Whisky

Comments

• Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940

Penderyn Madeira. Ysgafn gyda caramel siwgrog, ffrwythau sych a nodiadau grawnfwyd braenog yn bresennol. Mae'r elfennau fanila, ffrwythau ffres ac llysieuol o'r trwyn yn dod trwodd hefyd. Mae'r gorffeniad yn weddol hir am rywbeth sy'n wisgi ysgafn ac mae'n adfywiol, gyda melyster siwgrog pleserus a phrennaidd.

Bless you.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    2 years since the original post so I would hazard a guess that he's managed to find a bottle for his mother by now.
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Depends,he could have been walking to get it and it was a really long way and then decided to drink it on the way home.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,026
    Yes I did get something - Laphroaig - I took the advice to ask what kind of flavours she liked first.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Was given a bottle of my favourite Ardbeg 10yr old last week for my birthday. Thank you father in law.
    Very much looking forward to consuming over the festive period.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    Appreciate you’re all chatting Scotch but I have really got into bourbon this year.

Have tried quite a lot this year so happy to offer any suggestions if anyone wants any.
  • thecycleclinic
    thecycleclinic Posts: 395
    edited December 2019
    Ffs two year post.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • thecycleclinic
    thecycleclinic Posts: 395
    edited December 2019

haydenm wrote:

A friend of mine brought some honey flavoured Jack Daniels to my house last week, we've not been students for a good few years so I have no idea why he still thinks that is acceptable. Needless to say I mocked him for a good few minutes, then we drank it all with coke and nearly died of sugar rush

:D:smile:

Still got a bottle of that its nasty.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • Appreciate you’re all chatting Scotch but I have really got into bourbon this year.

Have tried quite a lot this year so happy to offer any suggestions if anyone wants any.

Bourbons are quite good, so are rye and corn whiskeys.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • mr_goo
    I was chatting to a client couple of months ago who is starting up a Bourbon distillery in Dorset. He reckons that Bourbon is the next big spirits market to take off. It will be interesting to see.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368

Appreciate you’re all chatting Scotch but I have really got into bourbon this year.

prices are almost peat whisky levels thesedays though for some brands, I cant work out if they are just profiteering or what, given the amount of gin that has literally flooded the drinks market, youd think theyd be more keenly priced
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    edited January 2020
    mr_goo said:

I was chatting to a client couple of months ago who is starting up a Bourbon distillery in Dorset. He reckons that Bourbon is the next big spirits market to take off. It will be interesting to see.

I tried some of the best after recommendations on here and didn't enjoy them as much as whisky. Different strokes for different folks.
    Latest project is to find the perfect (for me) gin and vodka choices for the Vesper Martini.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    pblakeney said:

mr_goo said:

I tried some of the best after recommendations on here and didn't enjoy them as much as whisky. Different strokes for different folks.
    Latest project is to find the perfect (for me) gin and vodka choices for the Vesper Martini.
    Same here. Not a patch on good Scotch IMHO or certainly not to my taste at least.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,658
    shortfall said:

pblakeney said:

mr_goo said:

Same here. Not a patch on good Scotch IMHO or certainly not to my taste at least.
    + 1

Bourbon reminds me too much of cigar bars and other dodgy places. :-)

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • mr_goo
    pblakeney said:

mr_goo said:

I can't be doing with bourbon. Too many Scottish single malts to explore and enjoy.
  • rick_chasey
    awavey said:

prices are almost peat whisky levels thesedays though for some brands, I cant work out if they are just profiteering or what, given the amount of gin that has literally flooded the drinks market, youd think theyd be more keenly priced
    it is a lot more popular than it used to be but whisky is naturally not as quick to adjust supply to demand for fairly obvious reasons so I would just imagine that is pushing the price up.

It's still a faff having to get anything above the bog standard ranges and as above you pay through the nose for it.

I am a fan of both but err on the side of bourbon as I just like that sweeter start to the whole thing.
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

mr_goo said:

Depending on your price range....and how strong you like it, but my go to gin for short drinks at the moment is City of London no.5 (though tbh any decent classic style gin is good for this, just avoid the more arsenal stuff), and for vodka I don' like it to taste of much since I'm not drinking it neat so I would go bog standard smirnoff or, if I'm feeling spenny I'll go for Beluga.
  • mr_goo said:

You're client is wrong. My best mate was a marketing manager for Diageo's Scottish distillers and he's now a consultant for the booze trade (and making daft money). Rum is the next big thing. Mezcal is also on the up too.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023

awavey said:

it is a lot more popular than it used to be but whisky is naturally not as quick to adjust supply to demand for fairly obvious reasons so I would just imagine that is pushing the price up.

It's still a faff having to get anything above the bog standard ranges and as above you pay through the nose for it.

I am a fan of both but err on the side of bourbon as I just like that sweeter start to the whole thing.
    Bourbon prices have been going daft for a while now. I've only ever bought bottles to be drunk but now I've a few I'm minded to sell rather than consume given the potentional value of them. The prices on the Michters limited editions are crazy imo.
    For the last year or so I've been almost exclusively drinking rye whiskey but have now swung back to bourbons again. Rye is nice but the relentless spicyness can get too much.
  • pblakeney

... Rum is the next big thing...

As an alternative to whisky, now you are talking!
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    pblakeney said:

yeah but not Barcadi :p
  • Got a bottle.of kala van soloists from taiwan
    Cask strength 59.4% and adding water runs it. Neat. Its lovely. As soon as it touches tour tongue it evaporates and foods your nose a s palate.

The rest of the world makes damm fine whiskey. In fact some of the best whiskeysi have tried in the couple of years have not been scottish. American and Japanese whiskeys have really got my taste buds excited.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    awavey said:

pblakeney said:

The 8 year old isn't that bad.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,878
    I Dunno about that, I tried it as a 16 year old and it put me off for life.
  • pblakeney
    It's not alcopops for kids right enough.
    Try it again as a grown up.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • awavey said:

pblakeney said:

Carta Blanca, when used properly, makes some of the best cocktails out there. A natural daiquiri demands it!

• rick_chasey
    monkimark said:

I Dunno about that, I tried it as a 16 year old and it put me off for life.

Good argument against teenage drinking.

The amount of people I know who have stories like "drank so much red wine when i was 15 i can't drink it anymore" etc.

What a waste.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    It was bacardi in my case. For decades later, the smell of it made me want to throw up.
    Can drink it now, but that may be because I have lost my sense of smell.
  • rick_chasey
    edited January 2020
    Oh what a shame!

Aren't many more enjoyable ways to spend an afternoon or evening than sitting at a bar that knows its sh!t with a mate and slowly making your way through the aray of spirits, either straight or via short cocktails.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,878
    edited January 2020
    I think I only put myself off Bacardi and Creme de menthol, I'm sure I could still have a good few of evenings working through a decent bar full of spirits without running out of options.
    I don't think I liked either of them to start with anyway.