Wheels ugrade is it worth it?

mattyh3
mattyh3 Posts: 2
edited December 2016 in Road buying advice
Have my contend sl2 for a few months now after my defy got stolen so got the next gen replacement.
Currently there in the giant sr2 wheelset but i have ordered some continental go4000s tires with conti light tubes as i had on the defy, i never changed my rims on the defy just had the gp 4000s.
I have weighed both wheels with tires on etc and together there just sort of 3kg.
So is it worth spending on some new rims or just stick with the upgraded tires when they arrive?

Comments

• bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Having been in this situation a few times I would say it's a worthwhile upgrade but really not necessary. You are likely to feel the benefit on the first few rides then it all just becomes normal. IMO the only reason to upgrade is if you compete or have a specific need I.e you need a higher spoke count or want to go tubeless etc.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I find the previous post baffling. Changing your wheels only necessary if you compete, want a higher spoke count or want to go tubeless? Changing the wheels has benefits that are as valid to an amateur weekender as anyone.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Over the past 7 years I have always built my own wheels (and bikes). Previously I used the wheels that came with the bike... I have had Aksium, an upgrade to expensive DT Swiss wheels (1450 grams for the pair!) and a pair of Alex rims on some basic Shimano disc hubs.
    The difference when I began to make my own wheels and chose decent components has been remarkable. Not only they ride better, they have more compliance and they are marginally lighter (in most cases), but they are also more robust and trouble free. I have never had a failure of any sort on any of the wheels that I built for myself, whereas, the above mentioned factory wheels have been endless source of trouble (except the Aksium)...

A wheel upgrade is a sensible thing to do if you get a better pair of wheels. If you do a lot of miles, get something which is quality and made to last or made to be fixable, if you have speed ambitions, then get something designed for speed.

Like in other walks of life, there isn't an answer that fits all... it might well be that your wheels will do a sterling job and will never need upgrading.
    left the forum March 2023
  • A lot of bikes are sold with some cheap round things on them in the expectation that people will upgrade but everybody wants something different. Similar reason as to why bikes tend not to come with pedals and have a cheap saddle fitted. A friend bought a £1500 Colnago Ace and that came with some heavy £80 wheels. Even some modestly priced RS81s transformed the ride. For sure it's a law of diminishing returns but get some good quality honest wheels and you'll really notice it.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bmxboy10
    philthy3 wrote:
    I find the previous post baffling. Changing your wheels only necessary if you compete, want a higher spoke count or want to go tubeless? Changing the wheels has benefits that are as valid to an amateur weekender as anyone.
    Perhaps Ugo said it better than me but here we go again on bikeradar........
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    If you have 3kg wheels there is scope for weight saving and as ugo said there is scope for improved reliability. Like ugo i build all my own wheels and they also never go wrong. Many of them are stiffer than what i coild buy off the shelf and yet are more comfortable although rim widtn helps alot here.

I have a couple of sets that weigh less than 2kg with tyres, cassettes and skewers fitted. Other sets which are very stiff weigh from 1400g bare. You may not want to go that light but it gives an idea of a headline saving that can be acheived.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    Two of the above replies are from people who see the OP, and other readers, as a potential customer(s). Same 2 people post the same "advice" in virtually every wheel thread that there is on here. For a dot com website it's amazing how parochial this place can feel. ..............tbpntahijjc0remyscsa.jpg

The words "impartial advice" do not loom large. :idea:
  • bmxboy10
    MikeBrew wrote:
    Two of the above replies are from people who see the OP, and other readers, as a potential customer(s). Same 2 people post the same "advice" in virtually every wheel thread that there is on here. For a dot com website it's amazing how parochial this place can feel. ..............tbpntahijjc0remyscsa.jpg

Who Ugo doesn't build for people anymore
  • Stop ruining things with facts solboy
  • cycleclinic
    No i dont see the op as a potential customer. That is not why i post. Ugo does not build wheels for others. I also dont get trade because i post on br that is not how it works. i dont care what the op does but if the op has 3kg wheels and feels like a change some gains can be had.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,316
    There used to be a saying along the lines of 'save on parts, spend on wheels'. Wheels have a phenomenal effect on he performance of your bicycle but it's horses for courses and the OP is lacking some critical information.
    He needs to state the miles he does, previous wheels he has ridden )as a yardstick), the terrain he covers (mostly) and the type of riding he does from touring to racing to sportives or Audax, his weight etc and then he may get some better advice.
    Too little info. and therefore I don't quite know what he expects.
    3kg including tyres, tubes and cassette isn't particularly heavy. My DA CL1380's weigh 1390 gms (yep they do) plus Ambrosio cassette (400gms), 2 x Vittoria Open paves (240 x 2, 480 gms), 2 x Vittoria latex tubes (2 x 75 gms) add 2 skewers (2 x 100 gms) = 2.6 kg's approx. before I have even put air in them! and they are a very light pair of hoops.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • MikeBrew
    edited December 2016
    Bondurant wrote:
    Stop ruining things with facts solboy
    Now that would be a novelty....... :lol:
  • bmxboy10
    :D
    Bondurant wrote:
  • MikeBrew
    No i dont see the op as a potential customer. That is not why i post. Ugo does not officially build wheels for others. I also dont get trade because i post on br that is not how it works. i dont care what the op does but if the op has 3kg wheels and feels like a change some gains can be had.

Hey, who mentioned names ? And do you REALLY not see any single reader as a potential customer ? REALLY ?
  • MikeBrew
    solboy10 wrote:
    Bondurant wrote:

Glad to see you're lending your weight to the parochial argument there Solboy....Albeit unwittingly :roll:
  • bmxboy10
    MikeBrew wrote:
    solboy10 wrote:
    Bondurant wrote:

Glad to see you're lending your weight to the parochial argument there Solboy....Albeit unwittingly :roll:
    as I said before I really dislike this forum these days because of twats like you
  • pinno
    I never thought for a moment that such a seemingly innocuous thread would lead to a box of popcorn.
    Happy days.
  • bmxboy10
    Pinno wrote:
    I never thought for a moment that such a seemingly innocuous thread would lead to a box of popcorn.
    Happy days.
    I did it's normal these days sadly
  • MikeBrew
    solboy10 wrote:
    MikeBrew wrote:
    solboy10 wrote:
    Bondurant wrote:

as I said before I really dislike this forum these days because of twats like you pointing out how stupid I am

I don't know for sure, but i'm guessing that that passes for an intelligent riposte - in your "world"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOtpgz4L5d8
  • MikeBrew
    To the Op I would say that anyone that tells you, too often, that A is better than B ; hand-built is better than factory ; or factory is better than hand-built, is probably peddling what they are suggesting you should be pedaling.... :wink:
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    MikeBrew wrote:
    Two of the above replies are from people who see the OP, and other readers, as a potential customer(s). Same 2 people post the same "advice" in virtually every wheel thread that there is on here. For a dot com website it's amazing how parochial this place can feel...

I hear Planet X are selling some cheap wheels...
  • zanelad
    zanelad Posts: 269
    Surely the only considerations should be, do you want new wheels and can you afford them.

As to what others think, who cares?

I've put hand built wheels from Harry Rowlands on my hybrid because I'm a heavy old Hector and the rear is always going out of true. Since the new wheels, no problems at all.

By the time I'd sold the old wheels the cost wasn't that great. They look nicer too, but I doubt that anyone other than me will notice.
  • cycleclinic
    edited December 2016
    Actually mikebrew i think the trade of people who post on br nakes up a very tiny proportion of my turnover and given the time i taking posting it is a very unproductive of getting a customer so no mikebrew i dont post to get a customer.

I dont think there are any firm rules for wheel purchases but i would examine spares availability. I get lots of calls from people asking will this freehub fit my wheels get lots of returns because people buy the wrong freehub even though i list compatability, all because spares are not as widely available as you think and many shops dont seem to carry stock or have the knowledge. To pick on planet X there customer service cant seem to advise many of the people who contact me what freehub there wheels use. Certainly extreme cynicism is certainly not the best way to make a purchase.
  • pinno
    Actually i think trade of people who post on br nakes up a very tiny proportion of my turnover and given the time i taking posting it is a very unproductive of getting a customer so no mikebrew i dont post to get a customer.

Hic!
  • MikeBrew
    Pinno wrote:
    Actually i think trade of people who post on br nakes up a very tiny proportion of my turnover and given the time i taking posting it is a very unproductive of getting a customer so no mikebrew i dont post to get a customer.

Hic!

Well, the main thing is that he hasn't been stewing on it for 2 days... :roll:
  • pinno
    MikeBrew wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Hic!

Well, the main thing is that he hasn't been stewing on it for 2 days... :roll:

Not sure what you're implying MB TBH (and no offence). The Cycle Clinic is usually very articulate and I was simply making a joke. I'm sure he'll blame it on the predictive text and not the alcohol...
  • cycleclinic
    Err christmas mike being doing other things, yesterday i drove back from liverpool with my daughter geting back late and the day before spent most of the day on my bike. Today spent all of it with my daughter. i have not even looked at this thread for two odd days and i wont be looking again for sure. It has been ruined somewhat and the op like on many threads has long since left.
  • MikeBrew
    I'm sure taht an awful lot of OP's leave here because of the awfully repetitive nature of an awfully large number of posts by an awfully small (>1,<3) number of posters with some very narrow and wholly un impartial "advice" . It's a dot com site and you and whathisname peddle this nonsense about your wares as if it was actually representative or even relevant in the wider scheme of things. Statistically, it's clearly not - it just can't be.
    Happy new year ! :D
  • bmxboy10
    MikeBrew wrote:
    I'm sure taht an awful lot of OP's leave here because of the awfully repetitive nature of an awfully large number of posts by an awfully small (>1,<3) number of posters with some very narrow and wholly un impartial "advice" . It's a dot com site and you and whathisname peddle this nonsense about your wares as if it was actually representative or even relevant in the wider scheme of things. Statistically, it's clearly not - it just can't be.
    Happy new year ! :D
    MB or more bullshit as I will refer to you from now on you really are a piece of work. The main reason OPs leave is because of people like you sitting at home hiding behind your PC trying to create negative impression of others. I am pretty sure the majority of us think people like Cycle Clinic and others are giving good sound and impartial advice and this is far more valuable than the insults you seem to enjoy trading. I am sure you will respond back in due course with some seemingly obscure remark and im sure you will do this in the next five minutes as clearly you have no life and nothing else to do. I've set the stopwatch.......
  • MikeBrew
    soldboy wrote:
    I am sure you will respond back in due course with some seemingly obscure remark and im sure you will do this in the next five minutes as clearly you have no life and nothing else to do. I've set the stopwatch.......

Gosh I'm slow replying, I do apologize. Have a re-read on your above comments and see if you can spot the irony of your own words - second time of reading.. :roll: I seem to remember putting quite a but of time into trying to help you make your bike fit a while back. Clearly, since then, I've had a different view than you on something and that simply can't be tolerated in your closely knit clan, can it. Yes Parochial is definitely the right word, as you so ably demonstrate :mrgreen:

Happy new year. Do try to actually ride your bike tomorrow. The real world of cycling is so much more fun than just buying bikes, some that fit - some that don't and chatting about them to online "aficionados" ... You really must try it more often. :P