If I were president of the world...

2»

Comments

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    If medical doctor's get protected title status and respect then so should professional engineers

Absolutely. The man in the British Gas van is not a "Heating Engineer". He didn't design the system, specify the safety parameters, pressures, etc.

He fixes boilers and so forth. He is a repair man.

Please note: I am not an Engineer, far from it. But I know a number and the denigration and belittling of their profession is a national disgrace, and puts people off training as engineers.

PS: same thing applies to "Accountant". Only if you have an accountancy qualification.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Didnt the name engineer originate from the dude on the train that fixed the engine ??? ... the giant boiler on wheels

If anything that gas man is more worthy of the name than a pencil pushing process monkey that's done a hnd using a CNC machine

Oh ... I did a nd, hnd and degree in engineering so feel I am qualified to take the p155
  • secretsam
    Programmes on TV about rich people who have done nothing to earn their wealth (Kardashians, etc) will be banned.

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    SecretSam wrote:
    Programmes on TV about rich people who have done nothing to earn their wealth (Kardashians, etc) will be banned.

No more MOTD then
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    SecretSam wrote:

No more MOTD then

if being good at something thousands of people want to spend their money on watch you'd better ban live music too in that case
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • If I were President of the world I would ride an Orange Stage 5 as well as a Whyte 29C hardtail, so there!
  • secretsam
    RallyBiker wrote:
    If I were President of the world I would ride an Orange Stage 5 as well as a Whyte 29C hardtail, so there!

You'd have 4 legs and 2 butts??? :mrgreen:

• fat daddy wrote:
    Didnt the name engineer originate from the dude on the train that fixed the engine ??? ... the giant boiler on wheels

If anything that gas man is more worthy of the name than a pencil pushing process monkey that's done a hnd using a CNC machine

Oh ... I did a nd, hnd and degree in engineering so feel I am qualified to take the p155

No the word is waaaay older than that. For starters, the things they attacked castles with in the Middle Ages are siege engines and some say it comes from the Latin.

Either case, I'm voting for Secret Sam for president.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,697
    Etymonline says:

engineer (n.)
    mid-14c., enginour, "constructor of military engines," from Old French engigneor "engineer, architect, maker of war-engines; schemer" (12c.), from Late Latin ingeniare (see engine); general sense of "inventor, designer" is recorded from early 15c.; civil sense, in reference to public works, is recorded from c. 1600 but not the common meaning of the word until 19c (hence lingering distinction as civil engineer). Meaning "locomotive driver" is first attested 1832, American English. A "maker of engines" in ancient Greece was a mekhanopoios.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    The boys on the Nardern Eyrelan ferries call themselves jokingly "Ceramic engineers" when they are on bog duties.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!