What would you upgrade first?

13»

Comments

• Steve-XcT wrote:
    Not really, it's you who brought up XC racing, drop offs and jumps when the OP is about a novice who isn't going to be encountering anything like that for a least a 2-3 months if they are sensible.

I just think, when starting out and riding easier stuff, everyone should learn to handle the bike without having to move the seat out of the way. When you first start doing proper MTB easy things most plow through can look difficult. If someone starts to think they need a dropper even to ride blue trails I think they will struggle when things get really steep. I've also seen people using a dropper and just dropping their ars* downwards rather than out over the back. I think unless they have someone picking them up on it then it teaches them poor technique that is harder to correct later down the line. A rigid seatpost (static? or just seatpost?) forces the rider to get out over the wheel or stay over the seat which, for a novice riding easier stuff, is probably where they should be.

I'll point out I also think everyone should speed time on the road riding a fixed wheel and should take a road bike off-road so my views on how best to learn might be different to others.

Not putting your weight far enough back is poor technique but one that is easily remedied when learning to manual and is far less likely to cause serious injury than not dropping the saddle at all....

I view the dropper as a modern piece of safety equipment for an intrinsically dangerous sport/hobby.
    In the absence of a dropper a QR clamp

When talking about new novices the most important thing I'd think of is them not having a serious accident ...
    Everything else is just progression ... in the direction they choose.

So you think a novice should wear a full face, body armour and a neck brace to ride a blue trail then? After all, it'll stop all those serious accidents. You make it sound like there was an epidemic of life-changing accidents in mountain biking before the dropper came out and it alone had some massive effect....
    Weakling alert.
    Better to be a weakling with working legs than a macho wheelchair user. (Nothing against Martyn here)

This had nothing to do with dropper posts so I'm not even sure why you quoted it. I've never said needing a dropper makes you a weakling.
  • Guys... lets drop this dropper debate (excuse the pun). We're way off topic now.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I appreciate all of the comments and will honestly take them into account before I make any upgrades. I'll ride the bike as it is for now.
  • Steve-XcT
    Steve-XcT Posts: 267
    So you think a novice should wear a full face, body armour and a neck brace to ride a blue trail then? After all, it'll stop all those serious accidents.
    Quite the opposite but helmet and gloves I'd heartily recommend...
    You make it sound like there was an epidemic of life-changing accidents in mountain biking before the dropper came out and it alone had some massive effect....

Not only the dropper post (or QR) but modern geometries... brakes etc.
    Should everyone should learn to drive in a Mark I Capri without seatbelts just so they know "how to drive properly" ?
    Weakling alert.
    Better to be a weakling with working legs than a macho wheelchair user. (Nothing against Martyn here)

This had nothing to do with dropper posts so I'm not even sure why you quoted it. I've never said needing a dropper makes you a weakling.[/quote]

It simply enforces a view that
    everyone should speed time on the road riding a fixed wheel and should take a road bike off-road

So everyone who learns to ride a bike..or they are a weakling. ???

Like learning to drive in a car with seatbelts or ABS ???
  • So has anyone actually recommended a specific dropper?
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607

• I only found it at this store:
    https://www.shore-lines.co.uk/index.php ... uct_id=286

Hope that helps.

What about the Fox Transfers?
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    depends how much you want to spend. most droppers are pretty good TBH Just remember you have to buy a lever on top of the price of the post. I think if I was getting a new one I'd go for the bike yolk Revive Dropper Post.
  • Angus Young
    POAH wrote:
    Just remember you have to buy a lever on top of the price of the post.

Don't they all come with a lever?
  • So has anyone actually recommended a specific dropper?

He said his mate had one he was buying.

It's a Ragley Marley frame which I don't think is stealth dropper compatible, so none of the suggestions so far are any good...
    POAH wrote:

Yes, they do. BikeYoke have options on their site depending on what you require, but it's part of the order.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    POAH wrote:

the fox ones, no

http://www.mojostore.co.uk/transfer-pos ... 2x20843501
  • Angus Young
    POAH wrote:

Wacky! That's like selling you a car but telling you that you have to buy the pedals on top.
  • POAH wrote:

Wacky! That's like selling you a car but telling you that you have to buy the pedals on top.

Or like buying a bike..... Then having to buy the pedals, oh wait!
  • Angus Young
    mrbubbaman wrote:
    POAH wrote:

Or like buying a bike..... Then having to buy the pedals, oh wait!

No. Because there's a good reason for them not giving you pedals (other than 'get you bys') with a bike.
  • The saddle... always. If you have a comfortable one on your old bike, use that or buy an identical one.
    After that, the wheels. The ones that come with an off-the-shelf bike usually are the first components to fail.
  • Angus Young
    boywoolner wrote:
    The saddle... always. If you have a comfortable one on your old bike...

Comfortable saddle? What is this mysterious thing you speak of?
  • boywoolner wrote:
    The saddle... always. If you have a comfortable one on your old bike...

Comfortable saddle? What is this mysterious thing you speak of?

One that's really wide, padded and is held up with massive springs.

No. One that fits your sit bones. You need to sit one one of those gel-type measurement things.