FAO: Josh

Comments

• There are other things that mildly piss me off.

Take Lucy.p ... 8 posts in total, each of them to promote directly their cycling trip business... some of them with a nice and fake story attached, which wasted people's time to give genuine advice. 8 times has been reported for moderation, never been banned... why?
    Has anyone at all been banned since the new ownership took over?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Yossie was pretty darn good on the spannering (in fact one of the best) but look what happened to him.

You bite the hand that feeds you and you get generic rubbish taking its place.

What happened to Yossie? Doesn't ring any bell
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Banned for life with no definite reason given although I asked a few times on his behalf. Allegedly the mods at the time sent him a pm explaining why but they sent it his BR pm after he was banned so no one could see it. Refused to send it to me on his behalf.

3,000 odd posts, brilliant at workshop stuff (ex shop mechanic, runs his own sideline building commuter, training and race bi-cycles for everyone from mummy to world tri guys), builds race motorbikes, very popular amongst the forumites.

Acidic sense of humour but very witty (comes with his job).

Pinno knows him so can comment further if he wishes to.

I look at comments people like Joel sim, Briantrumpet etc put on here and if they were to people in my workplace to their face they would soon get a swift bop on the schnozzle.

I must admit that although my peers and I tend to call a spade a spade we do have a certain decorum - comments on here calling people certain insults wouldn't be used around normal people where I am (and by normal people I mean people who don't work with me).
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909

I must admit that although my peers and I tend to call a spade a spade we do have a certain decorum - comments on here calling people certain insults wouldn't be used around normal people where I am (and by normal people I mean people who don't work with me).

I thought you were a squaddie? WE, by definition, are not NORMAL PEOPLE

We're better than that 8)
  • Matthewfalle
    edited January 2017

I thought you were a squaddie? WE, by definition, are not NORMAL PEOPLE

We're better than that 8)

That my friend is the truest set of words I have ever read on here :)

Basically we are who they dream of being.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Banned for life with no definite reason given although I asked a few times on his behalf. Allegedly the mods at the time sent him a pm explaining why but they sent it his BR pm after he was banned so no one could see it. Refused to send it to me on his behalf.

3,000 odd posts, brilliant at workshop stuff (ex shop mechanic, runs his own sideline building commuter, training and race bi-cycles for everyone from mummy to world tri guys), builds race motorbikes, very popular amongst the forumites.

I look at comments people like Joel sim, Briantrumpet etc put on here and if they were to people in my workplace to their face they would soon get a swift bop on the schnozzle.

Can't help, don't remember.
    To get a permennt ban you need to do something pretty serious, if you are not a spammer. It was generally reserved for blatant racism and other intolerable offences. Trading insults and such would get a warning or a day to a week in the bad box at worst.
  • Matthewfalle
    Totes negatron that count. But it's in the past and he isn't coming back, so that's 20 odd years of mechanical and racing experience and knowledge lost.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Totes negatron that count.

Can we just stick to plain English, as per rules, rather than try to be cool using expressions that might lead to further misunderstanding? We already have all sorts of terrible grammar to contend with, let's try at least to speak in English, shall we?

I don't understand what you mean there...
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,741
    Banned for life with no definite reason given although I asked a few times on his behalf. Allegedly the mods at the time sent him a pm explaining why but they sent it his BR pm after he was banned so no one could see it. Refused to send it to me on his behalf.

To get a permennt ban you need to do something pretty serious, if you are not a spammer. It was generally reserved for blatant racism and other intolerable offences. Trading insults and such would get a warning or a day to a week in the bad box at worst.
    As I recall he reported a post where someone was abusing him on the forum when insults were being chucked around (may have been a mod at the time who chucked the insult?) - in the end it wasn't a major thing but he was trying to show some double standards. I think he had some 'previous' with the mods not long before. A mod decided he was wasting their time and banned him for life. IIRC. Not exactly an intolerable offence.

It was this sort of thing that created a real 'them and us' type situation between certain mods and many users in peoples minds. A bit like traffic wardens and motorists - the former seemed to be out to get the latter, rather than those mods being part of the user community who happened to help keep the peace. Ironically someone else who compared a mod at the time to a traffic warden also got banned for life...

And you wonder why that approach to modding wasn't popular?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Matthewfalle
    Stevo 666 wrote:

As I recall he reported a post where someone was abusing him on the forum when insults were being chucked around (may have been a mod at the time who chucked the insult?) - in the end it wasn't a major thing but he was trying to show some double standards. I think he had some 'previous' with the mods not long before. A mod decided he was wasting their time and banned him for life. IIRC. Not exactly an intolerable offence.

It was this sort of thing that created a real 'them and us' type situation between certain mods and many users in peoples minds. A bit like traffic wardens and motorists - the former seemed to be out to get the latter, rather than those mods being part of the user community who happened to help keep the peace. Ironically someone else who compared a mod at the time to a traffic warden also got banned for life...

Correct on both counts - well remembered that man.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Stevo 666 wrote:

I have to be honest with you: I think it was down to having the wrong people and not enough guidelines. I go as far as saying that both myself and the mod you probably refer to were a poor choice. I was chosen on the grounds that I had familiarity with the spannering part of the forum... I think at the time I was referred to as a "tech head" or something like that. I had too much time on my side and got involved too much, in too many threads and on both levels, as a user and as a moderator, which probably wasn't the right thing to do. Everything went pear shaped when I got challenged by Jesus Christ Superstar on three different levels (user, wheel builder and moderator) and I realised I had had enough of the all thing. It was about the same time when our decisions began to get questioned from the new owners... it was a splendid time to leave. :mrgreen:
    Not sure what happened to the other moderator, haven't heard from him in ages.

A good moderator is hard to find... most people aer either never available to do any work (and we had a few of those) or they are too available and get too involved... either too soft or too harsh... but most of all the site needed and still needs some guidelines or even better rules on moderating... consistency and all of that.

However, I am pretty sure Matthewfalle is someone who was there before... which is totally fine by me :-)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I remember getting a pm from someone telling me to watch what I said. Not recognising the person and assuming it was someone I had (mildly) abused I replied with "Who the f*** are you?" They appeared not to be amused by my reply.
    Turned out to be a roadie mod moonlighting in the MTB section. Can't remember who, but having gotten used to Nick and SS and their level of tolerance, I was a bit surprised by what I considered a bit of heavy handidness.
    I might try and get some bad stuff in whilst poor Josh is overworked.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Stevo_666
    I have to be honest with you: I think it was down to having the wrong people and not enough guidelines. I go as far as saying that both myself and the mod you probably refer to were a poor choice. I was chosen on the grounds that I had familiarity with the spannering part of the forum... I think at the time I was referred to as a "tech head" or something like that. I had too much time on my side and got involved too much, in too many threads and on both levels, as a user and as a moderator, which probably wasn't the right thing to do. Everything went pear shaped when I got challenged by Jesus Christ Superstar on three different levels (user, wheel builder and moderator) and I realised I had had enough of the all thing. It was about the same time when our decisions began to get questioned from the new owners... it was a splendid time to leave. :mrgreen:
    Not sure what happened to the other moderator, haven't heard from him in ages.

A good moderator is hard to find... most people aer either never available to do any work (and we had a few of those) or they are too available and get too involved... either too soft or too harsh... but most of all the site needed and still needs some guidelines or even better rules on moderating... consistency and all of that.

However, I am pretty sure Matthewfalle is someone who was there before... which is totally fine by me :-)
    Ugo, thanks - appreciate your honesty.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    wow i wasnt aware that Josh is on his own, why?

No offence to Josh but unless this new wave of time wasters are dealt with then this forum will lose even more if not all of the older experienced useful posters.

I must admit I've all but stopped offering workshop advice unless I know the OP, never sell or buy on here anymore either, which I did a fair amount of and worst of all no more social events, we used to do loads of drinks, rides, trips etc. BR even ran an article (and bought drinks) and apart from the odd visit all of the original SCR people dont post, love us or hate us we had some funny threads.

It would be a shame if the community spirit that was gets totally lost to the trolls.

PS. lose the god awful outbrain style ad banners, there are millions of less offensive services
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,367
    itboffin wrote:
    BR even ran an article (and bought drinks) and apart from the odd visit all of the original SCR people dont post, love us or hate us we had some funny threads.

It would be a shame if the community spirit that was gets totally lost to the trolls.

PS. lose the god awful outbrain style ad banners, there are millions of less offensive services
    Josh bought a few of us a drink a year or so ago, where were you?
    I agree with most others that there is a happy medium somewhere between Josh being overworked and heavy handed moderation. At the moment we, but mainly Josh, have to deal with the hand we have been dealt. I report a few things that I think overstep the mark, but try not to bury him in trivia as there is too much for one person to deal with. If you think something isn't right, please use the report button.
    I should stop responding to trolls as well, unfortunately I find it hard to resist.
    Enough of being sensible, I should do some work then abuse Piña on the forum.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,463
    Looking forward to it.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • smoggysteve
    I thought Pinno was the designated punching bag anyway :-)
  • pinno

That's a bit rich coming from the tribe that were always the poor cheap labour substitutes for the Mackems.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,367
    Exactly, the abuse and mucking about has it's place. And Piña is that place, or a few of the rest of us. When giving advice, especially to newcomers, we should try to be more circumspect. There's nothing wrong with a bit of humour but there is no need to be offensive as some are prone to. I do say if something sounds rude try reading it with a smile on your face as that's probably the way it was intended, often doesn't seem as bad then.
  • smoggysteve
    Pinno wrote:

That's a bit rich coming from the tribe that were always the poor cheap labour substitutes for the Mackems.

Careful or I'll set Stevo666 onto you. You know he's like a pitbull. Loyal stupid and vicious
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:

Careful or I'll set Stevo666 onto you. You know he's like a pitbull. Loyal stupid and vicious

What, the smoggy who escaped to soft land to live amongst the soft people doing soft work who gets lifts in vans to go soft cycling? Pah. Silly, toothless Poodle.
  • smoggysteve
    Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

What, the smoggy who escaped to soft land to live amongst the soft people doing soft work who gets lifts in vans to go soft cycling? Pah. Silly, toothless Poodle.

I regretfully retract my previous statement
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

He'll be hot footing it down here looking for some form of retribution... Should be fun. Watch this space. It will probably be along the lines of 'loads a money'. Yawn.

In the meantime, I think we need to impress Josh to impress those above him to increase the moderation just a little.
    May I suggest, 1 elected person per forum? That way, individuals wouldn't be pushed to over see too much.
    Monty Dog - Workshop.
    Rick C - Pro Race
    VN - BB
    Road beginners - application in writing :D:wink:
    Road general - as above
    etc etc

The forumites could put a candidate forward themselves.
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Come on then, I'll have both of yers...

And BTW Pinno it's a cockerpoo, not a poodle, thicky :wink:
  • smoggysteve
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Oh erm sorry Stevo. Didn't think you were into that sort of thing
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Oh erm sorry Stevo. Didn't think you were into that sort of thing
    Smoggy, go google it - just be careful with spelling and word spacing.
  • smoggysteve
    Google poodle see if there's a doodle
  • Pinno wrote:
    Monty Dog - Workshop..

I know him... I highly doubt he would want to get involved with moderating.

Personally I would avoid putting someone on a specific forum because he has expertise in a particular area, remember that was the rationale for giving me the role. :twisted:

As much as I like Rick, I have to say that the racing forum is basically a small bunch of regular blokes who know each other intimately and rule the all threads. If someone else posts, generally gets ignored.
    I don't see the benefit in turning every section into a replica of the bottom bracket, where only "regulars" post... it's the roadmap to extinction
  • pinno
    I don't quite understand that. Why should on mod per forum dissuade people from roaming into other parts of the forum?
    Anyway, friendly mods who get stuck in and keep things rolling (Nick Louse in CC, VN in BB for example). Moderation is surely not simply about discipline and handing out warnings.
    Just because VN is part of BB, doesn't stop me using other parts of the forum and anyway, we've seen a resurgence of users and some new faces in BB because actually, they find that BB isn't the apparent cesspool that people think it is. We haven't had a proper fall out in there for eons and that is most probably down to the moderation.

If you empower individuals, then you are creating an atmosphere of 'this is our forum' and 'this is what we can get out of it' in a much more pro-active way.
    Then those individuals who want to sit in a box or hide behind a keyboard will go by the way side.

The forum needs to change and diversify or it will die.

This is where I think Josh can use his influence because the right sort of moderation provides the right sort of environment for good discussion, healthy banter and promoting 'get togethers'.
    The forum has to be intrinsically linked to all aspects of cycling. Too many people I think, never look at the home page.
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    I don't quite understand that. Why should on mod per forum dissuade people from roaming into other parts of the forum?
    Anyway, friendly mods who get stuck in and keep things rolling (Nick Louse in CC, VN in BB for example). Moderation is surely not simply about discipline and handing out warnings.
    Just because VN is part of BB, doesn't stop me using other parts of the forum and anyway, we've seen a resurgence of users and some new faces in BB because actually, they find that BB isn't the apparent cesspool that people think it is. We haven't had a proper fall out in there for eons and that is most probably down to the moderation.

If you empower individuals, then you are creating an atmosphere of 'this is our forum' and 'this is what we can get out of it' in a much more pro-active way.
    Then those individuals who want to sit in a box or hide behind a keyboard will go by the way side.

The forum needs to change and diversify or it will die.

This is where I think Josh can use his influence because the right sort of moderation provides the right sort of environment for good discussion, healthy banter and promoting 'get togethers'.
    The forum has to be intrinsically linked to all aspects of cycling. Too many people I think, never look at the home page.
    +1

Although you may want to clarify that when you say VN, you mean Veronese68 :wink: