Soft tissue damage in leg.

kentphil
kentphil Posts: 479
A dog ran out in front of me last week and I ended up in a heap on the floor. The impact from the fall hasn't been too bad, but I twisted my leg where my foot was attached to pedal.
Doctor said I've got soft tissue damage in my upper leg. I'm still on crutches after a week and a half as it hurts to walk still. I've been off work and still don't feel like I can drive safely.

Anyone else been through a similar injury or got any advice?

Thanks.
1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
2004 Giant TCR

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Sounds like you need an x-ray or something. Soft tissue damage should be showing signs of recovery/improvement by now and if you are actually on crutches after 10+ days then I would be questioning the original diagnosis. I'm not medically trained though, so happy to be corrected.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Eldest son once tore his adductor doing long jump. That took a few weeks before he was able to move about without pain, and months before he was fully fit again. His brother had a badly sprained ankle playing football, and that too took weeks before it was pain free and 2 months before he felt fully able to rely on it again.

So soft tissue injuries can be very painful and take quite a while to heal. But if you feel you are making no progress at all, go back for a second opinion. You may need some kind of imaging to see if you have broken something or have soft tissue damage that requires surgical intervention.
  • kentphil
    Thanks for the replies, very helpful :-)

I've got a doctors appointment again on Monday. I've just been for a short hobble on one crutch and my leg isn't as painful as it was last week but I still cant walk unaided.
    Just good to hear other peoples experiences of similar injuries, thanks again.
    2004 Giant TCR
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    I had an incident quite similar on New Years Eve. I landed on my back. Fracture and lots of soft tissue damage. I am still in pain and finding it hard to walk or do much else really. It can take a long time to heal stuff like this. But if after a few weeks you still feel sore get another assessment of your injuries. Soft tissue includes everything but bone so tendons, ligaments, muscles, nerves, blood vessels. There is a lot there to injure and cause pain
  • kentphil
    Doctor thinks I've damaged my adductor as the pain runs up into my groin. Another 3-4 weeks before I'm fit again hopefully. I don't want to go out cycling too soon and put my recovery back further.
    2004 Giant TCR
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Shame its taking so long and causing so much grief but glad you seem to have a handle on it and it shouldnt be too long. Is that 3-4 weeks until you can start doing strengthening exercises or 3-4 weeks until you are back to normal? After so long keeping off the leg, it will need time and work to get it back to where it would normally be.

Oh - and how was the dog?
  • kentphil
    3-4 weeks before back to normal. It seems to be getting slightly better as the days go by. Doc said I could get some physio if it doesn't heal properly by 4 weeks time. Dog was fine by the way, I'm sure I would have killed it if I hadn't braked. I hate not being able to go out cycling.
    Thanks for asking :-)
    2004 Giant TCR
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Son was out of action for the whole of his 6 week holiday, and he was an extremely fit, athletic 16 yr old. Don't rush it. And whatever you do, don't try swimming breast stroke for a while.
  • kentphil
    Last week I went down to one crutch and now I'm able to hobble around without any crutches. I hope to be back on my bike next week after strengthening up my leg a bit this week.
    2004 Giant TCR