Increasing distance

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Veronese68 wrote:
    A couple of points that spring to mind.
    Marcusjb does some huge mileage rides, I don't think he puts out huge power. That strikes me as a red herring. I've done a 200km ride off the back of commuting 12 miles a day and a few longer rides. As mentioned many times, pace yourself and eat enough and you'll be fine. Your aris' may hurt though.
    If you call an odometer a mileometer can you talk about kilometres?
    Think the reasoning behind it is if you get your FTP from say 200 to 250W you're going to find riding at say 120W all day much easier (lower intensity factor - which basically just translates as sensible pacing).

Marcus is also quite a skinny chap so his power to weight is probably quite decent! Even if his headline power might not be that high (but maybe it is, who knows).

You're right though, it's all about pacing and eating.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    Just when you thought everything was going all quiet and civilised...

It's a bit unfair on HD. He's a tw@t not a tosser.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Pinno wrote:

No, definitely a tosser.

Lets not fall out, Can we not agree that he is both?
  • pinno
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

No, definitely a tosser.

Lets not fall out, Can we not agree that he is both?

Sod off you beany weany bum potty head.
  • ballysmate
    Plus HD did call someone "Pal"

Totally unacceptable.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    A couple of points that spring to mind.
    Marcusjb does some huge mileage rides, I don't think he puts out huge power. That strikes me as a red herring. I've done a 200km ride off the back of commuting 12 miles a day and a few longer rides. As mentioned many times, pace yourself and eat enough and you'll be fine. Your aris' may hurt though.
    If you call an odometer a mileometer can you talk about kilometres?
    Think the reasoning behind it is if you get your FTP from say 200 to 250W you're going to find riding at say 120W all day much easier (lower intensity factor - which basically just translates as sensible pacing).

Marcus is also quite a skinny chap so his power to weight is probably quite decent! Even if his headline power might not be that high (but maybe it is, who knows).

You're right though, it's all about pacing and eating.

Endurance riding is all about LSD ( not drugs ) Long Slow Distance riding. It's much easier now with modern tech to monitor the output.
  • CiB wrote:
    .. I made a passing comment [with smiley] about using km in the UK .

Should be km.
  • pinno
    @ Feisty: Glad you have a sense of humour. It's a very necessary attribute in here. If you survive this post, you're surely in a strong enough mental state and could knock out a long ride.
    Have you considered taking a friend who has had experience of longer distances along with you? Once you get over your first century, it is somehow much easier after that. Then you realise how much of the obstacle is in your head. I wouldn't rely on the heart rate monitor too much, go by feel, learn to go Piano Piano.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Pinno wrote:
    @ Feisty: Glad you have a sense of humour. It's a very necessary attribute in here. If you survive this post, you're surely in a strong enough mental state and could knock out a long ride.
    Have you considered taking a friend who has had experience of longer distances along with you? Once you get over your first century, it is somehow much easier after that. Then you realise how much of the obstacle is in your head. I wouldn't rely on the heart rate monitor too much, go by feel, learn to go Piano Piano.

He'll need a metronome then, rather than a bike computer
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    CiB wrote:
    feisty wrote:
    Thank you to those who provided positive encouragement and advice on pacing, eating etc. I don't have a power meter. I do have a heart rate monitor and could maybe use that to ensure I stay in zones 3 and 2 I guess to make sure I don't get too carried away at the start.
    No probs, pacing is what it's all about - go at it like a bull at a gate and you'll be on your last legs before Northamptonshire is out.

To the rest, get a grip. I made a passing comment [with smiley] about using km in the UK, then for some reason some halfwit comes over all passive aggressive calling me 'pal' for apparently not knowing the difference between odometer & speedo, even after me pointing out that it was a casual loose reference that had no matter on the question in hand, it's common to refer to it by the more informal term and even after this - "and b) odometer is a bit too specific and has a ring of 'look at me I know the right terms for this sort of thing' about it" - the amateur psychologists still can't wait to display their lack of comprehension and instead end up trying to win an argument that can only win by them admitting that they don't have much grasp of comprehension or idiom.

Whatever, as they say. Enjoy the ride feisty. I did.

'Get a grip' - from the guy who sends insulting direct messages to people :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

And it is KM when cycling :D
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I've always used miles. Does that mean none of my miles over the last 26 years even count?
  • ballysmate
    I'm just a leisure sort of cyclist but I wll start using kilometres instead of miles.
    It sound so much further.
  • Garry H wrote:
    Increase power not distance.

Why?
    Because power is a true measure of work
    No it isn't. Back to school.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,931
    Ballysmate wrote:
    I'm just a leisure sort of cyclist but I wll start using kilometres instead of miles.
    It sound so much further.
    Did I see your bike parked up the other day?

sofa-bike-web_orig.jpg
  • ballysmate
    Parked up would be right.
    That may be mine if it was in a beer garden.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    We will have none of this km nonsense when we've brexited...

I bet beryl burton used miles.
  • Imposter wrote:
    I've always used miles. Does that mean none of my miles over the last 26 years even count?

They count, but just not as kilometres.
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    Strangely though I have never seen a thread where someone asks how they can average 32 kph but plenty where the aim is 20 mph.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've always used miles, but then again I'm nearly 60. As a lad I used to plan my rides on Ordnance Survey maps at a scale of 1 inch to a mile. Back home I'd trace the route with a bit of cotton then measure it to see how far I'd gone, measured inches being miles. Then in my first year of secondary school a cycling tour down the Wye valley saw us doing the same but with Barts half inch to a mile maps, again easy to measure.

I think since in the UK we still use miles for all our road signage, and mph for speeds / speed limits, I'll carry on using imperial units.

I did think about changing the Garmin to km when I was cycling in Portugal last year though...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Unless I start doing Audax. They seem to like using those funny foreign killymeters.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    You could go all Transatlantic and refer to them as Klicks i.e. I did 200 Klicks today.
  • 180km is 8947 chains and 75 links. I'm going to request chains and links be added to the next Garmin update.
  • Is that assuming 12" over 12 links? What if your chain has stretched?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Is that assuming 12" over 12 links? What if your chain has stretched?

I would ask Edmund Gunter but he's long gone now!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_(unit)

As usual, the Americans have taken the unit, used the same name and slightly changed it just to mess with us.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    keef66 wrote:
    Unless I start doing Audax. They seem to like using those funny foreign killymeters.
    The 200km ride I did was an audax, plus it sounds better than 130ish miles. Most of my other rides are in miles. These things don't have to make sense do they?
    I should add that the audax I did had great food stops, highly recommend it.
  • stevie63 wrote:
    Strangely though I have never seen a thread where someone asks how they can average 32 kph but plenty where the aim is 20 mph.

Yes, but they're all invariably idiots.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Worst thread of the year, so far..
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Imposter wrote:

I don't think you can justify that unless you can apply a metric to it

how you going to measure it ... and in what units ?
  • fat daddy wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Groans per second.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    fat daddy wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Groans per second.

Fathoms, surely...