2017 targets

1235»

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    cjcp wrote:
    May just about scrape over 6,000 miles for the year. Lowest annual mileage since records began (for me - 2008 or so), I think.

In entirely unrelated news, I'm also a bit heavier than last year.

Just keep telling ‘em it is all muscle

Or that you’re just big boned

:D

I may revert to the Shreddies and red wine diet...
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    Passed 14,000 kilometres this morning for calendar 2017, representing 500 moving hours on the bike. A 10,000 mile distance goal for the year was (in retrospect) stupid for someone with a family and a demanding job, but at this rate, I'll grind it out. Never again though.
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    10,000 miles is off the scale. How old are your kids, out of interest?
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    My big target for 2017 was a secret because I never believed it would actually happen.

We only went and organised a whole bl**dy CX race! For 350-odd riders!

Still hasn't quite sunk in.....
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • dyrlac
    London-Red wrote:
    10,000 miles is off the scale. How old are your kids, out of interest?

13, 11 and 9. They know daddy has a small problem :D

Full disclosure: I'm counting zwift "distance" in the total on the grounds that the physics model is pretty good and I'm certainly working harder on the turbo than on the commute.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    TGOTB wrote:
    My big target for 2017 was a secret because I never believed it would actually happen.

We only went and organised a whole bl**dy CX race! For 350-odd riders!

Still hasn't quite sunk in.....

Good stuff TGOTB. :D
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Dyrlac wrote:
    Passed 14,000 kilometres this morning for calendar 2017, representing 500 moving hours on the bike. A 10,000 mile distance goal for the year was (in retrospect) stupid for someone with a family and a demanding job, but at this rate, I'll grind it out. Never again though.

Chapeau sir! I did that one year i think by 1 mile and swore never again, that's one promise i've kept, its just insane with a real life.

ah the old days of the silly commuter stats :lol:

NEVER AGAIN

edit: what now ...!? turbo miles oh no no, you'd better start again next year, tut tut tut
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • dyrlac
    itboffin wrote:

edit: what now ...!? turbo miles oh no no, you'd better start again next year, tut tut tut

Oh I agree, regular turbo "miles" shouldn't count, but zwift "miles" using a high-end smart trainer set at 100% gradient simulation and scrupulously honest weight and height entries surely counts for something. No? The 400 boris bike kilometres are more suspect from a fitness standpoint.

(yes, I protesteth too much ... slinks off in shame ---> )
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    1. Complete 3K miles, up from 2k for this year.
    2. Convince Hampshire Police to take up the Close Pass stance that WMP Traffic have.
    3. Sample more Belgium beers.
    4. Buy a cargo bike & take kids to the coast (15 miles) in it.
    5. Get to top 5 for the 5 segments i cross daily

I guess 2 is probably the hardest of all.

Apparantly I put in twice, fool.

1. Broke 1300 miles yesterday, so 3k's going to be close , but at least on path for > 2k miles.
    2. Hampshire are doing Close Pass initiative, but not that often :/
    3. More Belgium beers have been sampled. Yet more to sample.
    4. Half way to funding it.
    5. Way, Way off. Me'h

1 - Currently on 2390 miles recorded, (~ 2+ months with no recording , so would be close to 3k miles.. Not sure i'll get to 2500 miles recorded though - not enough working/cycling days left).
    2 Op Close Pass in Hampshire appears to have stopped.... (bugger)
    3 Belgium Beers - Nope, but a large selection is on my xmas list.
    4 Cargo Bike - Borrowed a Babboe Big for a week ... then realised I don't like it...
    5 2nd on 1 segment - lost out by 1 second. Others I'm way off on.
    Bonus - Exceeded 40Km climbed.. and I hate climbing hills.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • 2. Convince Hampshire Police to take up the Close Pass stance that WMP Traffic have.

I guess 2 is probably the hardest of all.

2. Hampshire are doing Close Pass initiative, but not that often :/

2 Op Close Pass in Hampshire appears to have stopped.... (bugger)

Meant to comment on Operation Close Pass stopping in Hampshire so soon the other day when I read your post.

Very disappointing, the police could and should have had a field day in Southampton alone!

I barely use the main roads and I have at least one close pass a week before 0700, on a three day working week, between Bitterne and the city centre on the A3024. It's not as quiet at that time as it used to be 5+ years ago, but it's far less busy than rush hour, when I simply would not think of using that road out of choice.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • j_mcd
    j_mcd Posts: 473
    Last day in the office this year for me. Have managed to commute 4500 miles this year, 1000 ahead of my previous best.

Quite happy with that, next year the big 5000 has to be my target!
    Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
    Planet X London Road - Wet
    Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days
  • Since moving to Brisbane from London at the end of 2015 (September), my mileage has increased ten fold, from 6,000km in 2015, to an aim of 16,000km for 2017! (Did 10,000km in 2016)

I'm at 15,489km as of today, so my target is in sight!! :shock: :D (no 'virtual' miles), the weather out here helps....... :mrgreen:
    If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    6,695.5 mi this year and 327,467 ft my worst year in the last 4, but its not over yet i could still hit 7k miles

not commuting for 6 months has not helped, who knew
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • 19600 miles, so far, having set a target of 20000 for the year. No ‘virtual miles’, and only a thousand or so miles are commuter miles. I was going to wind down at 18000 miles, but I’m so close to the 20000 target, it would seem rude not to push for the last 400 miles before the new year. I’m doing the Rapha festive 500 to try and keep the motivation going.
  • 19600 miles, so far, having set a target of 20000 for the year. No ‘virtual miles’, and only a thousand or so miles are commuter miles. I was going to wind down at 18000 miles, but I’m so close to the 20000 target, it would seem rude not to push for the last 400 miles before the new year. I’m doing the Rapha festive 500 to try and keep the motivation going.

Show us your Strava
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    Just hit the 6500 miles I was targeting after 3 months off towards the beginning of the year through injury. Hoping to get another couple of hundred in before the end of the year including some new roads in Brunei.

I would post my veloviewer infographic but I would have to work out how to do pictures :)
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    mrfpb wrote:
    1. Choose a local 40 or 50 mile loop more often than my over-familiar 30 mile loop.
    2. Lose 7.5 kg (and keep it off)
    3. Do another 100 mile ride (or more)
    4. Resisit the urge to buy more bike related stuff.

1. & 3. Only done two 40+ mile rides this year. Nothing like 50 or 100. Still twelve days to go though!
    In fact I've done more running than riding this year (time not distance) but I have found different riding routes that I can extend in future.
    My Strava calendar says I've done 177 hrs activity compared to 103 in 2016. That's definitely a good thing.

2. Lost 6.3 kg/1 stone via the 16:8 diet, (and more activity) still going down with annoying plateaus where nothing shifts.
    This goal was sabotaged by 3 months on beta blockers which undid all the weight loss in the early part of the year and created a low mood/demotivation to the point where I spent August on the sofa - Strava only shows one activity for the month (a 10km run).
    I made a "New Year's resolution" when the kids went back to school that I would record something every day, even if it's a ten minute ride or a 30 min walk. This has worked in getting 25+ activities a month since then.

4. Pretty successful. Bought some dhb clobber in the sales with Christmas and Bitlrthday money, but only consumables since then.

As I turn 50 in a fortnight I'm thinking about a challenge for the year ahead. A marathon? (I upped to half marathon runs this year) or a 200+ km very hilly ride (I've done RSL100). I've not done a sponsored event for three years so my friends and family are due for a fleecing in a good cause.
  • mrfpb wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:
    1. Choose a local 40 or 50 mile loop more often than my over-familiar 30 mile loop.
    2. Lose 7.5 kg (and keep it off)
    3. Do another 100 mile ride (or more)
    4. Resisit the urge to buy more bike related stuff.

1. & 3. Only done two 40+ mile rides this year. Nothing like 50 or 100. Still twelve days to go though!
    In fact I've done more running than riding this year (time not distance) but I have found different riding routes that I can extend in future.
    My Strava calendar says I've done 177 hrs activity compared to 103 in 2016. That's definitely a good thing.

2. Lost 6.3 kg/1 stone via the 16:8 diet, (and more activity) still going down with annoying plateaus where nothing shifts.
    This goal was sabotaged by 3 months on beta blockers which undid all the weight loss in the early part of the year and created a low mood/demotivation to the point where I spent August on the sofa - Strava only shows one activity for the month (a 10km run).
    I made a "New Year's resolution" when the kids went back to school that I would record something every day, even if it's a ten minute ride or a 30 min walk. This has worked in getting 25+ activities a month since then.

4. Pretty successful. Bought some dhb clobber in the sales with Christmas and Bitlrthday money, but only consumables since then.

As I turn 50 in a fortnight I'm thinking about a challenge for the year ahead. A marathon? (I upped to half marathon runs this year) or a 200+ km very hilly ride (I've done RSL100). I've not done a sponsored event for three years so my friends and family are due for a fleecing in a good cause.

They all sound like sensible goals, well done for so far, and keep going.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Last year I managed 8200 miles so wanted to hit 8500 which I did this week so 8600 should be possible and be close to 8700. I'm toying with the idea of trying to ride everyday of 2018 apart from the 6 days I'm in Barcelona though there is a bike hire place across the road from the hotel so a ride everyday isn't impossible.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    dhope wrote:
    Ugh. 2018. I've signed up to Ironman Hamburg*.
    So I guess I need to swim more than 4 times next year.

*igmc

<applauds>

<walks off, shaking head and chucking to self>

PS happy to help/answer questions/endure long weekend rides if needed. Have a bike box and maybe some other stuff available for loan if needed. But the “price” will be a detailed race report, posted here, reliving the whole thing in morbid detail...

Well this has come around around fast. Sunday. Eek
    So far this year Strava has me at 82 miles swum, 3162 miles cycled and 504 miles run.

Just another 2.4, 112 and 26.2 to go then :shock:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo