To buy or not to buy

Uncleiven
Uncleiven Posts: 150
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
So, my beloved Scott Foil 20 2012 will be 5 years old this year and I've decided that I want a change (of sorts) - but to what I don't know.

I have an overall budget of 4.2k, which is either for a brand new bike entirely or, the other thing I've thought about doing is upgrading the Groupset to SRAM Red e-Tap as that is the only electronic GS I can use without having cables on the outside of the frame because the electronic cables wouldn't fit through internal frame routing.

My bike has already have several upgrades over the years to include full carbon steerer parts, Mavic Cosmic wheels etc.
Will probably get a black saddle to finish off the look as well.

AB39470A-B4EA-42F1-812A-95E80BBC9265_zpsyjpvv7ae.jpg

Electronic GS is a must (as I am a tech geek :)) and ready to take the plunge, the bikes I have looked at so far include;

Canyon AEROAD CF SLX 8.0 DI2
2017 Bianchi Oltre XR1 Ultegra Di2

I want something that looks pretty wow, but still has the overall performance you'd expect from a bike of that price range.
Doesn't necessarily have to be an Aero bike either.

Thanks for your help :)

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Just get the etap and a new saddle then ?
    To me Di2 doesn't seem a major improvement - you still have cables - although they're electric and people DO have problems with those and then you have a battery element. I'm still old school - but all I have to go wrong are cables and they never do.

If you want electronic it has to be SRAM.
  • Uncleiven
    The other plus point of going down the e-Tap route would be half the cost of a new bike (for what I'd want), it;s just the thought of a new bike that has got me thinking... decisions decisions
  • teebs_123
    teebs_123 Posts: 357
    Uncleiven wrote:
    The other plus point of going down the e-Tap route would be half the cost of a new bike (for what I'd want), it;s just the thought of a new bike that has got me thinking... decisions decisions

You could always just get the eTap now, then look for a new frame in a few years time. I don't think there will be anything out there significantly better than your 2012 Foil (I had exactly the same frameset & wheels).
    I've moved my Ultegra Di2 between 2 different bikes which has saved having to sell components I don't want from a full bike purchase.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • Uncleiven
    Teebs_123 wrote:
    Uncleiven wrote:

You could always just get the eTap now, then look for a new frame in a few years time. I don't think there will be anything out there significantly better than your 2012 Foil (I had exactly the same frameset & wheels).
    I've moved my Ultegra Di2 between 2 different bikes which has saved having to sell components I don't want from a full bike purchase.

That's what I'm thinking, and it's keeping me awake at night ha. It's still a great bike and it's been faultless for me over the years - well apart from the steerer tube cracking but I think that was down to a LBS's negligence and over tightening the stem!

I purchased Di2 for the Foil when it first came out but unfortunately, the inner cable routing was tapered as it went into the frame, so from the outside the hole was big enough for the electrical cable but it wouldn't go all the way through the frame - gutted!!

I am certainly not going to rush into a decision, I've made contact with Epic over the Bianchi and I might just pay them a visit just to have a nose.......(with credit card lol)
  • teebs_123
    Uncleiven wrote:
    Teebs_123 wrote:
    Uncleiven wrote:

That's what I'm thinking, and it's keeping me awake at night ha. It's still a great bike and it's been faultless for me over the years - well apart from the steerer tube cracking but I think that was down to a LBS's negligence and over tightening the stem!

I purchased Di2 for the Foil when it first came out but unfortunately, the inner cable routing was tapered as it went into the frame, so from the outside the hole was big enough for the electrical cable but it wouldn't go all the way through the frame - gutted!!

I am certainly not going to rush into a decision, I've made contact with Epic over the Bianchi and I might just pay them a visit just to have a nose.......(with credit card lol)

Good position to be in! I purchased my Foil from Epic Cycles (good service but the "bike fit" left a little to be desired). My last 2 bikes have been purchased as "bit parts", frameset/wheels/groupset all from different places - I've saved quite a bit doing that, makes it more personal too
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976
    To buy, or not to buy? That is not a question.
    There is only buy.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Teebs_123 wrote:
    Uncleiven wrote:
    Teebs_123 wrote:
    Uncleiven wrote:

Good position to be in! I purchased my Foil from Epic Cycles (good service but the "bike fit" left a little to be desired). My last 2 bikes have been purchased as "bit parts", frameset/wheels/groupset all from different places - I've saved quite a bit doing that, makes it more personal too

You could always have a look at one of these while you're in there...
    http://epic-cycles.co.uk/product/2017-c ... d-red-etap
  • Uncleiven
    PBlakeney wrote:
    There is only buy.

I was being humerus... jeeez ;)

It was aimed at buying a new bike or not (and the not being upgrading mine)
  • Uncleiven
    Teebs_123 wrote:
    Uncleiven wrote:
    Teebs_123 wrote:
    Uncleiven wrote:

Yeah Chris Lines is a top guy and the sales service was spot on. I didn't have a bike fit there, I used PedalPrecision at the Cycle Centre in Manchester - I can highly recommend Rich!
  • Uncleiven
    MrB123 wrote:
    Teebs_123 wrote:
    Uncleiven wrote:
    Teebs_123 wrote:
    Uncleiven wrote:

I will but TBH, I am not a massive fan of Cannondales - just dont know what it is about them I'm not too keen on!
  • teebs_123
    Uncleiven wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:
    Teebs_123 wrote:
    Uncleiven wrote:
    Teebs_123 wrote:
    Uncleiven wrote:

I will but TBH, I am not a massive fan of Cannondales - just dont know what it is about them I'm not too keen on!

I'm with you, that's a miserable looking bike for big ££££
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • Uncleiven
    Teebs_123 wrote:
    Uncleiven wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:
    Teebs_123 wrote:
    Uncleiven wrote:
    Teebs_123 wrote:
    Uncleiven wrote:

I'm with you, that's a miserable looking bike for big ££££

Isn't it just!.. I don't think I have liked any Cannondale lol
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    eTap is what £1200 or so.

New saddle £100.

New pair of wider wheels and tyres say £1000.

Sell off the leftovers (Cosmics will sell for £400-500 all day long) and for less than half the price of a new bike you've transformed yours, even less if you're happy with the Cosmics.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    My 2012 Foil 20 is still the best bike I've owned. Keep it another 4 years.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Uncleiven
    Matt_N wrote:
    eTap is what £1200 or so.

New saddle £100.

New pair of wider wheels and tyres say £1000.

Sell off the leftovers (Cosmics will sell for £400-500 all day long) and for less than half the price of a new bike you've transformed yours, even less if you're happy with the Cosmics.

Yeah, this is main my arguing point against a new bike. I can easily save 2k which is always a bonus. Means I can get a Edge 1000 then :)
  • Uncleiven
    Grill wrote:
    My 2012 Foil 20 is still the best bike I've owned. Keep it another 4 years.

Think I am swaying more towards upgrading now
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    edited January 2017
    Uncleiven wrote:
    So, my beloved Scott Foil 20 2012 will be 5 years old this year and I've decided that I want a change (of sorts) - but to what I don't know.

I have an overall budget of 4.2k, which is either for a brand new bike entirely or, the other thing I've thought about doing is upgrading the Groupset to SRAM Red e-Tap as that is the only electronic GS I can use without having cables on the outside of the frame because the electronic cables wouldn't fit through internal frame routing.

My bike has already have several upgrades over the years to include full carbon steerer parts, Mavic Cosmic wheels etc.
    Will probably get a black saddle to finish off the look as well.

AB39470A-B4EA-42F1-812A-95E80BBC9265_zpsyjpvv7ae.jpg

Electronic GS is a must (as I am a tech geek :)) and ready to take the plunge, the bikes I have looked at so far include;

Canyon AEROAD CF SLX 8.0 DI2
    2017 Bianchi Oltre XR1 Ultegra Di2

I want something that looks pretty wow, but still has the overall performance you'd expect from a bike of that price range.
    Doesn't necessarily have to be an Aero bike either.

Thanks for your help :)

Buy a new one.

Simple really especially with 4.2K budget.

Especially you can go for a disc brake version bike. Good to have a comparison.
  • pblakeney
    Uncleiven wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    There is only buy.

Try again?
    In English please?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Uncleiven
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Uncleiven wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    There is only buy.

Try again?
    In English please?

Have you got nothing better to do... bore off!
  • pblakeney
    Uncleiven wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Uncleiven wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    There is only buy.

Try again?
    In English please?

Eh?
    You asked a question, to buy, or not to buy? I advised buying. It got confusing after that point.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Uncleiven
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Uncleiven wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Uncleiven wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    There is only buy.

Try again?
    In English please?

Eh?
    You asked a question, to buy, or not to buy? I advised buying. It got confusing after that point.

I thought you were being funny and taking the p##s... il let you off then lol
  • hsiaolc wrote:

Buy a new one.

Simple really especially with 4.2K budget.

Especially you can go for a disc brake version bike.

While disc brake bikes have their place, there really is no need on what would be your 'best' bike.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    I would look at the new foil. It looks different enough from the one you have and still looks a fantastic bike. Plus you know the brand well enough to trust it. I would love a new Foil but in my size it looks a bit weird. Same size as Caleb Ewans and its tiny.
  • I would have to admit , if I'm basically bored of my bike then really a new one is brewing . I have had a decent carbon bike built up with good groupset and wheels . It is 10 years old. I can't wear it out. I thought about upgrades and new saddle plus bar tape and tyres to revamp it.
    Eventually I bought a new frame and started the process again. It's the journey of tweaking , new bits here and there , colour change sometimes. Keeps you going for so long.
    Go ahead build another epic !
    It will be your own bit of bike magic.
  • Uncleiven
    Yeah I'm not overly fussed on having disk brakes, I've never had an issue with traditional brakes, but some might have the same argument between mechanical vs electronics gears.

It's been on my mind all day and I think I am going to upgrade the Scott. I'm in talks with a LBS which I have used before and they can source all the parts I've priced up online, priced matched and will fit everything for me which is great.

I'm going to take the bike in tomorrow as they want to just check over things before we commit to the order.

With the money saved over a new bike I can get a Garmin 1000, new Shoes and maybe even some new wheels later down the line.

Watch this space.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    If you keep the Foil you could get some nice bars too :wink:
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Uncleiven
    Right, decision made. It's getting upgraded :)

As much as I'd love a new bike, I would like to keep hold of the Scott for a few more years yet and enjoy the benefits of electronic gears, and other upgrades I've got planned.

Dropped her off at the LBS this morning for a pre-check before we go ahead and order all the parts.

72E43FAB-2650-4510-985C-C5492F39B304_zpshnf0iei3.jpg
  • hsiaolc
    For £4.3K you can get both new bike and electronic gearing. I still think new bike is the best way to go.

But happy you've made your decision.

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/aeroa ... 0-di2.html

But this is so sexy! I will go for that any day instead of upgrading.
  • Uncleiven
    hsiaolc wrote:
    For £4.3K you can get both new bike and electronic gearing. I still think new bike is the best way to go.

But happy you've made your decision.

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/aeroa ... 0-di2.html

But this is so sexy! I will go for that any day instead of upgrading.

I know, but 4.3k is a lot more than 2k and upgrading leaves me with money left over to get some other bits - like Sidi Shot's, Speedplay peddles etc etc.

That was one of the bikes that I was looking at, I've always liked Canyon. Maybe in a few more years :)
  • hsiaolc
    I know what you are saying. But false economy actually.

Spend the 4.3K and hurt now instead of spend 2k and then not happy enough and go on and spend the £4.3K anyway in a few months time. That way you will end up spending £6.5K for what you really wanted which was £4.3K.

Speedplay is only £100. Not sure what you are using now but if you use SPD SL the speed play will save you money over time (for my mate we calucated to be £150/year).

It always happens.