How does this work? Damages

13»

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It was better in the good old days, before the police had any more than a laser speed gun.
    Back then I used to have motorbikes and always had illegally tiny number plates. Several times I went past a traffic cop with a laser in a lay-by. I could just nail it knowing that they'd never be able to catch up.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    When I was a young hooligan in South Africa they used a pair of hose things across the road. If you were quick you could lock the back wheel and slice them in half.
    But as the cops all had guns, you didn't want to p1ss them off too much.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • doomanic
    doomanic Posts: 238
    My first ever ticket was for 55 in a 30 in the back wheel. I was on my way to school...

It was the first of many, the worst being 112.7 in a 60. The most annoying was 89 on an empty dual carriageway in Wales in perfect conditions.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I recently hit a little over 150mph on a deserted m3 early one Sunday morning. Shortly after I slowed to 80mph I saw a cop car come flying up behind, blue lights flashing. I thought that was it, I was thinking I would be on my way to prison. I slowed and started to pull over and the police car just went screaming past.
    It took another six hours for my sphincter to relax.
    I'm far too pretty for prison.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The M45 is the place to try your top speed, it's in Warwickshire but doesn't link to any other Mway in Warwickshire, the result is no cops.

I think the fastest I've been on it is 145.

Had the cruise control set to 100 the other day with occasionally forays upto 120 - on the A2 (the one that heads to Berlin, not London).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I want to try a top speed run! My car, as standard was putting out 240bhp and was limited to 155mph. Now it's putting out 307bhp and has no speed limiter. A rough calculation suggests 165 - 168mph might be possible.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Am I the only one who's a little uncomfortable with the nature of the previous few posts? I'm not trying to be holier than thou, but the sorts of speed being discussed on public roads I find a little distasteful.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • It is also against the forum rules to encourage conduct that would amount to a criminal offence.

Please do not continue to discuss the above topics any further.
    BikeRadar Communities Manager
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Given the nationwide shortage of organs for transplant, shouldn't we be encouraging it?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Obviously I'd only do it on a runway or Autobahn.
  • doomanic
    doomanic Posts: 238
    And all the ones I mentioned ended up with convictions.

Technically speaking, speeding isn't a criminal offence anyway...
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    M'lud, I think technically speeding is a criminal offence. However, payment of a fixed penalty notice isn't a conviction, so if you pay the FPN you are not convicted of the crime.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • rockmonkeysc
    Serious speed can result in a prison sentence. Although killing people by driving dangerously might not.
  • The Rookie
    doomanic wrote:
    And all the ones I mentioned ended up with convictions.

Technically speaking, speeding isn't a criminal offence anyway...
    Really? What sort of an offence is it then?

(It is a criminal offence by the way).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'm not that bothered about what kind of offence speeding is - but doing the speeds mentioned on public roads is bloody stupid.

Go do a track day and do it there were the only risk is to you or other people signed up to it. Not the public.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Well you sound like a fun sort of person.
  • The Rookie
    The speeds mentioned on public roads - autobahns are public roads, as for that matter is the Nurburgring, those speeds are very common and completely legal on both - it's all a matter of perception.