Budget £3k, help me choose an Endurance Bike

Wallace65
Wallace65 Posts: 4
edited December 2016 in Road buying advice
I have been searching for the best bike in this range and needless to say it's very confusing to choose given the selection available. I am a beginner and do around 15 - 20 miles thrice a week. I am leaning towards Cannondale Synapse ultegra 2017 but then Specialized, Giant and Trek all have comparable selection. I am totally confused.

Any advice? Thank you!

Comments

• bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Wallace65 wrote:
    I have been searching for the best bike in this range and needless to say it's very confusing to choose given the selection available. I am a beginner and do around 15 - 20 miles thrice a week. I am leaning towards Cannondale Synapse ultegra 2017 but then Specialized, Giant and Trek all have comparable selection. I am totally confused.

Any advice? Thank you!
    What on earth would prompt you to want to spend that sort of money on a bike when you don't know what you want and by all accounts don't need based on your riding profile.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If you ride year round then get two bikes.

One for the winter months with full mudguards and at least 25mm tyres. Add reflectives and mount lights.

Something around £5-600 would be ample for that. Buy that now.

Then when you get to the spring start looking for your best bike. You may have a better idea for what you want.

What gearing do you use now - SRAM/Shimano/Campag ?

Do you climb or stick to the flat.

Are you sticking to 20 mile rides or planning on going further ? Even a beginner should be able to go further than 20 miles - you can progress quite quickly with cycling,

3 grand for a bike is a lot and despite what the marketeers say - I doubt you'd be able to notice any improvement on a bike costing a grand or so.
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    Good advice above, you dont need to spend anywhere near that amount to get a great bike. Just get a bike that fits and has decent tyre clearance for more comfort and versatility, possibly a Giant Defy disc or similar? The bike shop should be able to provide points and guidance but once you tell them you have £3k you may be persuaded to spend £3.5-4k as you may aswell get the next model up as its got this and that and it will be so much easier to ride up hills..... !
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • My current bike is a touring bike (Kona Sutra) steel frame with Shimano gearing and 700 x 40 tyres. It's a solid bike but heavy. I got it as a birthday gift from my wife who wants me to lose weight :-)

Obviously I don't know much about cycling but since I started using it I am really enjoying it. I ride a mix of flat and climb but I weigh 220 lbs and 6.3" tall. I thought getting a light weight bike might be more comfortable especially on climbs. I enjoy riding immensely but with work I am restricted to some weekday rides and of course on weekends I try to ride as much as possible.

I don't have to spend this much but I had budgeted up to £3k.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I don't want this to come across as the wrong way but at your weight, a few kilos here and there won't make much of a difference for comfort.

I'd save the £3k and put some of it towards getting a decent spread of nice kit that will allow you to be comfortable ("Goldilocks" kit is what everyone goes on about nowadays) for all types of weather.

Maybe put some towards a nice groupset.

Maybe once you've got a few more miles under your belt think about a 'bike fit'.

That'd add more comfort wise than a new bike.
  • kirkee
    edited December 2016
    Wallace65 wrote:
    My current bike is a touring bike (Kona Sutra) steel frame with Shimano gearing and 700 x 40 tyres. It's a solid bike but heavy. I got it as a birthday gift from my wife who wants me to lose weight :-)

Obviously I don't know much about cycling but since I started using it I am really enjoying it. I ride a mix of flat and climb but I weigh 220 lbs and 6.3" tall. I thought getting a light weight bike might be more comfortable especially on climbs. I enjoy riding immensely but with work I am restricted to some weekday rides and of course on weekends I try to ride as much as possible.

I don't have to spend this much but I had budgeted up to £3k.

That said why not get a nice bike. With £3k the advise Id offer with your info on posts taken would be-
    get a disc brake thru axle design bike preferably with hydro brakes, with plenty of gear range, avoid 1x groupsets. Heres two examples of what you could get. Both have what Id look for in a disc bike. Ones a full on road design the other a do it all type bike more akin to your existing albeit in a modern design etc.

https://www.evanscycles.com/bmc-roadmac ... e-EV277888 just over budget
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBOOBBBRIV ... nture-bike way under budget
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • fenix
    At touching 100Kg - as Rick says - a few kg off the bike (at a cost of thousands) isn't going to matter much.

Dropping 3 grand on a bike now is a foolish thing to do.

To make climbing easier you need to eat less. Simple as that. You'll notice that far more.

Narrower tyres might make a difference but I'd stick with what you have for the present - going too narrow now might cause you problems.

No need to spend big bucks on kit either - hopefully you will shed the pounds.

Check out the kit from Aldi/ Planet X / DHB to let you keep riding all year.
  • Just because the OP currently weighs 100kg it doesn't mean he's always going to weigh 100kg - especially if he's buying a bike to help him lose weight. And there's far more to a £3k bike than just the weight, too. If he spends that much, it's unlikely he'll ever need to change the bike in the foreseeable future. Personally I think it's really short-sighted to buy a bike just for now if you believe you're going to use it.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • fenix
    Is a 3k bike likely to last longer than a 1k bike ?

It'll be just as out of date in the same time.
  • Fenix wrote:

Possibly - better quality components. But the point is that you won't feel the need for an upgrade. I bought my Volagi about 6 years ago now - I have absolutely no intent to replace it. Before that I had a Focus Variado and then a Focus Cayo. I only bought the Foil because dragging a bike backwards and forwards between homes is expensive and a pain. I'll almost certainly sell the Foil or give it to my son when I finally live in one place.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • If you want to spend that kind of money, find a good and honest shop. Most big brands offer bikes which would be ideal for you, things like Trek Domane disc, Specialized Roubaix disc, it's a matter of what you got on with the most. I would got for an hydraulic disc braked bike at your weight
    left the forum March 2023
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    I reckon one of those Cubes from Rutland would be just the job for you. Carbon frame, hydraulic discs, decent groupset. Trouser the other 2k for the time being.
    http://www.rutlandcycling.com/320630/pr ... -grey.aspx
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    Without wanting to sound condescending or dismissive, why on earth would you even think of spending that sort of money when you're new to cycling and doing very small mileages. A bike of 1k or less would be perfectly adequate till you get some fitness and decide whether cycling is really for you...
    There are so many high end bikes for sale on ebay with ads that read "barely used" ; "under 200 miles" ; "practically brand new"etc etc etc.... All of these people have essentially just flushed at least a thousand pounds down the toilet.
    A 3K bike won't suddenly make cycling a joy for you; putting in the miles and getting fitter is what will do that. Then, maybe think about a "better" bike. Getting dropped on your shiny new Pinarello or Cervelo by a fit chap (or worse still "chapess") on a £200 Halfords special is something to be avoided at all costs. (so I'm told :wink: )
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I don't know why people get hung up on the budgets, some people can spend £3k on something and it's nothing really to them. If the guy is stretching financially to spend £3k then sure, there's no need at all. But, it might be that he isn't stretching at all. £3k is not a lot really to some people with well paid jobs.
  • kirkee
    The OP wants a nice new bike and he has got the money, simple. Hes asked for advice from more experienced riders on what bike to buy, not how and where to spend his money. I gave him my recommend on spending £3k even though my own rides worth about £650?- well if that now! Good luck to Wallace65. Im sure that he will immediately sense where the money went when he rides up his usual hill for the first time on the new bike and be happier for it. Bollo*** to the bank account.
  • fenix
    I think a lot of riders assume that you need to spend huge wads to get a decent bike and that at big bucks bike is so much faster. You don't and it really isn't.

Of course you could spend the cash - but you don't need to.

We can buy Wiggins' race bike - but if you haven't the fitness - its not going to let you ride like him.
  • Fenix wrote:

Out of date? Someone should tell my 11 year old bike that it won't work any more
    Road - '10 Giant Defy 3.5
    MTB - '05 Scott Yecora
    BMX - '04 Haro Nyquist R24 (don't judge me)
  • fenix
    Of course you can ride the same bike almost indefinitely - plenty of us do with a few repairs along the way.

I was pointing out that the advice to go for the big spend to avoid needing to replace the bike in the future isn't that valid. If you're splashing all that cash you'll probably be of the mindset that you can't live without the newest frameset or the latest technology. (plus the guy is a novice who probably doesn't yet know what's important in a bike to him)
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    I highly rate the Synapse having two of them, but as has been mentioned above, it would be better to buy two bikes for your 3K, either both now, or one now for winter use, and one in the Spring.

Being a Synapse Lover, I would advocate these two 2016 models (Which would cost 3.5K at full RRP):
    https://paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p6601/CANNONDALE-SYNAPSE-ALLOY-105-DISC-2016
    mdb-13109_synapsealloy105copy.jpg

Thought someone had the above for £700 recently, but can't recall who it was.

https://paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p6606/CANNONDALE-SYNAPSE-CARBON-DISC-ULTEGRA-2016
    6606-25770-main-nsp-65.jpg

This is a steal for 2K!
    And an amazing colour combo to boot.

If you were to buy two, maybe they would do you a deal?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • MikeBrew wrote:
    Getting dropped on your shiny new Pinarello or Cervelo by a fit chap (or worse still "chapess") on a £200 Halfords special is something to be avoided at all costs. (so I'm told :wink: )

Not that I want to spark a gender debate, but why is it so much worse to be dropped by a woman? I ride with several female riders of varying ability, one of whom regularly kicks my ass on a local hill climb...riding a single-speed. Similarly, I'm pretty sure Emily Chappell et al would drop me within the first few hours of the Transcontinental (if I ever had the guts to enter).
  • fenix
    Dents the male pride ?

I'm under no illusion that I'd be better than say Lizzie Armistead and co - but I'd be stung if I was beaten up a hill by a woman.
    Actually this has happened once and then I found out she was a pro - so I felt better. :-)

Hell it stings me if a bloke beats me up a hill.
  • OP, you don't need to spend that much as others have said, but if you want to go for it.

I'd recommend going down the steel route. When I started riding I was far heavier than I am now and I realised that a light bike was the least of my priorities.

I wanted something that would have longevity and I'd enjoy and was comfortable. Steel felt the way to go as did hydraulic disc brakes, which are awesome. (The disc naysayers will be buying them within 3 yrs, I bet).

My personal recommendation is the Condor Fratello Disc. I have one and absolutely adore it. Over time I've upgraded bits (made it lighter) and enjoy it even more.

Yes I am now looking at n+1, and yes it will be something much lighter, but I'll keep going back to the Fratello because it's a wonderful bike.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Daniel B wrote:
    I highly rate the Synapse having two of them, but as has been mentioned above, it would be better to buy two bikes for your 3K, either both now, or one now for winter use, and one in the Spring.

Being a Synapse Lover, I would advocate these two 2016 models (Which would cost 3.5K at full RRP):
    mdb-13109_synapsealloy105copy.jpg

https://paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p6606/CANNONDALE-SYNAPSE-CARBON-DISC-ULTEGRA-2016
    6606-25770-main-nsp-65.jpg

This is a steal for 2K!

Did you just recommend a winter bike without mudguard mounts.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    mamil314 wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

This is a steal for 2K!

Did you just recommend a winter bike without mudguard mounts.

Not as far as I was aware, no - unless the mounts have changed - my Adventure model comes with stock guards, so assume it is entirely possible.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12968790
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    Loving my Canyon Endurace CF SLX. Paid a bit above your budget for Di2 but the mechanical Ultegra model comes in at £3k.

Was also looking at a Synapse which wasn't that much difference in price but felt the Canyon offered better value and was more what I was after - better wheels, a bit more racey geometry and as we now have 4 Canyons I wasn't worried about delivery (bang on estimate) or service. I also just like the look of the thing

5Tko1S0NfwZbCrgp_JiUUvQDBlkcu0CvDs1gKylpzGm2j0A-5M9itmcyDARl35PjJOnczWVzZ3UE1g260jRI7SnJBZLXSICbMednxQP9o2Sfl85gyF07_RJ9alIdUZtq1wPqITj7j-qFJYhLGsw0QhwlZOCqAN_h5uN7lyaQLCHsIkKe076yDl366-jbdfC_6i1C5ljsCvR3j4BMEN7hf85DlrqYtSn9ZftHwhtp-jb5aoZtNJo3EJ_AbN-qdcC0DDzjZ4zpVwdYzbOXrMhsRLWPSpv7G4EKm1cK49uXidM2ffdu-utGAqu8qvjmEfOYnawuIyhP67_EkBq-46rWKpMNlTvcl7L3DnRZa0QGIWQHMNN_v8nVB1vE1hNk4F52LGuKqPyp9RHMgP4mIMDPyLvEFXPftSGTmBSH3KwclhPvhq87yDGLGI06iBuQ43geOlb6CF-t1IuKKQ4zXGGtlhgMM-LImVs9ezh4QEOsR6R28hRh0vfYHuSNqtGKFxpxHWSi-kgHsatBbSh6keRt12yDR0DYPXGdd6ta_wIXqdQv6Zl4jPsaYp_wQfx9rI3lfOsPSGtSiuWIBIRxHMqvj573fJMjSQ_BlN2znem494RahoRwi26D=w1244-h920-no

Won't take mudguards though but will take a 33mm tyre. So aside from commuting, it'll do most things
  • jimwalsh
    jimwalsh Posts: 113
    get a decent bike fit.

for 3k I would say go to somewhere like artisan cycles and get measured and get one built.
  • Dear All,

Thank you very much for your candid advice and suggestions. Based on the feedback provided I have decided to stay with my existing touring bike and aim for 125 - 150 miles per week for the next 3 - 4 months and hopefully loose some weight along the way. Perhaps I will reconsider on a new bike in Spring.
  • There's nothing like buying a new bike to make you want to go out & ride!

Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0 - £2,599 @ Pedal On. Reduced from £3,500. Bought one last month and am currently enjoying it!

Brad
    2016 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0
    2012 Scott Foil 40
    2009 Spesh Allez Elite
    2005 Rocky Mountain Element 70
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Fenix wrote:
    I'm under no illusion that I'd be better than say Lizzie Deignan and co - but I'd be stung if I was beaten up a hill by a woman.
    Actually this has happened once and then I found out she was a pro - so I felt better. :-)

FIFY :wink:
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D