Durable tyres advice

Mossd88
Mossd88 Posts: 7
edited December 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi I've been looking for some new tyres (700x23) as I've had the tyres on my bike since I bought it and it's in need of some new ones(punctures becoming too regular).
I've never bought tyres so I'm new to the scene but from what I've seen continental gatorskins seem to be a favourite but I was looking for something a bit cheaper. Any advice :)

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    Michelin Lithion2
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    mich pro 4 endurance.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    GP400S but go up to 25mm if you can.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    DONT GET Vitoria Zaffiros ..... just pulled the 3rd bit of glass out of another punctured tyre.
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    fat daddy wrote:
    DONT GET Vitoria Zaffiros ..... just pulled the 3rd bit of glass out of another punctured tyre.

+1, cycling buddy used these for a while, spent more time sitting on wet grass fixing punctures than riding. Seemed ok ish in the dry.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • Schwalbe Durano Plus 25mm
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Schwalbe Durano Plus 25mm

Bingo!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Daniel B wrote:
    Schwalbe Durano Plus 25mm

Bingo!

Double Bingo!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Durano plus raceguard from me too
  • ben-----
    ben----- Posts: 573
    > Schwalbe Durano Plus 25mm

That's what I was going to recommend but then didn't because of "… continental gatorskins seem to be a favourite but I was looking for something a bit cheaper" - they're about the same price, at a quick glance.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Buy cheap...buy twice ;)

Seriously though, when it comes to that tiny contact patch keeping me on the road at up to 50mph (steep descents around here) I'm happy to invest in quality tyres. My personal winter faves are Conti GP4S's........
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    fat daddy wrote:

If you keep riding through broken glass I don't really think you can blame the tyres......
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • fat daddy
    Svetty wrote:

If you keep riding through broken glass I don't really think you can blame the tyres......

if you can see a 2mm square bit of glass on a dark wet main road whilst doing 20+ mph then you may have a point ..... personally I would expect not to see it .. and if I did hit it, not to be punctured by such a small object
  • Lithion 2 is cheap but I've had very few punctures, and they roll reasonably well. Gatorskin has pretty low weight and pretty good rolling in proportion to puncture resistance, but they're rock hard and grip isn't as good as other options. Personally for commuting, I'm happy to put up with that, but when I put my road bike back together in January, I'll be using GP4000s.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Schwalbe Marathon Plus Smartguard, but expect them to be an absolute b****** to fit.

25C is the smallest size, but is a better option than 23C in any case IMHO.
  • fat daddy
    SheffSimon wrote:
    Schwalbe Marathon Plus Smartguard, .

I was very tempted to buy these this week, 5mm of rubber alone would have stopped 3 of my punctures ..... but then I saw the weight of them

Puncture resistance vs SCR ... grrrrrrrr, hard choice
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    fat daddy wrote:
    SheffSimon wrote:

I was very tempted to buy these this week, 5mm of rubber alone would have stopped 3 of my punctures ..... but then I saw the weight of them

That's where the Durano Pluses excel imho, they have a good layer of protection, but seem to still roll well at reasonable pressures.

I've even managed to fit some of mine without any tyre levers, and I am sh1t at fitting tyres.
    I put the typre 90% of the way onto a wheel, and leave it like that for 24\48 hours, and that seems to help - I then put the tyre on with the assistance from some toe straps to try and hold the tyre in place - which works up to a point.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Daniel B wrote:
    fat daddy wrote:
    SheffSimon wrote:

That's where the Durano Pluses excel imho, they have a good layer of protection, but seem to still roll well at reasonable pressures.

I've even managed to fit some of mine without any tyre levers, and I am sh1t at fitting tyres.
    I put the typre 90% of the way onto a wheel, and leave it like that for 24\48 hours, and that seems to help - I then put the tyre on with the assistance from some toe straps to try and hold the tyre in place - which works up to a point.

This. Durano plus are fine to fit and have a similar protection layer to the Marathon, but in a more reasonable road tyre package. They grip well, roll OK for what they are, but you wouldn't race on them. They're not for that. They are very different tyre to the GP4s. Durability and puncture protection is top of the list, rather than being a beefed up racing tyre. That is why the 25 mm version weighs nearly 400 grams. If puncture protection and durabiity is your priority, honestly, look no further.
  • GP four seasons here for the winter, GP 4000's for the summer.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Michelin Pro4 SC or Endurance.

I've been using the SC on the racer (25c) all year; commuting and racing. Strava says the front tyre is on 9,500 miles, whilst the rear was replaced after 5,500.
  • sheffsimon
    fat daddy wrote:
    SheffSimon wrote:

200g difference....I can p*** more than that.
  • fat daddy
    SheffSimon wrote:

you must be on the 25's

I run 32c on my commuter due to road surfaces and the weight I can carry sometimes

My current tires are 210g each ... the Marathons are 900g each !!! ..... that's 1.4 kg increase in mass .. rotating outside the rim ... unless you are dawdling around on the flat, that is a noticeable weight increase

infact its fecking massive when it comes to accelerating away from lights and sudden ramps in climbing

imagine the performance increase your bike would obtain if you suddenly went and bought wheels that were 1.4kg lighter ... hell on my road bike the wheels and tyres dont even weight that much
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Another vote for the Schwable Durano's, however as an alternative I would recommend the LifeLine Prime Armour tyres from Wiggle, they are their own brand and fairly cheap. I bought a pair to test a while back and have been suitably impressed buy how they ride and the fact I have not been visited by the puncture fairy since.

These are them, I bought 25mm so it would be a little more comfortable than 23's:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-prime- ... road-tyre/
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • sheffsimon
    fat daddy wrote:
    SheffSimon wrote:

you must be on the 25's

I run 32c on my commuter due to road surfaces and the weight I can carry sometimes

My current tires are 210g each ... the Marathons are 900g each !!! ..... that's 1.4 kg increase in mass .. rotating outside the rim ... unless you are dawdling around on the flat, that is a noticeable weight increase

infact its ******* massive when it comes to accelerating away from lights and sudden ramps in climbing

imagine the performance increase your bike would obtain if you suddenly went and bought wheels that were 1.4kg lighter ... hell on my road bike the wheels and tyres dont even weight that much

25's yes. The Marathons are 810g, what are you riding thats 32C and 210g?

I don't dawdle, I changed from summer tyres to the Marathons for winter, not noticed them much, not enough to care. But it's winter, the whole rotating mass thing is questionable, and I don't think 1.4kg is such a big increase in percentage terms compared to bike and body weight. My main aim is not to puncture on the commute, and not hold my training mates up in the p****** rain whilst I fix a puncture.

Top and bottom of it is if the difference between beating somebody away from the lights or not is your tyres, then train harder IMHO.
  • fat daddy
    a rigid vittoria zaffiro ... it probably didn't start off that weight, but that's the current weight on my coffee scales .. BUT, I have just pulled a less than 2mm shard of class out the centre of the rubber that punctured through to the inner tube ... there is nothing to them, I don't believe they have any form of protection in them and the rubber is less then 2mm thick
  • I used to switch from regular Durano or Durano S (or going back a bit, Stelvio) to Marathon plus for the winter. One year I didn't bother doing it in November, and kept procrastinating till it was March. Didn't suffer any more punctures as a result.

It was never the weight difference I noticed with Marathons, it was the ride feel. All the comfort of a brick, right down into pinch-vulnerable pressures, which negated all the protection they offered from conventional punctures.

Tubeless is where it's at now for puncture protection.
  • fat daddy wrote:

Recently tried some Vittoria's something or others they are quite possibly the worst tyres I have used and are ripped to shreds after about 10 rides...utter crap.
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • beak58
    beak58 Posts: 142
    I have the specialized all condition armadillo on my winter bike. They have done over 3000 miles and I've had one puncture which was a bit of twig. Way slower than the GP4000 I have on summer bike but can still clip along at a decent speed even with my fat backside on board.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    well it is IRC tubeless for me. 4000km and the front does not even look worn. That by the way is a record for me never had a road race tyre last even half that. Rear is doing fine as well.

The only tyre mentioned above that seems to work for the various riders I know is the schwable durano plus. All the others I have found to be useless. GP$'s holed way to often when I used them. Other find them fine but that has more to do with the road they ride on. Flint kills them quickly.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 632
    My friend and I have used Schwalbe Durano 25s (not Durano plus) for the last few years doing 6000 miles per year.
    The tyres last about 5000 miles, are reasonably priced at around £21 each, seem pretty grippy and don't puncture often.