A Number of Warning

SirT35
SirT35 Posts: 8
edited December 2016 in Road buying advice
Cycling since 7 have ridden many miles and have about 7 bikes some just frames.Bought only one new, a cheap aluminium
but with the modern gearing.However took six months before modified to my liking.
Previously only had Steel Frames,and would never buy an alu frame or deep rims again (needing 90 plus psi to avoid pinch punctures makes riding corrugated roofing more comfortable) .A suspension seat stem an improvement, but had so many pinch punctures and difficulty removing old tube etc on the road and with the need to reach such high Psi i now carry a Stirrup Pump !!!!!!!!
So my warning of 40 plus years cycling only buy steel frames with lugs for a carrier and mudguards, with shallow clinchers as they need less than 80 psi.Tyres i got from Wigan 27 1 and a quarter (31mm)on shallow clinchers v good
For Road Craft cars hurt, let them pass,keep to quieter routes.Always stay behind left indicator in traffic so can see drivers head movements and wheel turning and expect the worst,not knocked off so far though many have tried.NEVER undertake a lorry or bus unless it is blocked in.

Comments

• SirT35 wrote:
    blah... blah... blah...

NEVER undertake a lorry or bus

^ Basically the only part of your post that makes any sense.
  • SirT35 wrote:
    Cycling since 7 have ridden many miles and have about 7 bikes some just frames.Bought only one new, a cheap aluminium
    but with the modern gearing.However took six months before modified to my liking.
    Previously only had Steel Frames,and would never buy an alu frame or deep rims again (needing 90 plus psi to avoid pinch punctures makes riding corrugated roofing more comfortable) .A suspension seat stem an improvement, but had so many pinch punctures and difficulty removing old tube etc on the road and with the need to reach such high Psi i now carry a Stirrup Pump !!!!!!!!
    So my warning of 40 plus years cycling only buy steel frames with lugs for a carrier and mudguards, with shallow clinchers as they need less than 80 psi.Tyres i got from Wigan 27 1 and a quarter (31mm)on shallow clinchers v good
    For Road Craft cars hurt, let them pass,keep to quieter routes.Always stay behind left indicator in traffic so can see drivers head movements and wheel turning and expect the worst,not knocked off so far though many have tried.NEVER undertake a lorry or bus unless it is blocked in.
    I've been cycling for less than a month, yet even I can see that the vast majority of that is bollocks.
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    Has Sir been drinking?
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Asking for trouble getting tyres from Wigan.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Proof, if any was needed, that you should never post on the Internet after coming home pi55ed from your Christmas party...
  • the tyres on my carbon road bike have a 100 psi minimum requirement YET are still OK to ride even on the less smooth roads round here, the mini pump i have is more than man enough for that pressure too ( my arm dont like it much but the pump is fine with it - no need for a massive pump to be lugged round with you )

sounds like OP is of a hefty build that should be advising folks to stay away from the pies if he has nothing but pinch punctures unless he puts so much pressure in that the ride is solid etc

basically i echo the above, only bit that is useful from the post is to stay away from the sides of larger vehicles ( especially if there is a junction nearby )
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Imposter wrote:
    Proof, if any was needed, that you should never post on the Internet after coming home pi55ed from your Christmas party...

Yep :D
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Wtf is a suspension seat stem anyway?

Sir talks gibberish
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    It probably seemed funny as fck at that time on the morning.....
  • Yeah, but 3 posts in 4 and a half years, he can be given a bit of leeway.. :lol:
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • He does like a nice long stirrup pump
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • That was a good value post by the OP, now you've scared him off we won't see another from him for another 4 years at least.
  • Curious.Here was i giving what i thought was sage advice.
    I reckon i have done 40k plus of cycling in my time,apart from crashes in my youthful arrogance only Black Ice have been my recent Nemesis’s.
    But i like i have had replies from hard core posters !9k posts cougie 3912 Posts JGSI etc
    Still with the world of cycling choice ,non transferability of parts but there high cost,choosing a well fitted steel frame will
    last a life time,while shallow clinchers will provide comfort and speed.Lugs for carriers and mudguards widen the
    environs.
    MiddleRinger from your post a roller alloy carbon guy,should try steel you would be converted,and i could see the scales falling "One off steelie build with full 105m",nice ! Except no lugs,deep rims and straight forks
    You "That is absolutely stonkingly dead set bloody gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow......." That s more like it
    Cougie 19k plus posts wow.
    "I'm happy with my rim brakes. They just work. No need to get used to new technology.
    I think I've only just ever worn out one rim anyway." True
    "35 years cycling. Never lost anything from a back pocket. Gravity is a wonderful thing." Need a rack and panniers
    "Mudguards are your first line of defence." True
    Ok it's not about the bike if you have a decent bike... True
    The cross bike is also my winter bike with full guards and fat ass tyres on. My carbon can't do that.
    There's really no difference in speed bike v bike on similar tyres for me. Nothing that's measurable anyway
    and
    I used to have custom steel frames made back in the day. Always nice but it's nothing magical
    So you have/had everything.Still steel is best performance price durability.

To conclude "Retro Bike Or Modern Bike? How Have Bikes Changed?" paste and search Youtube
  • Just seen this The Truth About Wide Tyres And Wide Rims On Road Bikes Youtube again,See comfort equals speed
    and on a low psi only 50 on video.You may all be big posters but my post pretty well nails it.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    SirT35 wrote:
    Just seen this The Truth About Wide Tyres And Wide Rims On Road Bikes Youtube again,See comfort equals speed
    and on a low psi only 50 on video.You may all be big posters but my post pretty well nails it.

Nope, sorry, but you're still coming across as a rambling idiot.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Still drunk - must have been a heavy session
  • SirT35 wrote:
    MiddleRinger from your post a roller alloy carbon guy,should try steel you would be converted,and i could see the scales falling "One off steelie build with full 105m",nice ! Except no lugs,deep rims and straight forks
    You "That is absolutely stonkingly dead set bloody gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow......." That s more like it

What...? :?: :| :?: I'm going to assume English is not your first language?
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Step away from the crack pipe....
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    This is better than the guy wanting to know how to fit a cassette to his spare front wheel, so he can use it on the turbo.
  • This forum ain't what it used to be.......:(
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    SirT35 wrote:

What...? :?: :| :?: I'm going to assume English is not your first language?
    Maybe not even the second or third!
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • SirT35 wrote:
    Cycling since 7 ...
    SirT35 wrote:
    ... 40 plus years cycling ...
    SirT35 wrote:
    I reckon i have done 40k plus of cycling in my time

You don't actually cycle that much do you? 40k in 40+ years - that's 1000/year (aasuming those are miles not kilometres, that's ~90 minutes per week if you're not caning it). I've only counted back the last 2½ years and I've already clocked up 20000 miles...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    SirT35 wrote:

What...? :?: :| :?: I'm going to assume Human is not your first language?

FTFY
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    We're all waiting with bated breath for tonight's installment...
  • Thank you for your comments
    Regards English, i edited a Middle Finger post from 2014.
    viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12953927&p=18865455#p18865455
    A very nice Steelie if as i said no lugs,cack deep rims and straight forks so you can get that deep jarring feel of every pothole unlike the curved steel of old.
    I am not hardcore but do more than most 50 to 60 miles per week.
    Look to those Youtube subjects as in previous post,Steel ticks more boxes than the alternatives.
    I have a very nice smooth riding 25 inch second-hand M Steel frame,except a pre owner has jammed the BB adjuster cup,so redundant at present any tips as to removal apart from a blowtorch.Local bike shops have tried and failed ,as did my try with a Coal Hammer and Chisel.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    50 miles a week.

Wow. Who can compete with that level of dedication and experience.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    If I only rode 50miles a week I probably would ride a sit up and beg steel bike as well ... just not worth spending the money on anything nice.

it would be good though, you wouldn't need to buy cycling clothes or 30 litres of lube a year .. might even get a hub geared bike so no maintanence
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    I like it a retro grouch chatbot
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    30 litres lube ?!
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Moonbiker wrote:
    30 litres lube ?!

well obviously I don't use ALL of it on the bike