Tib Fib Fracture

Mapleford
Mapleford Posts: 5
Hi All
First ride back in the new year and off I came on black ice. Managed to break both Tib and Fib, needed leg manipulated and then a plate put in. Probably caused by being clipped in! Grrr. Anyway never done this before but thinking its probably a relatively common cycling injury so others out there have must have been through it.

Question: Apparently 6 weeks in a cast, apart from that I have no idea whats in front of me. What is? and tips please.

Comments

• fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    I came off my MTB at speed in 2011 and broke my ankle in 2 places, ends of the tib and fib where my bike was still attached to my foot as i rolled over etc.
    I was in a cast for 7 weeks and 2 days, then a boot thing for a month.
    It was soul destroying not being able to do anything - i was going out of my mind at home.
    Its still not right now, very limited movement and sometimes painful even after many weeks of physio.
    Fortunately i didnt need surgery in the end, had to go back to hospital for weekly xrays to check on healing progress.
    I wouldnt recommend it!

Good luck!
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • Fudgey wrote:
    I came off my MTB at speed in 2011 and broke my ankle in 2 places, ends of the tib and fib where my bike was still attached to my foot as i rolled over etc.
    I was in a cast for 7 weeks and 2 days, then a boot thing for a month.
    It was soul destroying not being able to do anything - i was going out of my mind at home.
    Its still not right now, very limited movement and sometimes painful even after many weeks of physio.
    Fortunately i didnt need surgery in the end, had to go back to hospital for weekly xrays to check on healing progress.
    I wouldnt recommend it!

Good luck!

Many Thanks,
    1 week on from op and going out of my mind, feel more sorry for my wife though as she's got everything to do now and also look after me on top of that. Still when I get up and the blood rushes into that leg it feels like a quick trip to hell. Cant wait for that to stop so its a lot more comfortable to move around on the crutches
  • fudgey
    I was on my jack for working/school hours and it was mind-numbing...

Get a thermos flask to transport tea in.
    There is only so much xbox, books and tv a man can take...

I kind of rushed back to work as soon as i could, which in hindsight was maybe not the best thing to do and i should have concentrated more on the physio side of things...
  • Thank the Lord tour of Australia starts next week, fortunately my wife's doing a flask every morning. Agree with how mind numbing the days are, at least i'm still a bit of a novelty with visitors. Might need to invest in xbox soon, self employed so being tight with pennies, no online shopping for bike bling
  • fudgey
    You will need something to pass the time, thats for sure.
    This was my effort...

image_zpssv2pcnac.jpeg[/URL]

image_zpsbueva2wh.jpeg[/URL]
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,485
    viewtopic.php?f=40011&t=12935228&p=18474273&hilit=Spiral+fracture#p18474273

I had a spiral fracture of the rib and fib and there's some informed advice from the link above.

About the best news I can give you is despite lying around your body is using a large amount of calories to repair itself so as long as you tighten the nut on the food intake you wont have to shift much in the way of excess.

The best thing you can do is rest and relax. You'll be bolloxed for energy levels anyway and won't have too much choice in the early days but be careful trying to push too hard too early as all you'll do is elongate your recovery.

The vet will take a very cautious approach due to the ambulance chasing scum and there's sweet FA you can do. I went private for a second opinion and he wouldn't change the overall cautious approach which left me with a slight out turned foot. That said I'm under another orthapedic consultant and he would have taken a different approach to the recovery so it's really down to the luck of the draw who's on duty in the A& E when you turn up.

As we are all different there's only subjective narratives out there so just go on what your body is telling you to do. It taught me patience as you can't reason, argue or quicken the repairing process. Eat a healthy diet, plenty of veg, stay of the beer as this degrades the repair process and sleep.

You can get these plastic covers which are reusable and means you can have a bath which is superb and shower when weight bearing.

It's easier to write but enjoy the rest as there's nowt you can do so cut it loose and chill.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Many thanks to you both,
    Was hoping as my first appointment has been delayed a week that I'd be given the boot, but whats in the other post that doesn't look likely. Good advice in there though.
    Decided not to hit the beer fairly early on as being half drunk, sudden need to pee and getting to the loo on crutches did not seem a good combination