Help with wheel rim depth

2»

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Carbon clicher are not that vain o.k but everyone who owns a car with a engine bigger than 1ltr is guilty of vanity dressed up as need. The rims dont wear out as quickly as alloy rims. It was pretty windy today and the wheels i rode on did fine.

My logic is these sort of wheels are all about performance. A 38mm deep rim will be about as aero as the flo30 which is not that much different to the kinlin or other 30mm deep wide rims at low yaw angles. So why spend the extra on the 38mm deep carbon rimmed wheels. At least with 50mm deep wheels there is a small gain. So go with 50mm deep or 30mm ish alloy rims. Anything in between is a waste of money.

If we use the vanity argument then lets all ride skinney lugged steel frames with 36 spoke shallow rimmed wheels with screw on freewheel hubs.

The main reason to buy them is they look good. I do know having tried these wheels in various bikes i own they very comfortable. Laminate materials are very good good at absorbing vibrations. Although tyre choice still makes more of a difference.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.