Black Friday Deals

2»

Comments

• bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Just got a DeLonghi Nespresso machine in John Lewis for £99.95

Was £150 a week ago.

Best bit is I had a £100 gift voucher, and I also get £75 worth of coffee capsules included

What a waste of money.
    What a bargain and trust me it's money well spent
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847

Was £150 a week ago.

Best bit is I had a £100 gift voucher, and I also get £75 worth of coffee capsules included

What a waste of money.

Explain why
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    iPete wrote:

Just the job(with arm warmers) for this chilly weather, ordered one of these up. Cheers for the info ! :D
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847

Was £150 a week ago.

What a waste of money.

Explain why

You're wasting your time if you think you'll get any sense out of FloppyDickEnds. Nothing more than a lightweight troll like the weird guy sat on the stool in the corner of the pub that everyone ignores.

Just curious why someone posts such a weird comment without backing it up. Proper troll behaviour.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Maybe you should do a poll on how many of these have been used for a few months and are now gathering dust in the back of the cupboard. Next to the juicer, bread maker and Gearge Forman grill. :D
  • In my experience, people really like them. Judging by how many Nespresso-style capsules the supermarkets (both U.K. and NL) offer, I'd say they are very popular and successful.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Webboo wrote:
    Maybe you should do a poll on how many of these have been used for a few months and are now gathering dust in the back of the cupboard. Next to the juicer, bread maker and Gearge Forman grill. :D

Use mine every day - best hundred odd quid I ever spent but then I like coffee. Never seen milk so frothy before :lol:

Think about it though its like anything I wonder how many bikes bought on RTW are sitting in sheds gathering dust after only a maiden voyage - you can say that about anything.

Anyhow this is a bike forum not a coffee shop.
  • webboo
    The only people I know with one my daughter and son in law don't use theirs, everyone else I know makes proper coffee 8)
  • Webboo wrote:
    The only people I know with one my daughter and son in law don't use theirs, everyone else I know makes proper coffee 8)

I'd say that it makes "proper coffee" much better than most people who think that they're making "proper coffee" :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • webboo
    I guess that depends on whether you like hot coffee flavoured milkshakes or coffee.
  • Webboo wrote:
    I guess that depends on whether you like hot coffee flavoured milkshakes or coffee.

Yeah - you're right - most of the "proper coffee" people make is only fit for being diluted with milk. Nespresso (with the right capsules) actually makes a passable espresso. There's some foul "flavoured coffees" they make too. There's no accounting for taste.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    edited November 2016
    @ bristolpete
    The problem I have with black friday is I dont get cheap deals myself or if I do (some distributors are offering deals it is on kit that is end of model year and has been replaced, they are going to discount anyway) when I buy so I cant pass it on unless i am willing to take a loss but I do that anyway sometimes on stock that is not shifting. Got plenty of repeat custom because I sell stuff other retailers don't.

Once a retailer starts discounting heavily you have to continue because the customers that buy from you on discount keep wanting that. This means they dont value you as a retailer or what you sell, they are just looking for the cheapest deal. it can work for mass market products which I dont do anyway because there is no money in it. It only works becuase there is over supply in the market and too many retaillers selling the same thing. I am not daft, if I want to be a busy fool I would buy shimano in bulk and discount heavily. I'd make no money but i could cover cost and my wages but the business would not grow either.

The one black friday deal I did go for from a distributor was for some pedals. I took 30 pairs but after I asked is this price on going the answer yes if you buy enough each time. I said o.k 30 pairs please. So not a black friday deal at all which is why I went for it.

So bristolpete I will not take business advise from you unless I want to go out of business.

To those who have found bargins great for you but it is a symptom of a very broken business model.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    edited November 2016
    Elon Musk, the owner of Tesla, has an interesting view of discounts - that you should never give them (for undamaged, unused, products).
  • cycleclinic
    edited November 2016
    that why Elon musk is rich. He has sense. if you product is good enough it does not need discounting. If you manage the supply properly you dont have to discount. Big discounts is a sign someone has got it wrong somewhere along the line.

I define discounting as selling below cost as RRP's are made up anyway. Any other price is what i call the real retail price.

If people priced there time the time spent hunting out deals it would mean they have not found a deal.
  • Yeah - I don't disagree with his logic - it makes perfect sense. There are some things people would never buy without a discount: TV, sofa, electric toothbrush and Shimano parts, to name a few - because they are always discounted. The only thing that changes is how much.
  • cycleclinic
    edited November 2016
    No they are not discounted that the point they are at the real retail price which varies depending on how much supply there is into the market and how much demand there is. the recommended retail price is inflated and not real to give you the illusion of a discount.

It is all a con but people dont see it.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    No they are not discounted that the point they are at the real retail price which varies depending on how much supply there is into the market and how much demand there is. the recommended retail price is inflated and not real to give you the illusion of a discount.

People do see it, that's why they don't purchase at RRP.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    This is pretty good, TCR Advanced SL Team frameset for £1110
    https://www.mantel.com/uk/giant-tcr-advanced-sl-giant-alpecin-team
  • cycleclinic
    you miss the point things sell at real retail price not at recommend retail price. Both are RRP one is real one is not. Sometimes the two are the same but that is exception rather than the rule. When you buy at a discount you are buying at the products actual worth due to over supply. In other words resources are being wasted making to much product which is then sold cheap. We use it then throw it away and not care because it is cheap. We live in a polluted world for a good reason.
  • cycleclinic
    That giant is probably being sold at its actual worth so not a bargin after all. See my point.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    But TCR Advanced SL framesets don't often sell for that little, so it is pretty cheap for Giant's top non aero frame. Of course, it is bound to sell cheaper as the team logo Alpecin branding (1) makes it look worse and (2) is a potentially a bit out of date in 2017 with sunweb coming on board too. The Shimano logo is the real nasty bit though ;)
  • mfin wrote:
    This is pretty good, TCR Advanced SL Team frameset for £1110
    https://www.mantel.com/uk/giant-tcr-advanced-sl-giant-alpecin-team

Its a good deal, guess you'd be a bit miffed if you paid full price for one though
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • No they are not discounted that the point they are at the real retail price which varies depending on how much supply there is into the market and how much demand there is. the recommended retail price is inflated and not real to give you the illusion of a discount.

I'm familiar with the games that are played. The problem is that it distorts the market and creates complexity in the supply chain. For instance I used to work for a packaging company that supplied (empty) toothpaste tubes to all of the big players. Because there are ALWAYS promotions on toothpaste and because you don't use more toothpaste if it's cheap, the supply chain had loads of peaks and troughs in it depending upon what product was being promoted.
  • Elon Musk, the owner of Tesla, has an interesting view of discounts - that you should never give them (for undamaged, unused, products).

Not the only one... in the cycling world, it is damn hard to get more than 10% off Hope products and that includes old products on clearance. I've been looking for a set of hubs for ages, but no way to get them for less than 170-180 a pair.

Hard to get discounts on Assos stuff too... including obsolete products via their outlet... jackets which are 5 years old still retail at 80-90% of the original price.
    left the forum March 2023
  • You're probably right about Hope. With Assos, you just have to lurk and buy when cheap. I notice that some site don't (are not allowed to?) show how much they've discounted Assos products. There's no doubt that they control prices carefully though.

In some ways it makes life easier for the consumer - you know exactly what you're going to need to pay if you want the product. When companies discount, you hold off buying for the opportunity when the deal comes.
  • You're probably right about Hope. With Assos, you just have to lurk and buy when cheap. I notice that some site don't (are not allowed to?) show how much they've discounted Assos products. There's no doubt that they control prices carefully though.

In some ways it makes life easier for the consumer - you know exactly what you're going to need to pay if you want the product. When companies discount, you hold off buying for the opportunity when the deal comes.

I don't like big discounts/sales... you end up spending more than you would in the absence of discounts, buying stuff you don't need that you probably won't use. You just have to look at the amount of stuff flogged as near new or new in the classifieds section... that surely is all stuff that was purchased as an impulse buy.

It's very unlikely that the stuff you want comes on offer at the time you need it... it's more a case of stocking up on things you think you might need (or want)
    left the forum March 2023

I don't like big discounts/sales... you end up spending more than you would in the absence of discounts, buying stuff you don't need that you probably won't use. You just have to look at the amount of stuff flogged as near new or new in the classifieds section... that surely is all stuff that was purchased as an impulse buy.

It's very unlikely that the stuff you want comes on offer at the time you need it... it's more a case of stocking up on things you think you might need (or want)

I do agree in the main. But there's other things I need that I specifically wait for in the sales. Not bike related but I'm waiting for the January sales to by a new tumble dryer for example. you could argue that in any sale or you are only paying somethings true value at that time, but the lower that is the better!
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Because I'm so damn cool, I keep a google sheet of things I need and the best price. When something like this comes along I'll buy the things that are genuinely at their lowest price. Tends to stop me buying stuff.. just because.

On topic, Protone for £117, shame I don't need..
    https://www.mantel.com/uk/kask-protone?spec[]=245&r=L3VrL2JsYWNrZnJpZGF5I3N0YXJ0MTk=
  • grahamcp
    grahamcp Posts: 323
    iPete wrote:
    Exposure Strada 800, £163 with code new5
    http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Exposu ... Light/EBAM

I got the Strada 1200 from Evans for about £192 which I thought was a decent deal - especially as I'd initially paid £222 - they agreed to refund the difference.
  • Not Black Friday - Canyon 24hr Xmas deals

Mavic Cosmic Elite Wheelset £131

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/accessorie ... c77e0a8931