Climbing and lower back pain

CptKernow
CptKernow Posts: 467
I get various types of back ache from various activities but there is one that is particularly niggling.

Whilst most of my other various pains come from remaining in the same position this one is different - and bad enough that I have to cut rides short.

Basically if I do too much out of the saddle climbing I start to get a pain right at the bottom of my back where it joins the pelvis - on one side. After this the only thing that will stop it is getting off the bike and writhing around for a few minutes.

I'm sort of guessing it sacro-iliac related.

Given that it appears to be caused by out of the saddle efforts that would suggest it isn't bike-fit related (which generally feels OK).

Any suggestions on what the issue might be and how to fix it.

Thanks

Comments

• Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Weak core.

Do more core strengthening.
  • Secteur wrote:
    Weak core.

Do deadlifts and squats count as core?!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    CptKernow wrote:
    Any suggestions on what the issue might be and how to fix it.

Thanks

Can't suggest a remedy without knowing the cause - I think you would need a proper diagnosis first from either a physio or a GP. A 'weak core' is not likely to be the cause, IMO. In that sense, core exercises, which were suggested earlier, are unlikely to be helpful and could potentially make things worse.
  • Admittedly lifting heavy(ish) weights might contribute to the issue - not sure on the relative time frames for cause and effect there.

But will see a physio to see if they can find an obvious cause.
    The fact that it is on one side and dissipates pretty soon after I get off the bike makes me think it is muscular rather than something more serious. Then again it is a pretty complicated area down there so tracking down an imbalance / tightness / whatever might not be too straightforward...
  • As suggested a physio should sort you out. I had something that sounds vaguely similar to you, which was sacroiliac related and caused by a muscular imbalance due to waiting too long to get a hernia repair. Sorted out with some basic strengthening exercises given to me by the physio so hopefully yours will be something as straightforward.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I'm not convinced its core strength either.

Can you touch your toes straight legged? can you get your fingers past your knees on a side stretch? Are you able to grab the backs of your knees with your forearms? When you are out of the saddle are you more upright? Is it worse on one side compared with the other?

Sounds to me like a niggling of the L5 or S1 if you go to a physio or osteo make sure they are qualified and members of the appropriate professional body - Lots of fakers out there likely to damage you if you are injured. If they don't do a reflex test and check for nerve injury - don't go back
  • This is an old Hobby horse with me.
    Core strength , where did this come from , where is the evidence that it improves anything ?
    I come from a running background , in the 80s it was stretching stretching and more stretching .
    My routine was half hour prior half hour , after a run , This is a lot of stretching , now the advise is that it does not prevent injury and in some cases may cause it.
    Please some one show me the evidence for core strength (not just anecdotal) and convince me that it is not just another fad.
    regards
    ILG
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    The simplest answer is to stay in the saddle ( and maybe use smaller gears). One of the greatest changes to the way that elite cyclists ride over the years is the realisation (through power etc being measured) that climbing in the saddle is more effective than standing, and less wasteful of energy.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    My money is on muscular imbalance as well.

All it takes is to have weak Hamstrings compared to quads and a posture with does let them stretch out fully .... or inflexible hip flexors and its going to put a strain on that area of your back.

"IF" that's what it is it will take a few months of yoga and strength training to put your body back in balance .... but personally I wouldn't listen to the internet, go see a physio !

Seemigly though, most aches and pains device from bad posture from peple havng a livestyle that sees them sat in a car, sat at a desk, sat infront of the sofa all day long .... compound that with a sport that sees you sat in a single position for hours and its no wonder your body doesn't like some positions.

There is something o be said about going for a swim befopre you start your cycle and a quick run afterwards ...... urgh, did I just say that ?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    "sat in a car, sat at a desk, sat infront of the sofa all day long"

I think that's where you're going wrong. Sofas are for sitting on...
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    :D .... errrr typo ? .... my iphone changed what I originally wrote ... honest
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    giropaul wrote:
    The simplest answer is to stay in the saddle ( and maybe use smaller gears). One of the greatest changes to the way that elite cyclists ride over the years is the realisation (through power etc being measured) that climbing in the saddle is more effective than standing, and less wasteful of energy.

:lol::lol::lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqP1Nzmniao
  • giropaul wrote:

Trial and error tells me the fastest way to get up most of my local hills is a mix of in and out of the saddle.

You'll be suggesting getting a compact chainset next.... :twisted:
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Or a recumbent.
  • This happened to me very regularly until I started using a foam roller. For me, the issue is tension in lower back and glutes. I lie on my back and massage low back and backside using my weight onto the roller. Initially I did this quite intensively but now i roll my backside before and after each ride and only occasionally have a problem (very strenuous rides).

If the missiles are tight it hurts quite a lot but then eases up and relaxes them.

The advice to do this came from a physiotherapist I met at a beer festival after years of paying for physiotherapists and chiropractors.

When travelling you can use a spikey ball instead. More compact, Google it. Both are cheap so worth a go IMHO. It worked for me but that's no guarantee.

MG
    M_G
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    CptKernow wrote:
    Secteur wrote:
    Weak core.

Do deadlifts and squats count as core?!

I'm sure they do count. Problem is squatting and dead-lifting are NOT something that a person with an iffy back should be doing. And believe me after 2 back surgeries I pay close attention to what's good and bad for my back. Walking, cycling, and a bit of upper body weights is what works for me. As far as lifting goes, no bench presses, no standing barbell curls, no leg curls, no leg extensions, nothing lifted over the head. Ya gotta be careful with the back or it WILL get worse. Then you'll end up like me. Pain will start shooting down your legs and 2 back op's and one plate with screws later you'll be wondering" What'd I do?". Careful with that back.