To buy or not to buy

2»

Comments

• bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Actually, would like to say fair play to you - a refreshing point of view. Rather than bin a bike you love, the upgrade route makes perfect sense. Beautiful frame.

Sometimes we move bikes on and immediately look to replace it with the same - wishing we'd not sold it.

But then as committed road cyclists, we are a strange breed.
  • Uncleiven
    Uncleiven Posts: 150
    Actually, would like to say fair play to you - a refreshing point of view. Rather than bin a bike you love, the upgrade route makes perfect sense. Beautiful frame.

Sometimes we move bikes on and immediately look to replace it with the same - wishing we'd not sold it.

Thank you, this is basically what the justification was in my head which made me decide to go with the upgrade. The Foil also has a sentimental meaning to me which I've not mentioned previously, I purchased it the same year I met my wife who sadly passed away last March from Cancer - so I think I've made the right call by not getting rid of it completely.

I'll post a new thread with the upgrade on once it all starts.
  • bristolpete
    Uncleiven wrote:

Thank you, this is basically what the justification was in my head which made me decide to go with the upgrade. The Foil also has a sentimental meaning to me which I've not mentioned previously, I purchased it the same year I met my wife who sadly passed away last March from Cancer - so I think I've made the right call by not getting rid of it completely.

Wow, sorry to hear that - but credit to you in every sense of the word. Sounds like you have had a rough time and words on the internet can never console you, but glad you had some time together. Respect to you. If you ever fancy a ride in Devon then message me. Pete.
  • Uncleiven
    Uncleiven Posts: 150
    Thanks Pete

Yeah it's been an unimaginably though last 18 months or so for me, like a living nightmare. I've fell out of love with the bike (not literally) but just riding in general, so the goal for this year is to get back into what I previously loved doing.
  • bristolpete
    Uncleiven wrote:
    Thanks Pete

Yeah it's been an unimaginably though last 18 months or so for me, like a living nightmare. I've fell out of love with the bike (not literally) but just riding in genera, so the goal for this year is to get back into what I previously loved doing.

I can only imagine. We are but recreational bike riders. Average to poor at best and sometimes we ride to escape life before life escapes us. One day at a time bud, one day at a time.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Uncleiven wrote:

Sorry to hear that.

Personally then I would save the frame and never ride it. That way it will always be there. Can't imagine if you break it?

I have not yet sold any of my bikes. So just because you buy a new one does not mean you lose your old one.

Everyone justify their decision once it has been made.

Again I am so sorry.
  • That frame doesn't look dated at all.

When you compare what you'd get selling it, (£600?) to what you'd have to pay for a new one (£2500?) which really won't be any better, you're far better off buying nice new kit for it.

(Edit: posted that without reading 2nd page, which kind of puts a different perspective on things. Chin up, and keep riding!)
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    You could always get a custom paint job for the frame to spruce it up a bit, and maybe add a few little details / colours that have a connection to your late wife?

Can really run wild with it yet still keep the sentimental value that the frame has to you.

Please let us know if you decide to change out the wheels since I've tried them all ;)
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • I think you made the right choice, plus graphene frames are going to become more common in the coming years, so you could always upgrade to one of those at some point.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976
    Uncleiven wrote:
    Right, decision made. It's getting upgraded :)
    A fine choice. A left wing option for left-over cash - a cycling holiday instead of parts/gear.
    A new bike is fine, as are upgrades but life experiences are priceless.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • My sympathies for your loss Uncleiven, I lost my wife to cancer five years ago. It is a very hard experience. Buy whatever makes you feel best, then go on holiday. You deserve a rest.