So who recognises Britain as it is today?

Comments

• andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    edited November 2016
    ukiboy wrote:
    Typical left wing nonsense. You neither know, remember, or care what this once great country used to be. I can enlighten you: Great Britain used to be an AMAZING country!
    Go on, I'll bite (apologies if I've missed the irony) - what don't we 'know, remember or care' about this country that once made us AMAZING? (but apparently isn't anymore)
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,795
    Ukiboy. What specifically is "unpatriotic" about multiculturalism?

And be specific. I sense, you're using multiculturalism as a more palatable vehicle for "non-white" but let's hear you try to defend it first before I call you out for being a bigot.
  • ukiboy wrote:
    Typical left wing nonsense. You neither know, remember, or care what this once great country used to be. I can enlighten you: Great Britain used to be an AMAZING country!

As somebody else has pointed out these things are relative so if you lived through post-war austerity then the 60's must have seemed like utopia. That would also make you 80 years old and so would explain the objections to a multi-cultural society.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    ukiboy wrote:

Think you need to take the rose-tinted specs off mate.
  • ukiboy
    ukiboy Posts: 891
    Ok Rick.. My home town was a beautiful place. A typical English historical town.
    Very rich in industrial heritage - Royal Small Arms Factory was based there, (Lee Enfield Rifle, Sten gun etc), the first place in the world that had a cash point (Barclays Bank in Enfield Town), Thorn Emi, Belling, Ford Motor Company..
    Enfield has had a fantastic industrial heritage.
    And then in 1997 New Labour completely changed the scene.
    Enfield now is unrecognisable. It is now full of benefit claiming diverse and indifferent folk who have no affinity to Enfield, London or the UK.
    This is the problem.
    Greater London is now unrecognisable to that in which I grew up in..
    Outside the rat race and proud of it
  • ukiboy
    And Rick - I want to challenge you on the 'non white' thing! I have mates who are black and we all moan about the same things.. It's not a black vs white thing...
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2016
    OK let me make sure I understand you.

You're saying that Enfield was involved in manufacturing and that that has gone.

I'd suggest that's a function of economics not multiculturalism. In fact, in what way has multiculturalism have to do with heavy industry industrial decline at all?!??!

Enfield is now full of people claiming benefits? I'd suggest that a) that's an exaggeration (though feel free to give me stats to suggest otherwise), and b) if it is worse than the rest of the UK, again, that's a function of the industrial decline described above. Again, what does that have to do with multiculturalism? Surely that's again, a function of global economics; it's cheaper to do it outside of the UK, 'cos Brits earn too much.

What do you mean by 'benefit claiming diverse and indifferent folk'? What do you mean by diverse? do you mean not British?
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    ukiboy wrote:
    Enfield now is unrecognisable. It is now full of benefit claiming diverse and indifferent folk who have no affinity to Enfield, London or the UK. This is the problem.
    So what are you doing to help with this? Are you reaching out to other communities to see if they need help? Have you tried to help? or do you think that all the effort should com from them? In the 2011 census, Enfield was 82% white (68% British, 10% Other, 3% Irish). The largest non-white group, Black African, claimed 3%. Oh, by the way, some of my best friends are black too.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • Blimey - I worked at the Ordnance factory in Enfield in the early 80's. It was doomed at that point and, believe me, that rot hadn't started in 1977. In fact it was going the same way as places like Colchester Lathe (where I also worked) - under investment and labour issues like pretty much most of British industry at that point.

You also have to remember that Britain's wealth has come off the backs of the countries in the empire.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • ukiboy
    Rick, Enfield has changed beyond belief. The evidence is that which presents itself in front of my eyes.
    The High Street is now totally Turkish. There are no businesses on the High Street which have an English signage.
    Folk walking down the street pushing a pram with 3 children in tow (4 in total), are common. They are not English, they are Somali or other East African. There is no way that they are financing their family. This has happened since the late '90's. The British tax payer is financing this. Correct me if I'm wrong Rick.
  • rick_chasey
    What's the name of enfield high street? I fancy a google street view tour.

But I'm curious to know why you think the people you've identified as East African have 'no way' of financing their family. How on earth do you know their finances?
  • ukiboy
    If you have to ask.... I know the place very well.
    A one bed flat is 200k. Let's just say the place is well and truly knackered. Thanks Tony.
    It's f'ed..
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,719
    I seem to have missed part of the story.

Thought all our problems were the fault of Brussels, but now you blame Tony Blair?
  • ukiboy

But I'm curious to know why you think the people you've identified as East African have 'no way' of financing their family. How on earth do you know their finances?

Just out of interest Rick,

How old are you? Where are you from? What's your educational background? How much do you earn a year? I'm curious..
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569

Try London Road or A110 in Enfield. True, if Boots, Poundland, Greggs etc are Turkish shops. :roll:

Lots of shops are still empty in my town following the Crash. Still no takers for Woolworths, which was the biggest store in the shopping centre. My local corner shop closed following the crash, but this year a Sainsbury's local has moved in and built a new store on the site after six years with an increasingly rundown building to look at. So some positive signs really.

As a uk born father of four, I still continue to get some tax credits in addition to disability benefits related to a disabled child. I get child benefit too. Anyone who lives and works in the country is welcome to equal access to benefits as far as I am concerned.
  • ukiboy
    Or even Ponders End High Street. Spot an English shop on that stretch...
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    ukiboy wrote:

Just out of interest Rick,

How old are you? Where are you from? What's your educational background? How much do you earn a year? I'm curious..
    Maybe you should give us your biographical profile first.
  • rick_chasey
    ukiboy wrote:

Presumably all the one-shop businesses are English, 'cos, y'know, they're in England and registered in England.

Unless that's not what you mean? Be more specific in your language.
  • Go on, tell what shops you'd like to see in their place, be specific now...what is acceptable to you?
  • rick_chasey
    ukiboy wrote:
    If you have to ask.... I know the place very well.

What does this mean? Is this in answer to how you know other people's finances? That means nothing.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,016
    Go on, tell what shops you'd like to see in their place, be specific now...what is acceptable to you?
    Boots, perhaps.

Oh no, they are an American business now.
  • briantrumpet
    Starbucks, maybe.

Ah, erm...
  • briantrumpet
    McDonalds?

Damn, this isn't going too well.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    mrfpb wrote:

As a uk born father of four, I still continue to get some tax credits in addition to disability benefits related to a disabled child. I get child benefit too. Anyone who lives and works in the country is welcome to equal access to benefits as far as I am concerned.

Yeah perhaps i can pay some more tax and you can have a 5th child?

so not only have you voted to leave the EU and p1ss ed me off in the process, now you tell me i m paying for you too, this is the really reason this country is going down hill, too many people are claiming and not enough are net tax payers.

A girl at work, moaning about billionaires not paying enough tax, then went on to say that her tax credits, HB and child benefit DOUBLED her part time salary, i gently pointed out that perhaps she could do another day and her reply was "i get tired working 3 days a week and i like to go to the gym on my 2 days off"

Dont get me wrong, i ve no problem anyone getting help esp if they can improve their lot, but thats not what is happening, we are just giving people a reason to stay as they are, whilst others pay for it.
  • rick_chasey
    :shock:
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    mamba80 wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:

so not only have you voted to leave the EU and p1ss ed me off in the process, now you tell me i m paying for you too, this is the really reason this country is going down hill, too many people are claiming and not enough are net tax payers.

A girl at work, moaning about billionaires not paying enough tax, then went on to say that her tax credits, HB and child benefit DOUBLED her part time salary, i gently pointed out that perhaps she could do another day and her reply was "i get tired working 3 days a week and i like to go to the gym on my 2 days off"

Dont get me wrong, i ve no problem anyone getting help esp if they can improve their lot, but thats not what is happening, we are just giving people a reason to stay as they are, whilst others pay for it.

Thanks mamba, love u too!
  • ukiboy
    ukiboy wrote:

Presumably all the one-shop businesses are English, 'cos, y'know, they're in England and registered in England.

It's not that difficult Rick. English shops = English businesses, shop front written in English, goods inside English or British. Not a shop front that an indigenous English person couldn't understand. I can't understand any of the shop fronts that are in Ponders End High Street as they're all written in a language that is foreign to me. Years ago I could understand them all as they were written in, you know, ENGLISH! As it should be. Seeing as we are in ENGLAND!
  • briantrumpet
    ukiboy wrote:
    English shops = English businesses, shop front written in English, goods inside English or British. Not a shop front that an indigenous English person couldn't understand. I can't understand any of the shop fronts that are in Ponders End High Street as they're all written in a language that is foreign to me. Years ago I could understand them all as they were written in, you know, ENGLISH! As it should be. Seeing as we are in ENGLAND!

List of businesses on High Street in Ponders End
    IMO Car Wash (ARC)
    Car Wash & Valet Services

5-15
    Boundary Service Station
    Petrol Filling Stations

26-30
    Crystal Car Sales
    Car Dealers

Funtastic Print
    Printers

Ladbrokes
    Bookmakers

Ads by Google

Ponders End Newsagents
    Newsagents

Belash Saree Centre
    Clothes - Women

Julies Salon
    Hair & Beauty Salons

ASDA
    Supermarkets

60-62
    City Cars
    Car Dealers

Portfolio Property Services
    Estate Agents

Breakfast House Cafe
    Cafe & Tearoom

Sunshine Cafe
    Cafes, Snack Shops & Tea Rooms

Poundland
    Discount Store

Poundstretcher
    Discount Store

Clarks
    Shoe Shops

Farmfoods
    Supermarkets

Brantano Footwear
    Shoe Shops

Ponder's End Kebabs
    Fast Food Takeaway

Ponders End Dry Cleaners
    Dry Cleaners

City Paints
    Painting & Decorating Supplies

Advance Insurance Services
    Insurance Agents

The Wash Shop
    Laundries & Launderettes

Kay's Salon
    Hair & Beauty Salons

UK Garage
    Car Accessories & Parts

Ads by Google

Hilal Butcher
    Butchers

Bamboo Leaf
    Chinese Fast Food Takeaway

Tony's Barbers
    Barbers

Pro Visas & Immagration Solicitors
    Solicitors

132-134
    Harris Homes
    Estate Agents

Veri Peri
    Fast Food Takeaway

Enfield
    Halal Butchers

Marmara Food
    Convenience Stores

Has Antepliler

Euro Cars
    Minicabs

Smart Look
    Hairdressers - Unisex

Anadolu Travel
    Travel Agents

National Tyres & Autocare
    Garage Services

Hi-Q Tyre Services
    Garage Services

164-166
    Pizza Hut Delivery
    Fast Food Delivery

Post Office Ltd
    Post Office Services

Sinan's Barbers
    Barbers

Horizon
    Dry Cleaners

182-186
    Ponders End Food Centre
    Grocers

Time To Internet
    Internet Cafes

Pound Plus Discount Store
    Household Stores

Heir Kutz
    Hairdressers

UMT Travels & Money Transfers
    Travel Agents

Dean House Surgery
    Medical Centres

Internet Cafe
    Internet Cafes

Enfield Smiles Dental Practice
    Dentists

195A
    Peace of Mind Therapy Centre
    Alternative & Complementary Medicines

Millennium Cafe

197-205
    Kent Solictors
    Solicitors

197-205
    Adult Learning Academy
    Miscellaneous

Smart Move
    Estate Agents

Clover Insurance
    Insurance Agents

219-221
    The Secondary Support Centre
    Council Services

219B
    Car Park
    Car Parking & Garaging

223-225
    Kith&Kids
    Charity Shops

Shukran
    Indian Takeaway

Amma's Kitchen
    Fast Food Takeaway

Bangla Bazar
    Grocers

Legends Barbers
    Barbers

Golden Chicken
    Take Away Food Shops

Perfect Fried Chicken
    Fast Food Takeaway

Amanah Sevices
    Travel Agents

244-246
    Oriental
    Grocers

Zara Pharmacy
    Chemists / Toiletries

Co-op Pharmacy
    Chemists - Dispensing

YPS Phone Shop
    Mobile Phones

The Sense
    Hairdressers - Unisex

253A
    Jenningsbet
    Bookmakers

Kamelya
    Take Away Food Shops

William Hill
    Bookmakers

Star Cafe

MB Cash & Carry
    Cash & Carry

Barclays Bank PLC
    Banks & Other Financial Institutions

Paddy Power
    Bookmakers

262-264
    Ava
    Grocers

266-270
    Bellona
    Furniture Shops

Cottage Cleaners
    Dry Cleaners

Chicken & Pizza Point
    Fast Food Takeaway

Reconditioned Domestic Appliances
    Domestic Appliances - Sales

Sacha
    Hair & Beauty Salons

Lick'n Chick'n
    Fast Food Takeaway

Tesco Petrol Filling Station
    Petrol Filling Stations

Tesco Extra
    Supermarkets

Eagle House Surgery
    Medical Centres

Elgon Chemist
    Chemists - Dispensing

Hurgen's
    Barbers

Luks Supermarket
    Convenience Stores

Ponders End Supermarket
    Grocers

Lombard Estates
    Estate Agents

Amore
    Clothes - Women

Connexions
    Council Services

Axis Tuition Centre
    Miscellaneous

ADM Food & Wine
    Convenience Stores

Mirache Boutique & Decor
    Clothes - Women
  • ukiboy wrote:
    ukiboy wrote:

It's not that difficult Rick. English shops = English businesses, shop front written in English, goods inside English or British. Not a shop front that an indigenous English person couldn't understand. I can't understand any of the shop fronts that are in Ponders End High Street as they're all written in a language that is foreign to me. Years ago I could understand them all as they were written in, you know, ENGLISH! As it should be. Seeing as we are in ENGLAND!

Any shop like that would be the size of a broom cupboard and only be stocked with things like local jam and real ale.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,669
    mamba80 wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:

You're a tory at heart mamba :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]