Scosche Rhythm+

grahamcp
grahamcp Posts: 323
I'm looking to get a HRM - mainly for running but I now have access to a wattbike so may come in useful for that too.

I started looking at the standard garmin monitor (probably avoiding the premium due to the numerous issues reported) but have also seen the Scosche Rhythm+ armband style thing and thought it looked a really good idea - albeit a more expensive option.

DC rainmaker has an item on it from a couple of years ago, but I can't find too much since then... also they don't seem to be available through too many retailers.

So - anyone got/used one and if so would you recommend?

Comments

• Grahamcp wrote:
    So - anyone got/used one and if so would you recommend?

Yes, and yes.

I use it when running and cycling too, because I never liked wearing a chest strap. It works. Obviously you get none of the running dynamics you'd get from the fancy Garmin chest straps.

If you have access to a Wattbike, it should only be for reference afterwards, as you will be working to power.
  • grahamcp
    grahamcp Posts: 323
    Thanks for the quick reply! No I'm not bothered about the running dynamics stuff and the armband looks so much more comfortable than a chest strap so think I will go for one :-)
  • Grahamcp wrote:
    Thanks for the quick reply! No I'm not bothered about the running dynamics stuff and the armband looks so much more comfortable than a chest strap so think I will go for one :-)

Looks a bit odd when you're in a singlet, but that's about the only down side.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    I used one for over 6 months it is useless to me. I tried it in every different position on both arms, it would go wildly off base all the time, sometimes I would be standing still and it would climb up to over 140bpm then gradually drop down to where it should be. If I did sprint intervals it took ages to get up to correct bpm then ages to return.

My Polar chest strap doesn't do any of this. Plus when I rode off road CX and MTB it was nearly impossible to make it stay in place, something I've never had with a chest strap.

I bought it because of the review by DC Rainmaker, but you don't see anyone in the peleton wearing them.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • PK1
    PK1 Posts: 193
    Best to wear it on the top of your arm with the longer strap, but I do get misreads occasionally. The most annoying thing about it is the silly velcro strap which gets caught on your base layer when you put it on. This causes the HRM to come loose.
  • Skin colour can also affect it IIRC. Dark skin, even na deep suntan, can give poor readings with even the best optical hr straps. Further up the forearm is the best location too.

PCWorld/Currys sell these straps last time I went in just before Xmas. Near the health tracker stand
  • glynrs2
    glynrs2 Posts: 4,143
    I have one and would recomend it.
    I particularly find it better than a chest strap for running. Upper arm with longer strap works well.
    Only downside is you need to remember to charge it, whereas chest strap batteries seem to go on for years.
  • iron_duke
    iron_duke Posts: 117
    robertpb wrote:
    I used one for over 6 months it is useless to me. I tried it in every different position on both arms, it would go wildly off base all the time, sometimes I would be standing still and it would climb up to over 140bpm then gradually drop down to where it should be. If I did sprint intervals it took ages to get up to correct bpm then ages to return.

My Polar chest strap doesn't do any of this. Plus when I rode off road CX and MTB it was nearly impossible to make it stay in place, something I've never had with a chest strap.

I bought it because of the review by DC Rainmaker, but you don't see anyone in the peloton wearing them.

https://media.dcrainmaker.com/images/20 ... C_0426.jpg

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/01/tou ... o-men.html

Courtesy of your favourite reviewer :wink:

On the whole the pros will wear what there sponsors/teams tell them to.

FWIW my wife uses a optical hrm on Forerunner and has found it tracks pretty well.

Different people will have different experiences and I think all except they have their limitations but the tech is continuing to improve.