Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Sure, but rum is kinda staple.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    edited January 2020

mr_goo said:

I was chatting to a client couple of months ago who is starting up a Bourbon distillery in Dorset. He reckons that Bourbon is the next big spirits market to take off. It will be interesting to see.

You're client is wrong. My best mate was a marketing manager for Diageo's Scottish distillers and he's now a consultant for the booze trade (and making daft money). Rum is the next big thing. Mezcal is also on the up too.
    I went to a very fancy hipster whisky/bourbon place in Shoreditch last year so I wouldn't be surprised if it became more popular. I drink what I'm told then rave about it as if I'm individual and authentic.

I was given a bottle of Laphroaig for Christmas by someone I work with, very pleased.
  • mr_goo what's your chap going to call his product, because as far as I'm aware he can't call it bourbon - bourbon needs to be made in the US (and some say it must be distilled in Kentucky - but that's open to debate).
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,546
    edited January 2020

Sure, but rum is kinda staple.

Not if you don't like it ;)

I've never noticed it particularly restricting my options (i'm fine with dark rum), but then I very rarely drink cocktails or spirits in bars, in fact i very rarely drink in bars at all.

I got a christmas bottle of Lagavulin which is great but now I have to completely remodel my house around a large open fireplace and armchair.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPY_EuvimH0
  • rick_chasey
    Ah yes, I have a well stocked drinks cabinet so most cocktails at home are fair game for me.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Mine looks pretty bare at the moment, had loads of bottles I gave away unopened. Finished a few bottles off started some others.
    I do need to pick up another bottle of Suntory Toki, sans Bill Murray of course.
  • Ah yes, I have a well stocked drinks cabinet so most cocktails at home are fair game for me.

Same here. I'm not a big drinker (any more) but I love a really good cocktail. Difford's website gets a major workout in our house https://www.diffordsguide.com/

• rick_chasey
    Yes diffords is a bit of a bible.