How Do You Ride Out The Saddle On A Turbo?

2»

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    AK_jnr wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    AK_jnr wrote:
    What is the point?! You dont sprint like that on the road so why would you practice it on the turbo?

Im sorry, but turbos are definitely not place to do sprints. Complete waste of time.
    How do you sprint on the road?
    Never heard of intervals?

You think I sprint on the road by maintaining a light grip on the bars, keeping the bike and myself still?
    Without it being a willy waving exercise, if you do that you probably put out about 800 watts so your opinion is useless.

Well no but that's not to say it doesn't have any benefits.

I don't tend to go in for any of the positioning gimmicks in TR but even for the 200% FTP sections I will struggle to get to the cadences I need to be at to hit the power targets in the timeframe they give without coming out of the saddle briefly.

What I'm basically saying is I need to invest in a new smart trainer...
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789
    AK_jnr wrote:
    You think I sprint on the road by maintaining a light grip on the bars, keeping the bike and myself still?
    Without it being a willy waving exercise, if you do that you probably put out about 800 watts so your opinion is useless.
    Look at the pro peloton. How many are throwing their bikes around, and why not?
    Plenty comedic head nodding I'll grant you though.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Okay you must be trolling me. Good one
  • pblakeney
    I give you one John Degenkolb.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NzuZCmt3wk
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    IF you watch any of the top sprinters I don't think many of them move from left to right that much. By these I mean Cav, Kittel or Greipel. They put more effort projecting themselves forward.

I think many are getting sprinting confused with when you see riders climbing a like Contador who has a vert distinct wobble when he gets out off the saddle. I said early up in the thread, if you go on rollers its actually quite easy to sprint on them once you're confident on them. It probably helps refine your technique as a sprinter (of which I generally am over say climbing or TTing) cos if you do go too far over to the sides you just fall off the rollers
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    deejaysee wrote:
    Naturally when you ride out the saddle on the road you swing the bike side to side quite a bit but obv on a trainer you cant do this.
    I've tried a few times while on Zwift for a little extra power but i just cant do it.

Any tips because i'm either gonna break my bike or the trainer trying
    This is the original post, it does not specifically mention sprinting so possibly it may be related to climbing out of the saddle. if that is the case then it is very easy to do on the turbo by just rocking the body without rocking the bike.
  • pblakeney
    diamonddog wrote:
    deejaysee wrote:
    Naturally when you ride out the saddle on the road you swing the bike side to side quite a bit but obv on a trainer you cant do this.
    I've tried a few times while on Zwift for a little extra power but i just cant do it.

Any tips because i'm either gonna break my bike or the trainer trying
    This is the original post, it does not specifically mention sprinting so possibly it may be related to climbing out of the saddle. if that is the case then it is very easy to do on the turbo by just rocking the body without rocking the bike.
    I think the advice that I (and a few others) am trying to give is more pertinent. Try learning to ride out of the saddle without rocking the body, or the bike. It is more efficient that way.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    AK, stop trolling you cheb!

Of course sprints / HIIT sets are important, be it on a trainer or the road.

Yes I create more power on the road than on the trainer, but the trainer is still a very important bit of kit and has done my road performance the world of good.

When racing on Zwift, it's essential you get up out the saddle for the sprints, or there's no point racing at all. You can fully do one if you' thinking I'm gunna put out 1,400+ watts sitting down. I struggle holding half that when seated!
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop