5 - 10 mile Turbo training

timboellis
timboellis Posts: 223
As I am a shift working on 12 hour shifts find it hard on work days to fit time for going out on the bike and little for the turbo trainer.

However would say a 4 mile going at 80% on the turbo then 1 mile @ 90-100% be worth doing or not, this would to me be around a 20 min session give or take.

Or would it be better stretching this out to 8 miles and 2 miles?

Or much point at all and just save it for my days off and get a good 20-30 mile one in on Zwift or another app?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    80% of what? Usual rules apply here: what are you trying to achieve from a cycling perspective?
  • Fitness over the winter and generally keep my fitness up when on a stretch of shifts.

Also so I am fit for the coming year which will include a couple of smaller sportives 40-50 miles.

On top of this have the ability to do longer runs for leisure, and just general health and fitness.

I also do a little running approx. 10 miles a week running and some basic weights in the gym when I can fit it in with a lot of dog walking.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    If you've only got 20 minutes, then go for a tabata session, or simply warm up then ride at threshold for the remainder of the session.
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    Mile's don't count on the turbo, so base your session on time