Durable tyres advice

2»

Comments

• robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    well it is IRC tubeless for me. 4000km and the front does not even look worn. That by the way is a record for me never had a road race tyre last even half that. Rear is doing fine as well.

Wow, you are super hard on tyres!

I am currently running a Mavic Yksion pro front tyre which by most accounts on this forum are judged to be crap, yet it has lasted for 19,000 km of all year round use and still is in reasonable condition. I'll take it to 20,000 km and retire it just to be on the safe side. probably could do another year on it to be honest.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    It is not wear that normally gets tyres it is holes. These are the only race tyres I have used that I have not trashed on flint and the gravel that litter the roads. I dont ride on clean roads. I use alot of narrow country lanes.

I normally get 20 to 1500 miles from a tubed tyre and some other brands of tubeless tyres before something catothropic happens to them. The worst was a set of Conti GP4's they lasted 20 miles before they both got badly holed within 1/2 mile of each other. So durable for me means it has to be able not to hole in a way that means I have to bin it.

got less than 1000 miles for a conti gator hardshell before something got the sidewall and tore right through it.

Never got 19000km for a rim brake rim either. So if you used the tyres I used robbo you might get 40,000km from them.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    My first day on Gatorskin hardshells ... pitch black, hammering with rain, journey of potholes, Bristol road debris, wet leaves and cobbles.

I freaking love these tyres .... the reviews are good on them, with the odd person claiming they don't grip and it feels like you are riding on wooden wheels.

errrr .. perhaps they are the 23c or something the 32c are far more comfortable than what I was on before, they roll faster, I had no grip issues at all and we are talking wet leaves, piles of leaves, cobbles and giant white lines separating bus lanes ..... and most importantly the cobbles were actually comfortable.

Now I am not claiming they have as much grip as my 4000's .. but then I would never have and never have ridden the road bike in this weather unless my commuter broke, so I cant compare gripness between the 4000's and the hardshells.

But based on todays ride, I would happily commit to running these all year around on my commuter .... time of course will tell !!!!
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I've been rolling round on Michelin Pro4 Endurance since last year only issue I've had was a chunk of glass that killed one of the tyres, done plenty of sketchy gravel patches on them and a couple of bridleways without issue though.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I would recommend Vittoria Rubino Tech 28s for winter riding. Seem reasonably light and roll quite fast. Grip is decent and they are fairly puncture resistant. They are also cheap as chips if you look around. I have a pair of Duranos in the shed that I haven't needed yet so can't comment on them but they seem to be well received. GP 4 Seasons seem pricey for a winter tyre and in my experience not very durable either.
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Conti GP Four Seasons 25c for me. There are some great deals on them floating around at the moment too.
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    There's a difference in my experience between what is a durable tyre for winter training use and what is a durable tyre for winter use which includes daily commuting into the big city. Winter training rides heading out of town for rural roads find me on Rubino Pros or Conti Grand Prix or even light 320tpi summer tyres if roads are dry and they rarely puncture or suffer cuts.

Commuting on the other hand is a different story-Rubino Pros still ok when newish but after a few months they start to collect hundreds (no exaggeration ) of small cuts all over them and start to puncture every couple of weeks, which is tedious on a dark, wet ride to or from work. So for commuting since September I now use Panaracer Ribmo folding in 25mm.Only a few tiny cuts and so far so good. Feel like hosepipes tho'.
  • stefano
    stefano Posts: 254
    Alex99 wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    Schwalbe Durano Plus 25mm

Bingo!

Double Bingo!

Lots of bingo! Also they come in size 23!!
    I commute with Durano Plus 23, I ride 42k every day in all weather conditions. No punctures in 3 years (real weight about 400gr).
    If you would like to go one size up, then the ultimate no-punctures tyre would be Schwalbe Marathon Plus 25 (real weight close to 700gr).
  • ZMC888
    ZMC888 Posts: 292
    Why run the same tyre front and rear?
    90% of my punctures happen on the rear, so run a light fast grippy tire like a GP400 on the front and a Gatorskin or a four season on back.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    stefano wrote:
    Alex99 wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    Schwalbe Durano Plus 25mm

Bingo!

Double Bingo!

Lots of bingo! Also they come in size 23!!
    I commute with Durano Plus 23, I ride 42k every day in all weather conditions. No punctures in 3 years (real weight about 400gr).
    If you would like to go one size up, then the ultimate no-punctures tyre would be Schwalbe Marathon Plus 25 (real weight close to 700gr).

Thought I'd punctured a Durano + yesterday. It was a loose valve leaking overnight. Whew.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Rubino pro 3 on the rear, open pave on the front.

Best of both worlds plush grippy front tyre, hard wearing more durable cheaper rear tyre.
  • Pro 4 Endurance