Newbie + Tacx Flow Smart T2240 + Zwift

JoeK1973
JoeK1973 Posts: 9
Hi all,

Just got into road bikes after many years of having a MTB for the odd 20 mile jaunt here and there (but nothing regular). Lost weight and gained fitness since getting the road bike and want to keep it going through the winter and on the evenings when I can't get out there.

So I'm pretty set on the Tacx Flow Smart, seems a good trainer at a reasonable price. My question is - what do I need in order to get going in Zwift? Obviously the trainer, a PC, and Zwift, but what else? Do I need a bluetooth dongle or an ANT+ dongle? Do I also need a cadence/speed sensor? How important is having a HRM or power meter?

Hope you'll appreciate I'm new to this, sorry for the obvious questions but I'd like to know what I'm getting into :)

Joe

Comments

• Pretty sure you'll need the ANT+ dongle. Tacx do one with a cable connected if you have the lap top far away from the turbo. The turbo will output speed, cadence and power. The power is virtual but it's fine for training, you don't need a power meter. Make sure you keep the same tyre/pressure on the bike.

I like having a heartrate monitor but it's up to you, you don't really need one once you know your FTP. I use a magnetic resistance turbo with a speed/cadence sensor so I find it very useful (I also have used one for training for ages so prefer to have the data, even if I rarely look at it these days!).

Have a look at the Sufferfest app too, I'm a big fan of their videos for a more structured approach and they do have a couple of easier ones now to mix it up.
  • You will need an Ant+ stick, Zwift may well recommend a brand, TR do. I bought a generic one from Amazon and it works happily with Sufferfest, Zwift and Trainer Road.

I would probably look at some point on getting a cadence sensor as the Tacx cadence output can be something of a random number generator.

I didn't think the power was virtual on the Flow. I though it was an FE-C trainer and therefore the software can control the trainers power.

As the trainer gives power you don't need a HRM, however you may find it useful to measure the HRM data against your power data and try and replicate that on the road.

I would also look at the alternatives to Zwift, I'm sure they all have free trials of varying length. I too prefer the structure offered by TR and Sufferfest with an overall preference for TR for a variety of reasons.
  • JoeK1973 wrote:
    My question is - what do I need in order to get going in Zwift? Obviously the trainer, a PC, and Zwift, but what else? Do I need a bluetooth dongle or an ANT+ dongle?

Yes; I got one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Suunto-Movesti ... move+stick just works straight away.
    Do I also need a cadence/speed sensor? How important is having a HRM or power meter?

You don't need a speed sensor, a cadence sensor would be very useful as would a HRM for the same reasons as riding outside.
  • nibbsy
    nibbsy Posts: 41
    I am in the same boat as the OP, just picked up my Tacx Flow Smart today.

Can anyone confirm whether this will work with it? https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Sounds like it will from the Amazon comments, but would like some confirmation and might also help others out.
  • It's also notable that if you have a smartphone you can use the Zwift Mobile Link app to bridge the power data from Bluetooth on the trainer into your PC. If you have a Mac you can use bluetooth natively on there.
  • nibbsy
    It's also notable that if you have a smartphone you can use the Zwift Mobile Link app to bridge the power data from Bluetooth on the trainer into your PC. If you have a Mac you can use bluetooth natively on there.

Wait, so does this mean that you can just connect via bluetooth on a Mac? Would there be no need for ANT+?
  • Nibbsy wrote:
    It's also notable that if you have a smartphone you can use the Zwift Mobile Link app to bridge the power data from Bluetooth on the trainer into your PC. If you have a Mac you can use bluetooth natively on there.

Wait, so does this mean that you can just connect via bluetooth on a Mac? Would there be no need for ANT+?

As long as it's a relatively new Mac yes
  • nicklong
    nicklong Posts: 231
    Any Mac post-2013 should be good to go - they are Bluetooth 4.0 compatible (although check online for your particular model!).
  • myideal
    myideal Posts: 231
    I did much the same and purchased one of these. Seems to be working well at the moment on the time that I have spent on it. I just used the tacx fitness test on the app and then Bkool app on the ipad. These both seem to work well. I would like to get Zwift on the go, however think I will wait until the ipad version comes out as believe it is not far away and this supports bluetooth as well?
  • Nibbsy wrote:
    I am in the same boat as the OP, just picked up my Tacx Flow Smart today.

Can anyone confirm whether this will work with it? https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Sounds like it will from the Amazon comments, but would like some confirmation and might also help others out.

This is the one I bought. Probably from the same stable

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LIIMHP4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • myideal wrote:
    I did much the same and purchased one of these. Seems to be working well at the moment on the time that I have spent on it. I just used the tacx fitness test on the app and then Bkool app on the ipad. These both seem to work well. I would like to get Zwift on the go, however think I will wait until the ipad version comes out as believe it is not far away and this supports bluetooth as well?

Next Friday (9th December) is where the betting money currently is for the iOS release. iPad will only support bluetooth.
  • nibbsy
    nicklong wrote:
    Any Mac post-2013 should be good to go - they are Bluetooth 4.0 compatible (although check online for your particular model!).

Ah, I think it's 2012... But a quick google seems to say that the Macbook Air was updated with BT 4.0 in 2011, so I might just about be ok.

Thanks for the help.
  • Thanks for the info! Will get the ANT+ dongle (although I'll also try connecting through the Mobile link app too as markhewitt1978 mentioned)

Think I understand it now. The Flow Smart doesn't have a USB cable so can communicate to a PC either through ANT+ (requiring a ANT= dongle at the PC) or with Bluetooth (or Bluetooth Smart I think it's actually called?). Reading in various forums, the ANT+ seems like it works more reliably than Bluetooth.

I'll be running Zwift on a windows laptop (my wife's), just out of curiosity what is the weediest laptop anyone is running this on? Am thinking I may get a 2nd hand laptop with an i3-3110m (which is the cheapest CPU with the minimum-spec Intel HD 4000 graphics). Of course if Zwift for iOS is released very soon then I may get a 2nd hand iPad Air 1 or iPad Mini 2! lol

Let us know what the Flow Smart is like Nibbsy!
  • myideal
    I have been impressed with the Smart Flow as it seems to work well. I can't wait for Zwift to appear for the Ipad as hoping that it will work well. Im finding that Bkool is not that stable on my ipad mini 3, which I suspect is the same for most people given Apple control the hardware.

Also I am having issues getting Bkool to see the trainer as a "Smart Trainer", however that could be me that has done something wrong, I guess.
  • nicklong
    myideal wrote:
    I have been impressed with the Smart Flow as it seems to work well. I can't wait for Zwift to appear for the Ipad as hoping that it will work well. Im finding that Bkool is not that stable on my ipad mini 3, which I suspect is the same for most people given Apple control the hardware.

Also I am having issues getting Bkool to see the trainer as a "Smart Trainer", however that could be me that has done something wrong, I guess.

Tacx app will work with Bluetooth but I think anything else on iOS will need an ANT+ key as the open smart controls are via ANT+ FE-C.
  • Not so. Most including Trainer Road and the forthcoming Zwift app will connect on bluetooth
  • myideal
    I tried it with Zwift this morning and it worked well with the bluetooth bridge to the computer. However im not sure that it was changing the resistance with the trainer.

When I went to pair it up, I had no issues with finding the Tacx Smart T2240 on the Power Source and the Cadence options, however on the Controllable Trainer option it was just not finding anything. Is this right for this trainer? Im guessing I need this setting enabled for it to change the resistance? I am doing all this over bluetooth so is this where the issue is?
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    myideal wrote:
    I tried it with Zwift this morning and it worked well with the bluetooth bridge to the computer. However im not sure that it was changing the resistance with the trainer.

When I went to pair it up, I had no issues with finding the Tacx Smart T2240 on the Power Source and the Cadence options, however on the Controllable Trainer option it was just not finding anything. Is this right for this trainer? Im guessing I need this setting enabled for it to change the resistance? I am doing all this over bluetooth so is this where the issue is?
    Unpair it as a power source and the option to pair as a controllable trainer will highlight
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • myideal
    NeXXus wrote:
    myideal wrote:

Unpair it as a power source and the option to pair as a controllable trainer will highlight

Thanks ... what an idiot I feel now if its that simple. :D:D:D
  • nicklong
    JoeK1973 wrote:
    I'll be running Zwift on a windows laptop (my wife's), just out of curiosity what is the weediest laptop anyone is running this on? Am thinking I may get a 2nd hand laptop with an i3-3110m (which is the cheapest CPU with the minimum-spec Intel HD 4000 graphics). Of course if Zwift for iOS is released very soon then I may get a 2nd hand iPad Air 1 or iPad Mini 2! lol

I'm running Zwift on a 2010 white Macbook, Intel Core Duo and integrated Nvidia graphics. Get about 15-20 fps but it's perfectly 'playable'. It's the most basic graphics though.
  • Just ordered the Tacx Flow and will be using with Zwift on my Windows Laptop, Im trying to figure out if i need an Ant+ dongle or will the laptop's own bluetooth be sufficiant to pair the smart features ok?

Thanks in advance.

Mitch
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • myideal
    BigMitch41 wrote:
    Just ordered the Tacx Flow and will be using with Zwift on my Windows Laptop, Im trying to figure out if i need an Ant+ dongle or will the laptop's own bluetooth be sufficiant to pair the smart features ok?

Thanks in advance.

Mitch

No you can download the Zwift app for your phone, which seems to act like a bride to the bluetooth and it just all works. You need to make sure the phone and the computer are on the same WiFi network though.

However, from what has been said im looking forward to Zwift on the ipad. Sounds like this will work on Bluetooth without the need for the app to bridge.
  • Thanks Myideal thats great! ill give it a go, should be here in a couple of days.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • myideal
    NeXXus wrote:
    myideal wrote:

I tried that tonight and no joy, it didn't find it as a smart trainer. Is this because I'm doing it over Bluetooth then?

Am I right I thinking that the iOS app will work with Bluetooth on the smart trainer? If so all is not lost and well worth waiting for.
  • Yes it will. Should be released any day now.
  • myideal
    Yes it will. Should be released any day now.

So my Tacx Flow Smart T2240 will actually be smart over Bluetooth! :D

I can't wait as beats having to lumber the laptop into the garage all the time. I suspect this could be massive for turbo training and the indoor cycling world, as then it becomes really simple.
  • myideal
    BTW:

Does anyone known of a good iPad mini holder / mount for the bike handlebars? Also where to purchase one of those from?
  • So I got the T2240, had a couple of head scratching sessions trying to hook up Zwift using my Nexus 5 (using Zwift Mobile Link as a bluetooth/Wifi bridge). Basically, Zwift was recognising the T2240 in the 'power meter' and 'cadence' sensors but not as a controllable trainer. Anyway, I thought I'd try my iPad Mini (version 1) and see if it performed any better.

Success! Recognised as controllable trainer, power, and cadenc estraightaway, and performed flawlessly for the 90 mins I spent finding my way around Watopia. Also did a 20 min FTP test, my legs feel it this morning!
    myideal wrote:
    BTW:

Does anyone known of a good iPad mini holder / mount for the bike handlebars? Also where to purchase one of those from?

I'm thinking of getting this one - http://www.halfords.com/cycling/turbo-trainers/turbo-trainer-accessories/tacx-tablet-handlebar-mount
  • nibbsy
    Quick update... I got mine set up over the weekend. Initially tried connecting via bluetooth direct to the Macbook, but the connection seemed quite flaky so plugged in the Ant+ dongle (with USB extension cable) - very glad I had ordered this just in case, worked perfectly. Would recommend the dongle I linked upthread, to anyone looking for one.

Since then I've done a 20 min FTP test (nearly killed me) and Day 1 of the FTP builder. Loving it so far. Looking forward to the full iOS release as will save taking the Macbook (and power lead etc) out to the garage - hopefully the bluetooth connection works better on that.

A few other newbie questions:
    - Are all the available workouts listed on the dashboard, or is there a way of accessing/downloading more?
    - Is there a way of accessing the content (workouts, stats, achievements, maps etc) other than from within the program? i.e. anywhere online?

Any other newbie tips much appreciated!
  • Nibbsy wrote:
    A few other newbie questions:
    - Are all the available workouts listed on the dashboard, or is there a way of accessing/downloading more?

You can go to http://www.zwiftworkouts.com/ it requires you to download files to folders on your computer, there's no direct way using the app. I think you can do it with iPad too but does mean messing with iTunes.
    - Is there a way of accessing the content (workouts, stats, achievements, maps etc) other than from within the program? i.e. anywhere online?!

Not really, it's a bit deficient in that regard. Your past rides are on http://my.zwift.com/ the current ride schedules are at http://www.whatsonzwift.com where you can find a workouts database too. There is a Watopia map here http://zwiftblog.com/map/ there are also London and Richmond maps on that site.