Winter Willy Waving

jgsi
jgsi Posts: 5,062
edited November 2016 in Road general
"I'm still in shorts"
"I am on 200 mile per week" (oops guilty)
"I cant ride on a turbo" various reasons - short attention span being one of them

quite a number of annoying sh!t cyclist says when it comes to this season of fun and joy.

Comments

• "how can I maintain fitness over winter"
    "miles this time of year are worth double"
    "what do i need to make Zwift work"
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    "Everyone puts on a bit of weight over winter, don't they?"
    "The winter bike and all the extra clothing always shaves a good couple of mph off my average speed."
    "If I keep getting the base miles in everything will fall into place in the spring."

Heard all of these this morning. That last one might actually be true.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Crescent wrote:
    "Everyone puts on a bit of weight over winter, don't they?"
    "The winter bike and all the extra clothing always shaves a good couple of mph off my average speed."
    "If I keep getting the base miles in everything will fall into place in the spring."

Heard all of these this morning. That last one might actually be true.

Depends what their goals are
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    In the present conditions I haven't got a lot to wave.
  • You're brave.
    I'm jealous.
    Poor you.
    Keep training.
    Really?
    Google it.
    Yes I reckon many do.
    Quite possibly.
    So I've heard.

What's the point of this elitist thread?
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Eebijeebi wrote:
    What's the point of this elitist thread?

I think it was a test to see who's had a sense of humour failure / totally missed the point...
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I have missed the point ..... totally !

I thought I understood the 1st post .... its things people say in the winter to make there willies seem bigger than other peoples .. "yeah, I am badass I ride 200miles a week in the winter"

subsequent posts though went right over my head ...... ie how to make zwift work, and how to maintain fitness and getting fat ???? ... I don't get how that's willy waving ?
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    MrB123 wrote:
    In the present conditions I haven't got a lot to wave.

Brisk northley wind?

End of the day people will do what they want.

I still don't get the people that say turbos are boring, then spend an hour on a treadmill staring at a wall.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    "Did you cycle in this morning?"
  • fat daddy
    bompington wrote:

I did ..... and I also used zwift for an hour .. and both were done in the hours of darkness .... and I didn't eat breakfast until gone 9am and I wiped my arse with sandpaper

I guess I naturally have the biggest Willy
  • fat daddy wrote:
    bompington wrote:

I did ..... and I also used zwift for an hour .. and both were done in the hours of darkness .... and I didn't eat breakfast until gone 9am and I wiped my ars* with sandpaper

I guess I naturally have the biggest Willy

Did you miss out on the Lezyne lights deal on CRC?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    bompington wrote:
    OK, too oblique for some.

I was referring to the inevitable greeting as I arrive in work wearing tights, cycling shoes, overshoes, 2 base layers, cycling jacket, gloves, buff, skull cap and helmet; dripping rain, sleet, snow, mud and grit; and wheeling a bike.
  • fat daddy
    bompington wrote:
    I was referring to the inevitable greeting as I arrive in work wearing tights, cycling shoes, overshoes, 2 base layers, cycling jacket, gloves, buff, skull cap and helmet; dripping rain, sleet, snow, mud and grit; and wheeling a bike.

oddly enough, there is still a reason to ask.

At my last place of work there was a very large man, who really got in to talking about his cycling, I say "talking" because as I could tell he didn't actually seem to do any riding

Sure he justified eating 3 tonnes of pasta and chocolate bars because he was going for a ride that evening and needed to carb load at 12:00

and he often wore a tight lycra cycling top, with jeans around the office ... and was forever ordering aero accessories fo his bike, despite being the shape of a large ball

and one day he turned up to the office wearing bib-tights, Jersey, aero helmet, glasses, gloves, knee length compression socks, cleated shoes.

Still not changed after 30 minutes someone came in and said in a confused voice "Errrr Gareth, isn't that your car in the car park"

the answer, "yes, I was about to ride in, but it was windy, so took the car"
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    edited November 2016
    I know one of those. He doesn't talk anything but cycling, go round to the house he's got magazines strewn everywhere just in case you missed that he's into cycling. Has the deep profile carbon wheels that weight less than that bit of cake your eating, hrm, cadence sensor etc and every time I see him is considering a power meter. Apparently his paunch is down to position on the bike.

800 miles a year on strava and won't go out if it's too warm, too cold, wet, windy, suns too low etc.

There was also someone my wife worked with who would get the bus to work with a motobike helmet so he could pretend he rides a bike. A new girl got the same bus as him for a week without him noticing before he tried hitting on her going in hard about his Ducati. Poor bugger had his ar$e drop out in front of the whole department.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,681
    It's more difficult to bump into people you know and guilt them into spending time with you in the winter than it is the summer, so I tend to ride more in the winter. Shame really, as I don't like it anywhere near as much.
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    It never ceases to amaze me when I am winter commuting, when here I am in winter socks, overshoes, thermal leg warmers, gloves, skull hat etc and someone passes the other way no gloves, knees uncovered and red raw. I doubt that is willy waving, but us seasoned riders laugh longer and have the experience of layers etc, but sometimes the other stuff out there confounds me. It must bloody hurt and simply make it less 'fun'.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    This time of year I certainly don't have anything large enough to wave. It's a constant struggle to get kit choice just right. Last week it was baltic so out came the roubaix tights and windstopper softshell, fleecy buff and windstopper cap with earflaps. Then on Friday the same combo was way too hot; after 3 miles I had to to whip the sleeves off the jacket and pocket the hat and buff. Hands were also too hot in winter gloves but too cold without. Hat went back on after another 5 miles as ears were freezing. Then yesterday I got it about right; thinner tights, defeet dura gloves, no hat but the winter liner for the helmet, standard buff. Not seeing any other cyclists with legs on display now; all in tights or leg warmers...
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I saw several yesterday. I think they were taking part in a sportive, so I guess they thought shorts were OK as they were racing :roll:
  • bristolpete
    Sods law.

Went out at 9. Super sunny, calm and still here in Devon. No overshoes, no neck buff, just base layer, top and a gilet. Did 2000 feet up in 30 miles and at about 1500 feet I started to overheat so popped the gloves in the back pocket. Over the top, coming down the other side a 4 x 4 narrowed the road. Neither going fast, but my back wheel locked up, skidded and I went over into a hedge, sliced my right hand to pieces and left arm literally covered in stinging nettle rash. Both STI's scuffed to buggery and bars bent round and touched tarmac but I cannot work out how. But all fine once put right though gutted about the shifters. A real visual letdown. Hand washed and TCP applied - crazy that just 30 seconds before I took my gloves off. Bloody weather. Driver was helpful, usual can I help - take you to A&E - naturally I was more concerned with the bike :-(
  • Sods law.

Went out at 9. Super sunny, calm and still here in Devon. No overshoes, no neck buff, just base layer, top and a gilet. Did 2000 feet up in 30 miles and at about 1500 feet I started to overheat so popped the gloves in the back pocket. Over the top, coming down the other side a 4 x 4 narrowed the road. Neither going fast, but my back wheel locked up, skidded and I went over into a hedge, sliced my right hand to pieces and left arm literally covered in stinging nettle rash. Both STI's scuffed to buggery and bars bent round and touched tarmac but I cannot work out how. But all fine once put right though gutted about the shifters. A real visual letdown. Hand washed and TCP applied - crazy that just 30 seconds before I took my gloves off. Bloody weather. Driver was helpful, usual can I help - take you to A&E - naturally I was more concerned with the bike :-(

Lucky you didn't rip your gloves
  • bristolpete
    Sods law.

Lucky you didn't rip your gloves

I know, strange though as stayed on the bike and clipped in on right foot. The bike did not hit the deck, but it seems the bars went 360 and the tops of the shifters were scuffed. Winter bike and all that so no big deal, but will source two new tops as 6800 is modular and screw off. Thankfully the gloves live on.
  • It never ceases to amaze me when I am winter commuting, when here I am in winter socks, overshoes, thermal leg warmers, gloves, skull hat etc and someone passes the other way no gloves, knees uncovered and red raw. I doubt that is willy waving, but us seasoned riders laugh longer and have the experience of layers etc, but sometimes the other stuff out there confounds me. It must bloody hurt and simply make it less 'fun'.

Does it not just occur to you that that's what people are comfortable in?

I wear less than most people I see riding around but I don't expect to see anybody on my rides (least of all when I was commuting in the Highlands) so any assertions of "willy waving" are nonsense - in fact, they mistake me for someone that gives a sh!t what people think. After all, I'm a middle-aged bloke in Lycra on a bike - in some ways I can't look much more ridiculous. I wear what I wear to be comfortable - if that's less (or more) than the next guy, why does it matter?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    I doubt that any members on here will worry Sir Bradley with their winter training.

Personally if you live in the U.K. and you love to ride your bike you need to love the wind and the rain.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • bristolpete
    It never ceases to amaze me when I am winter commuting, when here I am in winter socks, overshoes, thermal leg warmers, gloves, skull hat etc and someone passes the other way no gloves, knees uncovered and red raw. I doubt that is willy waving, but us seasoned riders laugh longer and have the experience of layers etc, but sometimes the other stuff out there confounds me. It must bloody hurt and simply make it less 'fun'.

Does it not just occur to you that that's what people are comfortable in?

I wear less than most people I see riding around but I don't expect to see anybody on my rides (least of all when I was commuting in the Highlands) so any assertions of "willy waving" are nonsense - in fact, they mistake me for someone that gives a sh!t what people think. After all, I'm a middle-aged bloke in Lycra on a bike - in some ways I can't look much more ridiculous. I wear what I wear to be comfortable - if that's less (or more) than the next guy, why does it matter?

Not being critical, just an observation. I concur.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I did this evenings chaingang in a windproof base layer, shorts and just a t shirt. I was absolutely beading by the end! Loving 15 deg in November.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    DSCF6009_zpsc0d7a773.jpg?1479255497838&1479255509687
    basically training in derbyshire is great in winter because the roads just shut to cars. The only problem is the water bottle freezes unless you put extra creatine and carbs in it, and my banana goes rock hard.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    priory wrote:
    DSCF6009_zpsc0d7a773.jpg?1479255497838&1479255509687
    basically training in derbyshire is great in winter because the roads just shut to cars. The only problem is the water bottle freezes unless you put extra creatine and carbs in it, and my banana goes rock hard.

Nobody wants a frozen banana!
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    "My banana goes rock hard"

Is that a euphemism or am I being childish?
  • bristolpete
    Yeah, but by the time you get home with the Mrs. waiting at the top of the stairs, it has no doubt thawed out :-)
  • priory wrote:
    The only problem is the water bottle freezes unless you put extra creatine and carbs in it,

Or hot water