Overpriced Property?

Comments

• dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Ah, that's the other thing he said. His train season ticket was something stupid - £8k rings a bell but seems astronomical?!
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    I used to do Derby to Paddington 4 days a week, slipped into it as initially it was a day, then two etc then it became most of the week. It's surprising how quickly you get used to it, roll out of bed at 5:30, out of the house in 30 minutes, 6.30 train, head down on empty train wake up arriving in London on packed train, leave work at 5 (or as soon as the boss left - he used to catch the same tube as me so I often had to hide on the stairs until it arrived so he wouldn't know I'd left straight afterhim) home by 8. I was early 20s at the time but there were men with families that had been doing this 20 years - we worked for the railway so all travel was free and people were racking up huge commutes.

I say I'm lucky living up here but looking at those times it's not all perfect. My office is only 10 minutes drive away but I tend to spend 2/3 days a week on site, sites could be anywhere in the UK and Ireland (though mostly in south and west Scotland). If I'm doing more than one day in a similar area or travelling anywhere over 3 hours drive I'll stay over night but I regularly leave here at half 5 in the morning and get back at 8:30. GF doesn't mind too much but I wouldn't want to be doing that everyday, plus driving that much makes me really tired
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I've worked with a few people who would regularly pressure someone to go for a drink with them untill 8 or so. Over a year of doing this or so, one of them slipped that he just wanted some drinks because hated having to bathe or put his kids to bed.

I'm really quite keen to fly out the office door and leave my chair spinning if it means I get to see my wife for a bit longer after work. I don't think they felt the same.
    I don't really understand that attitude either. I tend to judge how well my job's going these days by how many nights a week I get home in time to bath my son and read him his bedtime story. Best part of my day! :)
  • I had a lot of personal experience of the housing problem and the fact that houses were unaffordable to locals when volunteering for a North Wales based pressure group during the 90's/2000's.

Many locals were forced out of the housing market by inflated prices as "city types" with a bit of disposable were snapping up all the properties as weekend / holiday homes.

Very quickly the villages became ghost towns during the week but at weekends there was an influx of people who didn't really (property aside) have a vested interest in the village.

Whilst I appreciate this problem wasn't peculiar to North Wales (see examples previously stated in this thread Cornwall, The Lakes, The Peak) what was unique was that it was further diluting the language as local people were being forced to move away to be able to purchase property thus dispersing the concentration of Welsh speakers.

The knock on is also felt twenty years down the line when a lot of these people then retire to these properties and by the very nature of being older (I know from personal experience) you do use the NHS a lot more putting pressure on what are hospitals not geared up for a significant swell in patients.

I personally could not afford to buy a property in my preferred location in North Wales so I became another of the dispersed Welsh speakers and now live in a place where I never use the language any more (except to watch S4c) as there is no-one to speak with. On the other hand my accent gets more scouse by the day!!
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I had a lot of personal experience of the housing problem and the fact that houses were unaffordable to locals when volunteering for a North Wales based pressure group during the 90's/2000's.

Many locals were forced out of the housing market by inflated prices as "city types" with a bit of disposable were snapping up all the properties as weekend / holiday homes.

Very quickly the villages became ghost towns during the week but at weekends there was an influx of people who didn't really (property aside) have a vested interest in the village.

Whilst I appreciate this problem wasn't peculiar to North Wales (see examples previously stated in this thread Cornwall, The Lakes, The Peak) what was unique was that it was further diluting the language as local people were being forced to move away to be able to purchase property thus dispersing the concentration of Welsh speakers.

The knock on is also felt twenty years down the line when a lot of these people then retire to these properties and by the very nature of being older (I know from personal experience) you do use the NHS a lot more putting pressure on what are hospitals not geared up for a significant swell in patients.

I personally could not afford to buy a property in my preferred location in North Wales so I became another of the dispersed Welsh speakers and now live in a place where I never use the language any more (except to watch S4c) as there is no-one to speak with. On the other hand my accent gets more scouse by the day!!

Time to get the matches out again?

Could be worse though, you could be living in Rhyl!!
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Conwy is where I would live along there, it's probably expensive because it's a nice place.

I saw a local election campaign leaflet from the SNP the other day which said residents here need more affordable housing. I'm not sure whether I'm missing something but you can pick up a 2 bed house around here for £60-80k and a 3 bed for less than £100k, maybe it's just an election buzz word
  • Mr Goo wrote:
    The most extraordinary commute I know of was a consultant engineer I used to call on in Kidlington just outside Oxford. He commuted every day from Doncaster...... By car!
    I set myself a time limit - no more than two hours, for the right job of course. I once did Reading to Cardiff every day for 4 months, which was right on that limit. Doncaster to Kidlington looks like it'd be much worse than that, even if you put the extra distance aside, because some of the roads you'd drive on would be a nightmare at rush hour. At least with the M4 I was mostly going against the traffic, until Bath/Bristol and then the outskirts of Cardiff (the last few miles from the M4 to Cardiff Bay usually took 30 mins, so 25% of the total commute time).

Mind you, I now have a 12 mile commute that can take up to an hour! I should ride it, but while it would be no slower going in (and sometimes quicker), it would be slower going home and the wife's appreciative of me getting home promptly to relieve her of childcare duties.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    JoeNobody wrote:
    Mind you, I now have a 12 mile commute that can take up to an hour! I should ride it, but while it would be no slower going in (and sometimes quicker), it would be slower going home and the wife's appreciative of me getting home promptly to relieve her of childcare duties.
    12mph? Man up.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    I'm really quite keen to fly out the office door and leave my chair spinning if it means I get to see my wife for a bit longer after work. I don't think they felt the same.
    I turned down a job because it would have meant not seeing the kids during the week when they were younger, career progression is very much second to family. I'm in what some seem to consider a strange position in that I like spending time with my wife after 20 years of marriage. I even like my kids, although they do have their moments of course.
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    I used to have a lovely house in Wales, great village. However the personal price was living somewhere great but being away from home all week working, out at 4am Monday, back 10 pm Friday.

I recently looked at buying a house in Wales as a second home (after all savings rates are peanuts and house prices keep going up), but decided not to because of the incomer/second home thing. Still cannot work out why buying a house back where I met my wife, got married and brought up my kids would see me as a hated second home owner to be penalised, when it is effectively going home but not taking anyone's job to do so.
  • If I time my commute well it's 15 minutes. If I don't and hit the local school run its 35.

I go home at lunch but don't cycle to work - it isn't even woth getting a sweat on for the 11 minute journey.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    Can't even get to the station in 15 minutes :x

I spent less time commuting when I lived in Wales, doing the length of the M4 each way each week, or when I weekly commuted to Germany, than I do now on a regular commuting route into London.

So much for getting a job closer to home.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    I seem to be progressively moving further away. Still only 16 miles but takes an hour each way from desk to door (Parking charges mean a 15 minute walk to where it's free). Frustrating really as when there's no traffic I can do it in 25 minutes or so (plus the walk)
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,865
    Tashman wrote:
    I seem to be progressively moving further away. Still only 16 miles but takes an hour each way from desk to door (Parking charges mean a 15 minute walk to where it's free). Frustrating really as when there's no traffic I can do it in 25 minutes or so (plus the walk)
    I think I'd cycle that distance if it were taking an hour to drive - sitting in a slow or stationary car does my nut in, if I could be cycling instead.
  • Tashman
    Tashman wrote:
    I think I'd cycle that distance if it were taking an hour to drive - sitting in a slow or stationary car does my nut in, if I could be cycling instead.
    Unfortunately lack of facilities and fitness stop me doing that right now
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    Tashman wrote:
    Tashman wrote:

a slow last mile and baby wipe are your friend
  • Tashman
    TLW1 wrote:
    Tashman wrote:
    Tashman wrote:

A seemingly easily irritated knee injury isn't presently unfortunately though :(
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I'm in what some seem to consider a strange position in that I like spending time with my wife after 20 years of marriage. I even like my kids, although they do have their moments of course.

Quite.

At your funeral people will remember you as a family man a lot more than they will your job, so good for you.

Edit: as an aside, lots of stories came out about Cruyff after he died. Everyone had a comment on what a good bloke he was because, ultimately, he was a through and through family man. Turns out he retired from international football in '77 because his wife suffered from really severe anxiety when he left Europe and he didn't want to put her through that. He just refused to tell anyone about it, and took all the (considerable) heat himself.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638
    Tashman wrote:
    TLW1 wrote:
    Tashman wrote:
    Tashman wrote:

A seemingly easily irritated knee injury isn't presently unfortunately though :(

A very gentle ride might actually help that.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Tashman
    rjsterry wrote:
    Tashman wrote:
    TLW1 wrote:
    Tashman wrote:
    Tashman wrote:

Indeed it might, the south downs between home and work don't leave much gentle unfortunately, not at my current climbing ability anyway. I know i sound fulll of excuses but I will be doing it eventually honest :?
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    Tashman wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Tashman wrote:
    TLW1 wrote:
    Tashman wrote:
    Tashman wrote:

Indeed it might, the south downs between home and work don't leave much gentle unfortunately, not at my current climbing ability anyway. I know i sound fulll of excuses but I will be doing it eventually honest :?

electric bike?
  • Tashman
    TLW1 wrote:
    Tashman wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Tashman wrote:
    TLW1 wrote:
    Tashman wrote:
    Tashman wrote:

electric bike?
    :) - You buying?
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    12mph? Man up.
    Well, yes, quite. However I'd have to manage 24mph average to equal the time it takes to get home after work as it's pretty consistently half an hour. I'd also have to factor in changing clothes on arrival at work/before departure/on arrival at home and showering at work...
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    JoeNobody wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    12mph? Man up.
    Well, yes, quite. However I'd have to manage 24mph average to equal the time it takes to get home after work as it's pretty consistently half an hour. I'd also have to factor in changing clothes on arrival at work/before departure/on arrival at home and showering at work...
    True. But you can do all of the above in the hour. You have to shower anyway. And you will save time long run but not having to go out on the bike at other times/go to the gym. Commuting/gym costs transfer to gear purchases. And you get fitter. And cycling is a happier, better start to the day compared to sitting in a car. And......
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    PBlakeney wrote:
    JoeNobody wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    12mph? Man up.
    True. But you can do all of the above in the hour. You have to shower anyway. And you will save time long run but not having to go out on the bike at other times/go to the gym. Commuting/gym costs transfer to gear purchases. And you get fitter. And cycling is a happier, better start to the day compared to sitting in a car. And......
    Indeed to all of these. I chipped away at the 'excuses' I had for not cycling to work every day (weather - buy proper gear; stuff needed at work - buy spare stuff; etc.), and not only was the outlay recovered very quickly in comparison with driving (fuel/maintenance/parking costs), but in no time at all I couldn't imagine going back to driving or catching a train/bus.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    I spend a lot of time in Salcombe and love the place but it is ruined by complete c**k womble weekenders who parade around in their pristine sailing gear and wear their life jackets whilst walking around town in case anyone has missed the fact they have a yacht (in the 12 years I've been a regular visitor I reckon we'll over half the boats moored there haven't left the harbour and even fewer have out of the estuary). There's a volume house builder I do a lot of work for who have just built a new estate right on the edge of town and are proudly advertising 3 bed homes from I think it was £375k but may have been more. People talk about London house prices but the average house price to earnings in more desirable coastal locations in Devon and Cornwall must be significantly higher. I did some work for a development in Rock about 10 years ago and the cheapest house was £1.6 million!

The Councils are trying to rectify things in places like St. Ives with planning conditions to make affordable housing available for locals on any new developments but it's too little too late.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Ok forumites. Whilst on my rounds this morning, I happened to look in the local estate agent window and saw this 4 bed mid terraced property for sale. Yours for a cool £1.3 million. Not in London. And definitely not Sandbanks (those are all 'Look at Me!' glass boxes)
    10-egremont-terrace-main.jpg?itok=4Ux8Heib

Haha, 'Victorian Villa spread over 4 floors'. That's a terraced house with cellar and a loft, I wouldn't pay £200k for it. We're looking at moving in 2-3 years, somewhere in or around Sheffield closer to the Peak District and will get a 4 or 5 bed detached with big gardens for ~£300k.
  • briantrumpet
    NorvernRob wrote:
    Haha, 'Victorian Villa spread over 4 floors'. That's a terraced house with cellar and a loft, I wouldn't pay £200k for it. We're looking at moving in 2-3 years, somewhere in or around Sheffield closer to the Peak District and will get a 4 or 5 bed detached with big gardens for ~£300k.
    Haha, reminds me of someone who was doing a government survey of householders in my area several years ago. One question was "How would you describe your house: detached/semi-detached/terraced?" Most of the houses round here are effectively terraced because of the way they are all jammed in a small space, but it seems that once the value goes above £500k they magically become 'detached'... much to the amusement of the lady doing the survey.

Mind you, if you want a detached house, there are a few here - this one was on the market for £2.5m in 2006:

orig_Anchor_House_007.jpg
  • NorvernRob wrote:
    Haha, reminds me of someone who was doing a government survey of householders in my area several years ago. One question was "How would you describe your house: detached/semi-detached/terraced?" Most of the houses round here are effectively terraced because of the way they are all jammed in a small space, but it seems that once the value goes above £500k they magically become 'detached'... much to the amusement of the lady doing the survey.

Mind you, if you want a detached house, there are a few here - this one was on the market for £2.5m in 2006:

orig_Anchor_House_007.jpg

They have more chairs outside their house than I do on the inside of mine. Maybe that could be a new wealth index, how much seating you have.
  • briantrumpet
    They have more chairs outside their house than I do on the inside of mine. Maybe that could be a new wealth index, how much seating you have.
    Even the tables are detached.