Change cassette or chain rings?

2»

Comments

• Germcevoy wrote:
    Germcevoy wrote:
    If 52-11 is a wasted gear you might as well go the whole hog and stick a compact at the front and whatever is the biggest range you can fit at the back. 50-11 is 123" gear, 52-12 is 117 so with the compact you don't lose out on any top end and you'll get several lower gears (34-32 is 29") than you had with the semi-compact (36-28 is 35").

I think this is the way to go. No point in keeping an almost redundant 52/11 when I can go compact and gain more useful gears at the other end.

A 34/32 might well be overkill but I'd rather have it in reserve for those occasions when it's needed rather than keep the 52/11.

It might be, but then you can always buy a new chain and an 11-28 and keep the 11-32/chain combo in case you are doing something where you really think you'll need it. I run 53/39 with an 11-25 most of the time on my geared bike and have an 11-28 incase I need a lower gear. It's good to have the options. I'd also have spare compact rings if I had the newer, asymmetric spider cranks.

The costs start to rack up if buying two chains, two cassettes, new rings and possible a longer cage derailleur to take the 32t cassette. More than I'd planned on spending.

I'll get compact rings and try them out with the existing chain and 11/28 cassette. If I still feel I need more then I'll explore an 11/32 at that time.

I wouldn't buy it all at once, only when required. Rather than just buying a new cassette if you think you need the 32 I'd get a chain as well, etc. As long as you manage the usage well you'll get loads of use out of them all. I've done it for a while on my fixed wheel, keeping specific chains for chainrings/sprockets and I've got loads of use out of relatively cheap bits because of it.
  • germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    Germcevoy wrote:
    Germcevoy wrote:
    If 52-11 is a wasted gear you might as well go the whole hog and stick a compact at the front and whatever is the biggest range you can fit at the back. 50-11 is 123" gear, 52-12 is 117 so with the compact you don't lose out on any top end and you'll get several lower gears (34-32 is 29") than you had with the semi-compact (36-28 is 35").

I think this is the way to go. No point in keeping an almost redundant 52/11 when I can go compact and gain more useful gears at the other end.

A 34/32 might well be overkill but I'd rather have it in reserve for those occasions when it's needed rather than keep the 52/11.

It might be, but then you can always buy a new chain and an 11-28 and keep the 11-32/chain combo in case you are doing something where you really think you'll need it. I run 53/39 with an 11-25 most of the time on my geared bike and have an 11-28 incase I need a lower gear. It's good to have the options. I'd also have spare compact rings if I had the newer, asymmetric spider cranks.

The costs start to rack up if buying two chains, two cassettes, new rings and possible a longer cage derailleur to take the 32t cassette. More than I'd planned on spending.

I'll get compact rings and try them out with the existing chain and 11/28 cassette. If I still feel I need more then I'll explore an 11/32 at that time.

I wouldn't buy it all at once, only when required. Rather than just buying a new cassette if you think you need the 32 I'd get a chain as well, etc. As long as you manage the usage well you'll get loads of use out of them all. I've done it for a while on my fixed wheel, keeping specific chains for chainrings/sprockets and I've got loads of use out of relatively cheap bits because of it.

I'll keep the current chain and cassette for next winter. Can pop them back on for turbo use.

Any new parts won't go on until April after the worst of the weather is over. Means I can get away without being too anal about what's on their now and gives me three months to keep an eye out for any bargain on what I need.

Shopping list is currently new cassette (probably 32), new chain and compact rings (though may still go for a nicer full crankset). The chap that works on my bike things my derailleur will take a 32 no problem.
  • W12_Lad
    W12_Lad Posts: 184
    I would try the 32 even if your mech is short cage. I have a short cage ultegra on 2 bikes. Both work perfectly with a 32 cassette.
  • germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    Seeing as I'm set on going to compact up front where is a decent place for buying chainrings? Until I can afford a nice Si I'll be happy to make donwitj new rings for the cranks in there already which are FSA Gossamer.

Most of the usual places I've looked have had odd sized rings. Is there a decent 50/34 combo anyone can link to or even individuals?

Nothing too flashy.
  • 10 speed, 5 arm, 110 BCD spider? If so any suitable rings will work. CRC have Tiagra ones for around £40 the pair.
  • I recently bought an FSA 36T one from CRC for £13.99. I know you're looking for a 34, but there are deals out there.
    Changing my Ultegra compact 50/34 to a 50/36.