Pegoretti Mxxxxxo Ciavete

Comments

• At least we've all learnt a very useful Italian phrase from this thread, even if bike build progress has been slow / non existent.

It's not Italian, it's a regional dialect from Veneto
    left the forum March 2023
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    edited July 2017
    Had a couple of hours this morning so once I'd fathomed out how the cranks actually went together (thanks Power2Max for the absence of any instructions, god bless the internet), I started building...

[Hate Photobucket]

Excuse the lack of seatpost (ordered one which doesn't fit the oval rails on the saddle) and the rather extended front end, will hopefully be able to sort all of that tomorrow. The stem will also be changed for an all black one once I've settled on what size.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,320
    I started building...
    Woohoo!!!
  • I've just let out a satisfied grunt of approval and my wife turned round and enquired .... "Is it nook nook night"? :D
  • Don't touch the stem, the stem is ace
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Jealous. Gonna look awesome.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Is that bike tiny or are your garage doors and lock huge?
  • meesterbond
    solboy10 wrote:
    Is that bike tiny or are your garage doors and lock huge?

It's about a 54cm frame I think... and I don't think the garage doors are particularly oversized but I'd agree, it does look really small! Maybe something with the perspective, my lack of photographic prowess and the absence of seatpost and the odd stack on the head tube.

Was fully intending to finish it today but after faffing about with the Nokon cables I was intending to fit I found the hole in the rear mech cable stop isn't big enough to take the liner. I don't mind drilling the downtube barrel adjusters to get them to take the liner but I was too scared to even consider drilling out the cable stop. More traditional Campag cables on order.

At this rate I might have finished it in time to ride it this summer.
  • pnev
    pnev Posts: 236
    Rethink the bar/hood position, looking great though
  • Lovely frame - try out a 17 deg stem though, like Thomson x2, as it'll match the horizontal top tube ( and you've still got some spacer above that stem which could go under the 17deg stem so it won't be drastically lower overall)
  • beanstalk
    beanstalk Posts: 143
    coops1967 wrote:
    and you've still got some spacer above that stem which could go under the 17deg stem so it won't be drastically lower overall)
    That would look even worse than it is now but TO is working on it.

Was this frame made to measure?
  • No..... ;-)
    this is what would look worse (!) - i'd google about these frames, saw this nice white frame with.... oh, dear

Pegoretti-Marcelo.jpg
  • beanstalk
    beanstalk Posts: 143
    It seems, Pegoretti doesn't do sloped top tubes.
  • meesterbond
    Don't read anything into the position of the stem and bars on the pic - the frame was made to measure and the stem should eventually be slammed. It's only in that position to allow me bolt things to it at the moment!

I've actually got a 17 degree stem lying around somewhere so I'll give that a go too.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    beanstalk wrote:
    It seems, Pegoretti doesn't do sloped top tubes.

Seems not. Although, if that white bike didn't look sh*t enough already, I can't help thinking it would look even worse with a sloping tt..
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    You're right, he won't do a sloping top tube. His frames have a "Dropped top tube" though. Which is why the head tube extends above the top tube so much. If you look at the bikes he made for big Mig they all have that feature. The big man used to run quite a lot of quill sticking out on his too, the old school equivalent of a spacer stack.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Don't read anything into the position of the stem and bars on the pic - the frame was made to measure and the stem should eventually be slammed. It's only in that position to allow me bolt things to it at the moment!

I've actually got a 17 degree stem lying around somewhere so I'll give that a go too.

Don't slam it; spacer and a -17 looks better on a peg.
  • meesterbond
    edited July 2017
    OevyCgw.jpg

Pretty much there, save for a bit of tinkering once I've got out on it and fixing the bar tape...
    I think I'll need a slightly longer stem but agree about using a -17 degree one. Had to swap out the steerer bung thing - the one supplied would not allow me to dial all the play out of the headset. Luckily I had another lying around. Also needs some Speedplay pedals - the Time one was just on there to make it easier to spin the cranks when indexing.
  • IMG_3325_1.jpg

Pretty much there, save for a bit of tinkering once I've got out on it and fixing the bar tape...
    I think I'll need a slightly longer stem but agree about using a -17 degree one. Had to swap out the steerer bung thing - the one supplied would not allow me to dial all the play out of the headset. Luckily I had another lying around. Also needs some Speedplay pedals - the Time one was just on there to make it easier to spin the cranks when indexing.

It's a beautiful lovely vision of beautiful loveliness ;)
  • Very nice... the 17deg stem is good (except that ugly 3T branding... it comes off easily with isopropyl alcohol/paint thinner - stripped it all of my ergonova bar).

Tis a lovely frame....
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    It's a fine looking machine, a world away from the generic identikit stuff from the big producers. Would love to read your thoughts on how it rides.
  • meesterbond
    Shortfall wrote:
    It's a fine looking machine, a world away from the generic identikit stuff from the big producers. Would love to read your thoughts on how it rides.

Ride it?
  • shortfall
    Well yes lol. I would happily hang it on my wall as a piece of art but it would be a crime not to have a spin on it and report back!
  • Photos taken from under the bars level always look crap... also, you want the chain to be on the large chainring. You spent a lot of money on this bike, it deserves a better photo.

Personally I think this is a good angle to take a shot, it does even polish a turd, so to speak :wink::mrgreen:

DSC_5572_zpsnnqi3i62.jpg
  • shortfall
    Wow that's a funky mech! Or is it a chain tensioner? Nice looking bike.
  • Shortfall wrote:
    Wow that's a funky mech! Or is it a chain tensioner? Nice looking bike.

The second you said
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Amazing bike. I've just DM'd you meesterbond, I was hoping for a little advice on ordering from Pegoretti.
  • meesterbond
    edited July 2017
    A few more pics for you, now I've actually finished and ridden it...

After I re-did the bar tape (again) and sorted the indexing a bit I thought I'd take it for a little spin, check it's all bolted together correctly... nothing too rapid, just wanted to check the fit.
    Usually on these sorts of ride I end up stopping every so often to move the bars / saddle etc etc.. this time, nothing at all. Fitted like the proverbial glove. I'm still not 100% settled on the saddle but it'll do for the time being. It'll kill me on the turbo but is fine on the road.

So, how does it ride? Well, it's quick... the other steel bike I have is a bit more of a cruiser, whereas this just encourages you to go for it. It doesn't really feel like any steel bike I've ridden, it's more like a carbon race bike. The front end felt very lively, almost skittish... probably down to the light 50mm wheels and the stiff breeze plus a slightly shorter stem than I think it was intended for. Doesn't take long to get used to it and by the end of the 45 min ride I wasn't really noticing it. I'll also stick 25mm tyres on it when these 23mm tubs have worn out. I can't say that uncomfortable though - probably because I was having too much fun!

Anyway, it's too early to give any real indication but this was always an unnecessary purchase, bought because I really, really wanted a Pegoretti, not because I need it...

Now I just need to tell the wife that it's living next to the bed rather than in the garage...

hHo8SBN.jpg

Mrw6dsp.jpg

v2cxO6f.jpg
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Looking good. A pegoretti has to go on the n+1 list for me definitely
  • Rudd
    Rudd Posts: 264
    Great thread - particularly as I have basically the same bike on order! I was wondering if you could let me know how long it took to arrive from when you placed your order? I paid my deposit in early October so starting to think it should arrive soon!