tuesday, a porky prime cut

sungod
sungod Posts: 16,529
edited November 2016 in The bottom bracket
'ning

gym, webex, cafe, wfh again

checked in for tomorrow's flight, bagged 3d, hurrah, saves a bit of time in the race to passport control

one more day and, with luck, won't have to put up with seeing trump's face on the news every other minute looking like some spiteful and somewhat rotten pumpkin, though he'll probably keep on whining long after
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,474
    Keep your fingers crossed and hope there aren't too many shy Trump voters...

On the early train (which is now running late) on account of a video call with the Kingdom of Far Far Away. Next time they can stay late if they want me to help them.

New minions are now on board so work starting fo return to normal.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,401
    Morning all.

Nearly at full winter capacity clobber this morning, just another pair of gloves and socks to go for the lower temperatures. A day of work avoidance, protein and press ups planned today.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,298
    Working from home again today, crazy neighbour is screaming at the kids so I've had to turn the radio up. Looks nice and sunny out, but decidedly frosty. Got to go into the office tomorrow morning to upset my colleagues. Need to pick up a set of LED strips to go under the kitchen cabinets whilst I'm out. What an exciting life I lead.
    I suspect Trump won't be crawling under a rock after the election. As Stevo says I worry there may be a few shy Trump voters coming out of the woodwork.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    'kin cold!

God, i hate winter, axial tilt should be abolished :)

It's bloody freezing at work, if the safety officer could get his aris in gear to get here at a the same time as everyone else, I'd call him to come and check out this bit of the building! I'm sitting here in a balmy 13 degrees because I have a heater trying to battle the chill, next door it's 9-10, perhaps they'll send us home?

Porky prime cuts? I used to have a vinyl single where the chap who had cut the original disc had scratched that in the bit where the run-out groove was, he'd sort of signed it. It said "Another porky prime cut", in tiny hand-written letters.

The older I get, the better I was.

• haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Morning,

New hound decided to start howling last night after we left him, he stopped after 20 minutes then started at 6:30am. Possible causes, some food left in his bowl so he could be hungry, or he's generally being a needy sod. We have him sleeping in the cold porch because it's the only place with laminate floor until we are sure he's ok, no accidents so I might move him to the kitchen where he's more familiar. I'm in two minds whether to persist so as to let him know who is boss (which would involve dragging him in by his collar and barricading the door, or giving in and letting him sleep where we want him to in time anyway but with no guarantee of him shutting the hell up. Fun fun
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Suggest buying him a cage for the house (and travel) not just when he is bad but does give him a safe space so to speak. Easy to clear up if there is a mess and easy to make warm with blankets etc.

Could be food (what time did he used to be fed?). Or was their light by that point?

I've never really had a problem dog training. The latest pup had one or two accidents, most were the first night. However I do have another dog for her to copy.

Wouldn't bother with the immediate look who is boss as like a child it is also attention. Generally found being physically bigger and able to push out the way with the legs is enough (or when playing to roll them on there back so they are aware they have lost)

Time for work, also need to go buy the Dates birthday present for the weekend and sort out 4 new tyres. Either Goodyear or Bridgestone I think. Can't afford what I want, and nor does my car deserve £460 of tyres when I commute more than I have fun in it currently.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,401
    Capt Slog wrote:
    'kin cold!

God, i hate winter, axial tilt should be abolished :)

It's bloody freezing at work, if the safety officer could get his aris in gear to get here at a the same time as everyone else, I'd call him to come and check out this bit of the building! I'm sitting here in a balmy 13 degrees because I have a heater trying to battle the chill, next door it's 9-10, perhaps they'll send us home?
    I have looked into min and max temps for working in and remember one was a bit more vague than the other. Never known anyone who worked indoors being sent home by their employer because of extreme temperatures. Good luck, we'll use you as an example if you win. "My Honor, I refer you to the case of Capt Slog vs employer, November 2016."
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • haydenm
    Flâneur wrote:
    Suggest buying him a cage for the house (and travel) not just when he is bad but does give him a safe space so to speak. Easy to clear up if there is a mess and easy to make warm with blankets etc.

Could be food (what time did he used to be fed?). Or was their light by that point?

I've never really had a problem dog training. The latest pup had one or two accidents, most were the first night. However I do have another dog for her to copy.

Wouldn't bother with the immediate look who is boss as like a child it is also attention. Generally found being physically bigger and able to push out the way with the legs is enough (or when playing to roll them on there back so they are aware they have lost)

I was hoping to avoid a cage because they are cumbersome and take up space, I'd forever be carrying it from the truck to the house as he comes to work with me every day (which involves a lot of driving but a lot of outside fun). Might be a good idea if he doesn't settle in the next few days though. I don't want him to think that howling will get him what he wants. The breeder said they fed him once a day before bed to 'keep him keen when he is working the next day' but that is when he had the freedom to take a dump in his kennel. We feed him at 7pm but I've decided to split it morning and night from today. Thanks for the help!
  • sungod
    Capt Slog wrote:
    ...Porky prime cuts? I used to have a vinyl single where the chap who had cut the original disc had scratched that in the bit where the run-out groove was, he'd sort of signed it. It said "Another porky prime cut", in tiny hand-written letters.

yep that's it, george peckham used to put it on discs he mastered
  • Cold here too, had to scrape the windscreen and it was 1 degree driving to work.

Working through some projects today then out on site meetings tomorrow.

Have to make the final payment for our skiing holiday too, ouch.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Flâneur
    Possibly start moving the feed earlier and going twice a day (smaller amounts as you can guess).

If it is your truck and not a company one, just get a cage in the back of the flatbed? Friend does this, think it is anchored in rather than fixed but I've never seen him take it out.
    I have a soft cage for the back of the Golf for the puppy leaving the other dog in the boot. but that is to ensure she isn't thrown around etc. However a Golf and a truck are different.
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    In London today, so the day started with a nice ride along the Basingstoke Canal (and a bit of road). THe mist was rising from the canal as the sun warmed it up, sheer bliss. (apart from my Rapha merino gloves which are frankly no different to bare hands)
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Ciao

Day off but fraught with laborious domestic i i between rain showers, so kinda just killing time.

Will fit new tub to wheel for new Cervelo so that's another job done, just saving up for shifters and we're there.

Apart from that not a lot to report I'm afraid

Re dogs: The Hound did that when we first got him (he lives in the utility room at night/when no one is around as it has the boiler and his bed is under a side unit so it's nice and cosy. We used a cage for the first couple of weeks but found we didn't need it.

They're remarkably adaptable so once you get the toilet training done they're not a problem at all.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • haydenm
    Flâneur wrote:
    Possibly start moving the feed earlier and going twice a day (smaller amounts as you can guess).

If it is your truck and not a company one, just get a cage in the back of the flatbed? Friend does this, think it is anchored in rather than fixed but I've never seen him take it out.
    I have a soft cage for the back of the Golf for the puppy leaving the other dog in the boot. but that is to ensure she isn't thrown around etc. However a Golf and a truck are different.

I could attach a cage to the fixing points, it's a company truck but I use it as if it were mine. I guess I'd just have to stop being lazy and take both wheels off the bikes when they go in instead... He seems reasonably settled just curled up in the corner, he's just reluctant to get in but he should get used to it
    Re dogs: The Hound did that when we first got him (he lives in the utility room at night/when no one is around as it has the boiler and his bed is under a side unit so it's nice and cosy. We used a cage for the first couple of weeks but found we didn't need it.

They're remarkably adaptable so once you get the toilet training done they're not a problem at all.

That's encouraging, I'll let the neighbours know! The lady on one side used to train guide dogs (I might have already mentioned that) so I'm sure she will offer some good advice. The porch is cold, dark and less familiar to him so maybe we could move him, not keen on him having free reign of the kitchen though. The porch is convenient however as all the remaining space in our house is taken up with bikes
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    sungod wrote:
    Capt Slog wrote:
    ...Porky prime cuts? I used to have a vinyl single where the chap who had cut the original disc had scratched that in the bit where the run-out groove was, he'd sort of signed it. It said "Another porky prime cut", in tiny hand-written letters.

yep that's it, george peckham used to put it on discs he mastered

Well well. I think I had three discs with something written on them, although only one of them was a 'porky' I think. The only other I can recall said "mange escargot, yum yum yum" :lol:

It was in the days before the internet of course, there was no way to look it up at the time, and I'd forgotten about it since. Cheers for that. :D

The older I get, the better I was.

• sungod
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Well well. I think I had three discs with something written on them, although only one of them was a 'porky' I think. The only other I can recall said "mange escargot, yum yum yum" :lol:

It was in the days before the internet of course, there was no way to look it up at the time, and I'd forgotten about it since. Cheers for that. :D

i found the writing was most common on records on the independent labels like stiff, factory etc., but some bands also seemed to use it for their own messages

just had a look at my neat neat neat single as i knew it had some, it's 'a porky prime cut' on one side and 'this is your captain squeaking' on the other :)

all this has just led me into inevitable googling on the subject, it seems there's a lot of it out there!
  • Stevo_666
    Flâneur wrote:

We have a cage in the car for ours - on the back seat with seatbelt attached to stop it moving about. He seems to settle in that OK even on longer trips. We had a cage in the lounge for him to sleep in but being a sociable breed and a stubborn little git, he decided he wasn't having that and kept us awake rattling it and whining - after a long battle and a fair bit of lost sleep we gave up and let him sleep upstairs and you wouldn't know he's there now. 'Horses for course' though, dogs are all individuals.

Apart from that, another day on the corporate hamster wheel and another day with no bikes involved :(
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Matthewfalle
    I'd definitely get him out of the cold dark unfamiliar porch: would you be happy in there.

Move the bikes in there, get the living creature into the warm. It'll help temperant development and getting used to being around people as well.

Re car carrying: in the trunk, no cages but a metal frame thing between where he is and the back seats. Honda Accord estate is his car, so loads of room for him to stretch out and gaze longingly at hounds of the opposite sex.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Flâneur
    Mate's stag do is the same week I normally go skiing... choices choices. Wher you off to HD?

Only the pup has a cage at ours and that is covered with a blanket at night even if I am still in the room watching television. Her space and not a naughty corner. Her problem is if she is out of the cage she is terrible at resting. Fear of Missing Out. But as said all are individual and the nature/nurture plays a part to.
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • haydenm
    I'd definitely get him out of the cold dark unfamiliar porch: would you be happy in there.

Move the bikes in there, get the living creature into the warm. It'll help temperant development and getting used to being around people as well.

Re car carrying: in the trunk, no cages but a metal frame thing between where he is and the back seats. Honda Accord estate is his car, so loads of room for him to stretch out and gaze longingly at hounds of the opposite sex.

The only problem with that is that he would then have free-reign of the kitchen all night and I'm not sure I trust him. On the plus side we could put him in there half an hour before bed and turn the light off, the door between the kitchen and livingroom has a glass panel so he would still have a bit of light and be able to see/hear us moving about and it shouldn't be too much of a shock when we go upstairs. I need to pick him up some toys but aside from that we will just have to let him howl until he settles then apologise to the neighbours
  • Flâneur wrote:
    Mate's stag do is the same week I normally go skiing... choices choices. Wher you off to HD?

St Anton on the 4th of Feb. 99.9% sure it'll be the only week this year too as we've spent loads on the house, the boy is off on holiday with school and a new arival is due in early March - Not mine I might add.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Great title, got a local farmer to swap mangalitsa chops for beer. Post op check up for the cats, returned gilet to decathlon, hadn't washed properly. Didn't tell them cat had pissed all over it.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    shoot day at work, not improved by the wife calling to say when the plumbers moved the bath, the bottom fell out of the rotted hot water tank - bright side, we now have a swimming pool in the kitchen
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,327
    TLW1 wrote:
    shoot day at work, not improved by the wife calling to say when the plumbers moved the bath, the bottom fell out of the rotted hot water tank - bright side, we now have a swimming pool in the kitchen

You would buy an old Cotton mill and try and live in the thing :roll:

My dog (Spaniel) had a huge dog cushion. He would not settle at night and would not settle on his own. Once we got the thing, that's where he stayed at night or anywhere for that matter but it had to be in my room at night or he would just howl. The other pro (for him) of the dog cushion was that occasionally, he would ruffle it up and try to shag the thing. Randy f*cker.

The only downside was getting your arm shifted by a wet, hairy, whiskery muzzle at 6am 'cos that was ablution time, whatever the weather, whatever the time of year.

He would whine in the car of he saw another dog. I don't think he cared what sex it was - it was simply another dog, fit for sniffing.

Me PPP all day me. No snow but fffff ucking cccccold. Amazing what difference 3 upstairs bedrooms fully insulated make, even though I am a 3rd through. Engineery/welder bloke said he would turn up today to look at the RSJ malarkey... :roll:

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    TLW1 wrote:
    Oops. But you might be able to get a bit of the decorating done on the insurance :)
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    TLW1 wrote:
    Oops. But you might be able to get a bit of the decorating done on the insurance :)

Kitchen was nice in the 80's, so the claim wouldn't cover the excess!
  • Matthewfalle
    Force 8 or something silly kicking in outside. If that carries on then being east next week doesn't seem the awful proposition it seemed to be when the phone call came through ........

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Flâneur wrote:
    If he was a real mate, he'd combine the two for you and have the stag do in Chamonix or similar.

Missed the cutoff for Tuesday. Wasn't much to report anyway.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Stevo_666
    Flâneur wrote:
    If he was a real mate, he'd combine the two for you and have the stag do in Chamonix or similar.
    Good point. I have it on good authority that there's a lap dancing joint in Chamonix :wink:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,327
    Flâneur wrote:

Missed the cutoff for Tuesday. Wasn't much to report anyway.

Haven't you got a bloddy job yet? FFS.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!