Can I afford to start a family ?

13»

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Pinno wrote:
    WTF did I do before children?! We're broke but we're happy.

I am cycling more because you take every opportunity you can whereas before it was "I think I might go out for a bike ride..perhaps it will rain... sod it, i'll pedal tomorrow".
    I would love to have a 3rd but in mid 40's me now (OH is 32) so i'll be kicking 65 and coffin dodging by the time they are ready to flee the nest but I couldn't imagine 4 or even 5 as one poster has. That's proper full on that is.
    My two are at the age the conversations I have with them are hilarious and priceless. They are the manifestation of everything good, bad and indifferent in us. It's a frightening thought.

You're in an, almost, identical situation to me.
  • Garry H
    The one thing I did not bargain for was that as soon as we found out that we were going to gave a child, my whole perspective on life and what is important completely changed.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    Garry H wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

I...thought.

You're still not getting my bike.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Garry H
    Pinno wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

I...thought.

I knew I should have bought that Master before the girl child arrived :cry:
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    Garry H wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

I...thought.

I knew I should have bought that Master before the girl child arrived :cry:

If it cheers you up I got my master after the bin kids turned up :)
  • My little one came back late from nursery and instead of being tired was like he has just taken speed. He was so talkative. The news was on with a local news.story about animal rescue centre. He told me all about the front animals and hibernation. Then when a dodgy news bit came on I turned it off. He told me off, at 100mph, telling me he likes to hear the news. About tram crash and some police officer getting attacked. I've had words with grandad before about leaving the news on with my boy. He soaks everything up but he's no longer getting upset by the news.

Anyway, the joys of a conversation with a bright 3 year old is worth the risk of just about managing financially. Have kids, two at least, before you're 40. In fact before 30 is best IMHO. Leaving it then not being able to have kids is not worth the greater financial security. I had given up on fatherhood despite still only being the wrong end of 30s.

BTW the fears of being a first time parent with a newborn is an experience. Strapping your newborn into the car seat and driving home. You really notice bad driving habits then, both yours and others. All the anxieties are put into perspective by the first smile (wind) or first steps (really try not to.miss them), etc. It's your greatest piece of work!