2017 targets

Comments

• wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    1. Complete 3K miles, up from 2k for this year.
    2. Convince Hampshire Police to take up the Close Pass stance that WMP Traffic have.
    3. Sample more Belgium beers.
    4. Buy a cargo bike & take kids to the coast (15 miles) in it.
    5. Get to top 5 for the 5 segments i cross daily

I guess 2 is probably the hardest of all.

Apparantly I put in twice, fool.

1. Broke 1300 miles yesterday, so 3k's going to be close , but at least on path for > 2k miles.
    2. Hampshire are doing Close Pass initiative, but not that often :/
    3. More Belgium beers have been sampled. Yet more to sample.
    4. Half way to funding it.
    5. Way, Way off. Me'h
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Mine are really simple.......

1- Recover from my knee injury, so I'm able to get back on the bike
    2- Once done, commute to work by bike at least 3 days out of 5
    3- Sub 19 min RP lap

All obviously dependent on number 1.......

Number 1 - achieved, knee is fine now

Number 2 - been commuting by bike for the past 3 weeks.

Number 3 - will give it a blast in a month or two when I've got more miles in my legs, am still recovering all the lost fitness from when I was crocked

Have commuted by bike virtually every day since mid March, so those 150 base miles a week have ticked off both #1 & 2

For #3, I dipped under 19 mins with an 18m 53sec time this morning. Seeing as we are only mid-way through the year, maybe I need to reset my goals
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,029
    Stay under 80Kg or even better, lose a bit more excess flab and get down to ~75Kg
    Use my bike more than for mainly commuting and the odd pop out to the shops
    Start doing some recreational cycling again, especially if I choose to use the bus for commuting over the next ~2 winter months
    Try and safely get my PB commute time to work on Strava under 15 minutes from a current PB of ~16mins30secs
    Try and and get more Strava commute times home under 20mins, besides that single freak day so far!
    Despite their cost and my low disposable income, get round to buying a pair of G-One Speeds (possibly the balloon 29x~2.3" variety) and depending upon their rolling resistance plus general performance, a pair of the new Vee Apache Fatty Slicks
    Get round to finally trying tubeless on either my FatNotFat 29ers and/or my fat wheels
    Given all the "spares" I've accumulated this year through upgrades, possibly try and sneak a bargain fatbike frame to the garage and try and build up my first ever bike? :twisted:

Currently ~75Kg, maybe 70Kg might be possible, now I eat on rides rather than starve until I raid the cupboards and fridge on return.
    Wazoo has done plenty of miles besides direct commutes (~1500 so far this year), but since buying the Cube in May, not as frequently.
    Cube has done ~600 miles since early May, now regularly doing at least two 40+ mile rides per week (often in the South Downs up cat4 hills).
    Work commute time down to 15min4secs PB, so close!
    Had a few commutes home under 20mins, but I more often than not extend my route home by ~2-35 miles.
    Won a pair of bargain 2.35" G-One Speed TLEs a while back, they fly for big tyres on the road/off-road.
    Yet to try tubeless, mainly expense issue, after unexpected purchase of Cube!
    Fatbike frame not likely, again money!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • I can't be absolutely certain, because I had to adjust my home to work segment start point after I was told my previous privacy zone was non-existent (using number/road instead of postcode), but I think I cracked the 15min barrier target this morning on the Wazoo. 8)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309

WIth my friend we are looking at 7:30 on the EDD, so feel free to tag along

Didn't manage to achieve this frankly dull target and to be fair I did not have much drive to achieve it...

On the other hand, I got stung by the Audax bug and I did my first long ride in 2017... 400 km, which was probably the most memorable bike ride I've ever done... so bring on 2018 with renewed, more exciting targets...

At the moment the 600 km Bryan Chapman Memorial tops my wishlist
    left the forum March 2023
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    WarrenG wrote:
    WarrenG wrote:
    1. 2016 was a write-off due to a few pulmonary embolii and DVTs in Nov 2015 - still managed ~6,000km but this was pretty much all commuting and very slow. When I say "write-off" - Jan, Feb and Mar were recuperation - the rest was laziness - so I'm aiming for 8,000km with a higher percentage of weekend rides
    2. I should be about 78kg but ended the year at 85kg
    3. Due to Point 1 I celebrated the year with high-quality Belgian beers - this HAS GOT TO STOP
    4. Ventoux and Alpe D'Huez are on the list this year
    5. Beat 7.30 on Box Hill
    6. More MTB'ing - won't help with miles but encourages the kids out
    7. Not have any more embolii

1. On target for this quite easily
    2. Nah - I reckon 80kg is about my natural boozy limit
    3. Moved onto gin
    4. Ventoux done and Alpe d'Huez booked
    5. Done
    6. Desperate to get out to do more of this
    7. Fingers crossed

1. On target for this still
    2. At 80kg - reckon I can lose 3-4 more
    3. Knocked the gin on the head and moved onto Weston's Vintage. Jesus H Christ
    4. Ventoux, Alpe d'Huez, Glandon, Croix de Fer, Col d'Ornon and Col de Sarenne done. Also, Col de Parquetout done - which was the worst/best one
    5. Done loads
    6. I lubed the chain
    7. Consultant told me to f4ck off and not bother her again. Still on Xarelto forever though
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    Mine are at this point:
    1 Ride more after doing other stuff in the last 6 months.
    2 Give track riding a crack.
    3 Finish the tough mudder ive got booked in April.
    4 Get some upper body strength for the above.
    5 Actually learn to do my own bike mechanics.

1 Sort of. Had to revise my years target down to 2500 miles.
    2 Done. Olympic velodrome is awesome. Didnt die on a fixie. Would recommend.
    3 Done. But popped my shoulder on the day so missed a few obstacles.
    4 Pfft yeah right.
    5 Absolutley not happening.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,473
    Tashman wrote:
    Tashman wrote:
    1) Ride more
    2) Complete the London 2 Brighton
    3) Start to commute sometimes (16 miles each way)
    4) Get below 100kg (107Kg) now

1) Definitely achieving this. 545km so far this year against 260km in total last year. i know that's peanuts to a lot of you but I'm building all the time
    2) All done yesterday. Very hot and sweaty, but I enjoyed it. Next aim is to complete the beacon!
    3) Lack of facilities is still hampering this although the distance now won't bother me
    4) Down to 104.5kg so heading slowly in the right direction. i should really try harder not to eat so much crap!

1)seem to have stalled with everything getting in the way of ride time right now
    2)Got further up the Beacon on my last attempt. Want to crack that by the end of the year.
    3)First one tomorrow. We'll see how it goes
    4)Ummmmm
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,473
    Tashman wrote:
    Tashman wrote:
    Tashman wrote:
    1) Ride more
    2) Complete the London 2 Brighton
    3) Start to commute sometimes (16 miles each way)
    4) Get below 100kg (107Kg) now

1) Definitely achieving this. 545km so far this year against 260km in total last year. i know that's peanuts to a lot of you but I'm building all the time
    2) All done yesterday. Very hot and sweaty, but I enjoyed it. Next aim is to complete the beacon!
    3) Lack of facilities is still hampering this although the distance now won't bother me
    4) Down to 104.5kg so heading slowly in the right direction. i should really try harder not to eat so much crap!

1)seem to have stalled with everything getting in the way of ride time right now
    2)Got further up the Beacon on my last attempt. Want to crack that by the end of the year.
    3)First one tomorrow. We'll see how it goes
    4)Ummmmm

3) First one was actually today :) another one checked off. Will hopefully help number 4 too
  • Not in priority order....

1) Be fit enough to enjoy a week riding hills in Italy in September.
    2) 17:30 lap of Richmond Park
    3) Sub 3:10 marathon (not cycling, but keeping cycle commuting through winter is cross training for this).
    4) Top 10 on one of the Strava segments on my commute across the middle of RP
    5) Cycle more miles than this year.

1 done.
    2 not yet.
    3 failed.
    4 unlikely.
    5 on track.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    mrfpb wrote:
    1. Choose a local 40 or 50 mile loop more often than my over-familiar 30 mile loop.
    2. Lose 7.5 kg (and keep it off)
    3. Do another 100 mile ride (or more)
    4. Resisit the urge to buy more bike related stuff.

Failing on 1 - 3. Not done as much cycling this year as last, and only 2 rides over 30 miles (but did make a nice 40 mile loop that I will repeat. Weight has yo-yoed and I'm only 2lbs less thatn at the start of the year.

Managed to not spend much on bike stuff, got some dhb in the cleance sale (about £40 worth) and since then only inner tubes or other consumables.
  • Train all the way through winter, build more consistency and volume - Kind of done, moreso through the rest of this year. Currently about 500/35 hours ahead of 2015/16 so far this year and on target for not far of 10k miles.

Justify my retained 2nd Cat licence with a 2/3 RR Win - Missed this one this year.

Short 20 min 10TT - Done, managed an 18.55 in the end and on to the all time fastest list, very chuffed with this

Podium again at RPTT - Done, 3rd at RPTT1 and 2nd at RPTT2

Pointless one - Sub 15min RP lap, maybe more on the TT bike. - Done, 14.26 in the end, plenty more there though to get close to the current KOM I think

Once more will be looking to lose 10kg - Not quite, managed to lose about 8kg in the end, half of which came back while on a recent holiday! Hopefully lose a bit more through winter and come into next year well.
    Blog on first season road racing http://www.twhatley.com/
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    2017 is DEAD long live 2018
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Ugh. 2018. I've signed up to Ironman Hamburg*.
    So I guess I need to swim more than 4 times next year.

*igmc
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    Technically, you only need to swim once, but that may not be particularly wise...
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    DrHaggis wrote:
    Technically, you only need to swim once, but that may not be particularly wise...
    Technically twice
    Hamburg is split between two lakes
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope wrote:
    Ugh. 2018. I've signed up to Ironman Hamburg*.
    So I guess I need to swim more than 4 times next year.

*igmc

<applauds>

<walks off, shaking head and chucking to self>

PS happy to help/answer questions/endure long weekend rides if needed. Have a bike box and maybe some other stuff available for loan if needed. But the “price” will be a detailed race report, posted here, reliving the whole thing in morbid detail...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    2018 = Amstel gold, several weeks in Mallorca and yup the Marmotte again, plus a shite load of salad and water
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    Even with 3 months to go, I hit all my unmabitious targets for this year. For 2018, my second full year as a mamil, my targets would be:
    • Keep commuting by bike through the winter...
    • ...without being hit by rouge taxis or have an accident...
    • and break the 70 kg barrier (currently at 73.2).
    • Ride an imperial century (longest ride so far is a mere 70 miles)
    • Climb at least a Cat 2 col, or a Cat 1 for extra props.
    • Beat my total time in the Lepra ride.
    dhope wrote:
    DrHaggis wrote:
    Technically twice
    Hamburg is split between two lakes

Oops...
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    May just about scrape over 6,000 miles for the year. Lowest annual mileage since records began (for me - 2008 or so), I think.

In entirely unrelated news, I'm also a bit heavier than last year.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    May just about scrape over 6,000 miles for the year. Lowest annual mileage since records began (for me - 2008 or so), I think.

same :oops:
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I've failed with most of my targets.

However, I'm back below 70kg (and falling) and I'm beating my 2014 segment times (when I was 65kg) so I'm counting 2017 as a success so far.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Asprilla wrote:

However, I'm back below 70kg (and falling) and I'm beating my 2014 segment times (when I was 65kg) so I'm counting 2017 as a success so far.

How can a grown man be 65kg? I was 74kg when I was 17!!!

Do you even eat???***

*** It may be a case of me eating more than strictly necessary...
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

How can a grown man be 65kg? I was 74kg when I was 17!!!

Do you even eat???***

*** It may be a case of me eating more than strictly necessary...

I'm looking forward to the day when me+bike=<70kg
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    There is a very sizeable number of <70kg people who race on Zwift .. it spits in the eyes of the obesity epidemic ... or the better your w/kg number is , the quicker you go....
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Asprilla wrote:
    I'm looking forward to the day when me+bike=<70kg

I'm looking forward to the day when me - bike = 70kg (not counting the Ridgeback, which probably takes me under already!)
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I've just looked at BMI as a crude measure, and at 1.85m, I can be 68.5kg and be low end of normal. Chris Froome is about that sort of size I think. Just the 16.5 kg to lose and the umpteen watts to gain then...
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    hopkinb wrote:
    I've just looked at BMI as a crude measure, and at 1.85m, I can be 68.5kg and be low end of normal. Chris Froome is about that sort of size I think. Just the 16.5 kg to lose and the umpteen watts to gain then...

You've definitely got the cadence to pull it off.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    hopkinb wrote:

You've definitely got the cadence to pull it off.
    :lol:
    There the similarity ends.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    cjcp wrote:

Just keep telling ‘em it is all muscle

Or that you’re just big boned

:D