Maltodextrin in sports supplements

Velorider
Velorider Posts: 3
It seems that most energy drink powders and gels contain maltodextrin. I've done a bit a research and can see that maltodextrin is made from natural ingredients however is highly processed. One study has shown that 'it can change gut bacteria composition and suppress the growth of probiotics in your digestive system'

I use energy drinks mainly for longer and tougher rides as it feels like they help.

Not so keen after researching maltodextrin and just wondered if anyone else is concerned about potential health side effects of taking it?

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554
    not worried in the slightest

every carbohydrate has "potential health side effects"
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    depends on how much you are drinking to be fair.

If you are working out everyday and drinking it everyday, you might get issues. ...... But use it sensibly and only on the harder, longer rides where you "NEED" the calorie boost quickly and it wornt harm you IMO.
  • sungod wrote:
    not worried in the slightest

every carbohydrate has "potential health side effects"

Everything you ingest has potential health implications. Drink 4 litres of water per day no problem. Drink 40: problem.

Everything in moderation.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554
    exactly

first time poster with a 'will this supplement kill me' post, hmm, a cynical person (i.e. me) might suspect a set up for yet anothersoddingpointlessthreadonsportsdrinksorproteinorsupplements, but maybe i'm wrong

either way, no more to be said on the subject :)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • I died from taking too much maltodextrin.

I got better though.
  • Which research papers?
    I do science, sometimes.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    well, the orthodontics,maxfax and restorative dentistry nurse who did a lunchtime presentation at the hospital about sports nutrition as she is a keen tri, gave it a VERY bad rap... you make up your own choices though in life.
    She had no axe to grind, just information.