Pyjama Shoppers

13»

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,350
    Sorry Mamba, really can't agree. But I have as much chance of convincing you as I do of stopping people shopping in pyjamas.
    Some of the posts about b.1998 are offensive, but he chose to come on here and be offensive so I have little sympathy. He is being treated the same way he treats others. Had he come on here, been civil and received the same treatment I would have reported it, but had he been civil it wouldn't have happened. Two wrongs don't make a right I know, but it's the nature of things.
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    I don't think that it's the shopping in pjs per se that is the issue, it's the underlying attitude that leads people to think it's an acceptable form of attire to wear outdoors (chasing foxes down the street excepted). Lazy slobs.

So everyone that shops in PJs is a member of some underclass...including these girls that have horses and muck out the stables in onesies?
    Bit of a generalisation, but in the vast majority of cases I would say so. A person that has so little pride in themselves they can't even be bothered to get dressed to go shopping is not going to be the sort of person that takes pride in their surroundings so I think it's a reasonable conclusion. If a person is really unwell and pops to the chemist to pick up some pills I can understand it. But the kind of person that thinks going to the supermarket or to take the kids to school in pyjamas is acceptable is more than a bit scuzzy.

^^^ What he said^^^
    At the end of the day I think that pyjamas are indoor wear, even in bed wear. The sight of it, the fact that such people can't be bothered to change, makes me wonder if they're taking home street dirt and sleeping it it.

As for the stable girls and onesies - are onesies classed as pyjamas, I genuinely don't know. But I bet after mucking out those onesies are straight in the wash, not dropping kids off at school or shopping at the corner grocers.

rjsterry wrote:
    So is shopping in PJs better or worse than shopping in fully lycra?
    That depends on the context: just popped into shop on way to somewhere else - fine; got dressed up in your best team kit to do the shopping - bit odd, but it's a free country; got dressed up in your best team kit but don't actually own a bike - starting to get a bit suspect.

Like the onesie thing above, horses for courses here to (sorry if anyone reads a pun in there!). As said, I wouldn't dress up in cycling lycra to go shopping - I've actually cycled home realising I need some groceries, and then got changed to go out shopping. BUT if I'm out on a lengthy ride, sure, I'll go into a shop for a snack wearing lycra - I'm on an outdoor pursuit, probably with friends who are looking after my bike outside, and it seems acceptable to me.

But I wouldn't wear either lycra or pyjamas just to go shopping in, just like I wouldn't go to bed in a suit. Maybe I'm an old stick in the mud and that one day we'll all be wearing thongs and body paint... for any activity. But, for now, I still believe in the 'right tool for the job'!
  • Obviously this is a very contentious issue so should we look at the origins of the Terry Towelling Trolley Dash.

Was it layabout la's from Liverpool with an unloved lettuce

Could it have been portly porkers from Peterboro with pungent privates

Or was it those pesky Bananas In Pyjamas
  • veronese68
    Or was it those pesky Bananas In Pyjamas
    Did they go out in their pyjamas? I can't remember much beyond them coming down the stairs and catching people unawares.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,738
    Agree that pyjamas for shopping are a bit slack, but it is way way down my list of things to worry about. Quite tempted to start riding around Kingston in pyjamas just to weird V68 out :twisted:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • veronese68
    rjsterry wrote:
    Agree that pyjamas for shopping are a bit slack, but it is way way down my list of things to worry about. Quite tempted to start riding around Kingston in pyjamas just to weird V68 out :twisted:
    Lycra pyjamas? :shock:
    That would be weird.
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348
    Veronese68 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Lycra pyjamas? :shock:
    That would be weird.

Get someone to make a pair out of this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PURPLE-PAISLE ... 1698181143
  • About six months ago I was in a Tesco one-stop in Milton Keynes. There was a guy in there in his mid-twenties wearing just a towelling dressing gown, flip-flops and a baseball cap walking around the store talking at high volume into a mobile. Made me laugh that he thought he could go shopping in a dressing gown, but made sure he put his cap on.

I was in my car when I saw him leave the store and get into an old BMW and drive off - so it wasn't as if he lived next door to the store and just nipped in.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,656
    Chavs have little enough opportunity for self expression without people clamping down on their dress habits like this.

Wonder if they go down the job centre dressed the same way?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Chavs have little enough opportunity for self expression without people clamping down on their dress habits like this.

Wonder if they go down the job centre dressed the same way?

Would explain a few things if they did.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,623
    http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/wo ... spartanntp

I hadn't previously realised that shopping in pyjamas is part of travelling culture.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    MrB123 wrote:

Marvellous source of material.

“I feel so embarrassed about it, that my picture is everywhere of me in my pyjamas.”

But evidently not so embarrassed that she wouldn't go out like that in the first place

“We are travellers and we feel like it is sexist and racist. It’s an attack on our culture and way of life.”

The man making the complaint didn't mention their sex, and i doubt he knew they were travellers. Bizarre that it is now "their culture" or "way of life" to go out in nightwear. I wonder if the rest of traveller community will take note, it'll certainly be easier to pick out them out from amongst the cowboys who come round asking to tarmac your drive.

The older I get, the better I was.

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    MrB123 wrote:

Whilst their men folk strip the church roof in their jamas. Hats off to them, bloody cold work. I wouldn't do it.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Capt Slog wrote:
    “We are travellers and we feel like it is sexist and racist. It’s an attack on our culture and way of life.”

Given that for the most part they aren't Romany gypsies with a genuine culture and ethnicity, maybe this is just an opportunity for us all to invent our own cultures thus allowing us to do whatever we want whenever we want (though not stealing stuff and badly tarmacking drives as those are already taken).
    Faster than a tent.......
  • 4 pages in, and no-ones posted this from The Big Lebowski!?!
    https://youtu.be/jW-TV8W5SLU
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Rolf F wrote:
    maybe this is just an opportunity for us all to invent our own cultures thus allowing us to do whatever we want whenever we want .

err, we do ...... no one wants to see a man waddling around in skin tight lycra on a sunday morning with shoes that make him look like he has poo'd himself

We are part of that culture

Well, I am not .. I wear MTB shoes and loose clothing in the expence of speed and comfort :mrgreen:
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Loose clothing what like pyjamas :D
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    fat daddy wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    maybe this is just an opportunity for us all to invent our own cultures thus allowing us to do whatever we want whenever we want .

err, we do ...... no one wants to see a man waddling around in skin tight lycra on a sunday morning with shoes that make him look like he has poo'd himself

We are part of that culture

Well, I am not .. I wear MTB shoes and loose clothing in the expence of speed and comfort :mrgreen:

Okay, we sort of do that, but not quite.

We might call at a shop if we are on a bike, and walk around the shop in lycra

But I'm guessing that given the choice, none of us has gone for a ride, and on returning home then decided to remain in the cycle gear for the rest of the day, and then gone to the shops in it? Or got up in the morning and decided to wear lycra and the shoes with no intention of riding the bike?

The older I get, the better I was.

• Stevo_666
    Webboo wrote:
    If you do downhill MTB'ing you end up wearing what looks like psychedelic pyjamas :)

troylee.jpg?format=original
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • webboo
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Webboo wrote:
    If you do downhill MTB'ing you end up wearing what looks like psychedelic pyjamas :)

There more chance of me going shopping in my pyjamas than going downhilling. Although there might be slight problem there as I don't own any.
  • Stevo_666
    Webboo wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Webboo wrote:

There more chance of me going shopping in my pyjamas than going downhilling. Although there might be slight problem there as I don't own any.
    Good point, I'd probably get arrested as I sleep in my underkeks :)
  • webboo
    In the buff for me. Not a good look for nipping in to Waitrose.