can't see how anyone on here doesn't see some sort of aesthetic appeal in their bike.

You're with me so far, then you do this:
    jamski wrote:
    Pretty sure Santa Cruz got little to no benefit from his bike being painted like a cow!

Eye rape. I have now a turned stomach. I demand compensation. I won't even quote the picture. You owe me one decent looking bike picture.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I don't care how my bike looks because I built it to ride hard. I WILL crash it hard, repeatedly, it WILL get damaged and scratched and dented.
    I don't want to worry about damaging the paint or putting a little dent in the frame. I just want it to ride absolutely spot on.
    I think it's kind of sad when people buy a bike because of its looks when they could have got a better one for the same money.
    I used to worry about how my bikes looked until I rode a Brooklyn Racelink. A bike so ugly it makes an Orange Five look beautiful but it rode great, a proper downhill rocket despite weighing a ton.