Flu vaccination

term1te
term1te Posts: 1,462
edited November 2016 in Training, fitness and health
I had the this year's flu jab at work today, and the nurse told me not to undertake any sport or strenuous exercise for 24 hours. I asked why, and apparently my immune system wouldn't cope. I've never been told this before previous immunisations. Was she being overly cautious, or should I take it easy? And if so, why? Might be a problem though, as I have a 23 mile commute home on the bike later...

Comments

• Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    A large dose of a*se covering I reckon
  • term1te
    Well I cycled home OK, and don't feel the worse for it.
  • She's talking cr@p, no evidence for that advice.
    SC Heckler
    Chopper Mk2
    Grifter
    Merlin Malt-CR
    Revolution Courier 2
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I once asked if I could go swimming after my flu jab - was no told no problem - and there wasn't.

as i understand it what they inject you with is dead - but youre immune system recognises the pattern - and so sends out the antibodies -
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Never been told not to exercise after the flu jab, over cautious advice IMO.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've felt a bit odd a couple of times if I go racing around after giving blood, but a vaccination has never affected me.

Actually that's not quite true, a yellow fever jab in 1982 left me with a sore arm for 3 days...
  • term1te
    Working on neglected tropical diseases, I've had a few immunisations in my time. Yellow fever was a bit sore, never had any problem at all with flu, but the worst was FSME (tick-borne encephalitis) which left me feeling like I had a nasty hangover for a couple of days after each jab, you need three over one year.
  • Term1te wrote:
    I had the this year's flu jab at work today, and the nurse told me not to undertake any sport or strenuous exercise for 24 hours. I asked why, and apparently my immune system wouldn't cope. I've never been told this before previous immunisations. Was she being overly cautious, or should I take it easy? And if so, why? Might be a problem though, as I have a 23 mile commute home on the bike later...
    In previous years you've been younger, Term1te. Next thing you know, in your annual check up she'll be mentioning other things that tend to start wearing out "at your age".
  • term1te
    topcattim wrote:
    Term1te wrote:
    In previous years you've been younger, Term1te. Next thing you know, in your annual check up she'll be mentioning other things that tend to start wearing out "at your age".

Its when the doctor puts on the rubber glove I'll worry.