Fig rolls how many an hour

louman999
louman999 Posts: 90
edited November 2016 in Training, fitness and health
When I go cycling I often take dates for me to eat however I'm a bit bored of them. I've heard fig rolls are good to eat I'm just wondering how many roughly to eat an hour.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Well, how many dates do you eat per hour? Use that number and go from there. Meanwhile, don't over-think stuff like this.
  • How big are the fig rolls?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    I wonder what the world record of fig rolls/hour is? Now that I could get excited about.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If I'm out for 3 or 4 hours I'll have some fig rolls and jelly babies to nibble on. Maybe one every 40 minutes, and a couple of jelly babies. For an all day ride I'd take some proper savoury food too, and /or have a cafe stop.

Don't be tempted to overdo the fig rolls though, you might be gambling with their laxative properties vs your ability to get your bibshorts down in a hurry...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,327
    keef66 wrote:
    Don't be tempted to overdo the fig rolls though, you might be gambling with their laxative properties vs your ability to get your bibshorts down in a hurry...
    If that goes wrong you could always sell the bibs on. :?
  • imposter2.0
    Seeing as we seem to be taking this post seriously - I have tried fig rolls on a ride, but only once.

1. You've got to keep them wrapped in your back pocket, or else they go soggy.
    2. If they stay dry, they are very difficult to eat on the bike, as the 'roll' outer (whatever it is) tends to dry out your mouth while you're trying to chew it, so you need a lot of fluid with each one.
    3. If they are not dry (see pt.1) they just fall apart and leave a soggy mess in your pocket.
    4. Tried them and then went back to dates and papaya chunks - both of which you can just keep loose in a back pocket.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    worked fine for me on the RL100 and earlier sportives - tried them after I got fed up with everything else being too sweet .. yup, they can be a bit dry, but that's what the bottle is for ...
    how many an hour? oh I dunno - depends how many shops that are open and stock fig rolls you go past on your route...
  • stevewj
    stevewj Posts: 227
    works for me - four on a three hour ride
  • Agreed, more a post ride treat. French version Figolu is also pretty good for Alpine figginess.

Soreen is the answer.
  • I used to just tip 2 packets into a plastic sandwich bag and drop into a pocket. I found it easy to pick one out and personally experienced the dry or soggy phenomena mentioned above. I guess it depends a bit on make or shape of the fig rolls. I got the smaller ones that look like they're cut from a longer fig roll without the ends getting squashed. The squashed end rolls tend to be flatter than what IMHO is t the better fig rolls. (More than 1.5 packs in one 7 hour day out and their negative effects come out with me!)
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    There's generally 70 calories in each one, so figure it out from that.
  • On a ride of 40 miles I may just take a couple as back up and not usually eat them.
    On rides of 60 miles plus I will carry 3 or 4 or just 2 and a banana cut in half. Put them in a small plastic bag that you can get your fingrs in easy to access whilst riding. Eat if you start to feel hungry, I also use High5 energy drink on 60 miles plus rides. I don't usually eat them all but like to have a bit in reserve.
    I used to race on fig rolls but they are difficult when you are trying to get them down your neck when your HR and your breathing is high. For racing I now prefer gels, but only for racing or special events
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Veronese68 wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    If that goes wrong you could always sell the bibs on. :?

You are a bad bad man :D
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    This is a hotly debated topic in scientific circles, but according to a recently published paper in Nature the optimal figure is 1.26 fig rolls per hour of hard GET A GRIP MAN
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    They are aerodynamically shaped .... Shame it's not a flat bar you could poke them on your bar ends to stop them messing your Jersey up .... I suppose you could poke them on to your qr's
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,922
    Imposter wrote:
    Seeing as we seem to be taking this post seriously - I have tried fig rolls on a ride, but only once.

2. If they stay dry, they are very difficult to eat on the bike, as the 'roll' outer (whatever it is) tends to dry out your mouth while you're trying to chew it, so you need a lot of fluid with each one.
    3. If they are not dry (see pt.1) they just fall apart and leave a soggy mess in your pocket.
    4. Tried them and then went back to dates and papaya chunks - both of which you can just keep loose in a back pocket.
    Depends on the fig roll - currently my favourites are Co-op - 55p a pack, and they are moist enough to be fine to eat without lubrication, and the pack is easy enough to open with one's teeth, and to retrieve the fig rolls from in one's back pocket whilst cycling (so they don't fall apart). I'll typically take along a couple of packs on a 80-100 mile ride. Fig rolls powered me on my Paris-to-Rome ride in 2013.

So, to answer the OP's question, I'd estimate four per hour. There, I've taken the question seriously.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    Imposter wrote:

Depends on the fig roll - currently my favourites are Co-op - 55p a pack, and they are moist enough to be fine to eat without lubrication, and the pack is easy enough to open with one's teeth, and to retrieve the fig rolls from in one's back pocket whilst cycling (so they don't fall apart). I'll typically take along a couple of packs on a 80-100 mile ride. Fig rolls powered me on my Paris-to-Rome ride in 2013.

So, to answer the OP's question, I'd estimate four per hour. There, I've taken the question seriously.

I put a small bag on the top tube. That's usually big enough for a pack of them, and makes it easier (and tidier) to get them out on a ride.
  • briantrumpet
    phreak wrote:
    I put a small bag on the top tube. That's usually big enough for a pack of them, and makes it easier (and tidier) to get them out on a ride.
    Spoilz da aerodynamics, innit.
  • imposter2.0
    phreak wrote:
    Also makes you look like a triathlete, which is not a good thing.
  • briantrumpet
    Imposter wrote:
    phreak wrote:
    Also makes you look like a triathlete, which is not a good thing.
    For the complete look, use TT bars on a sportive.
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    + compression socks
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    And helmet on backwards?

Mind you, I'm considering audax riding when I retire, so I'm currently weighing up the pros and cons of a proper bar bag. Will mean a change of groupset to de-cable the bars (or a bodge using MTB V-brake noodles) and a dynohub front wheel / suitable lighting F & R...
  • Websta24
    Websta24 Posts: 162
    twenty
  • I think on a good day I could do a packet in about two cups, after that there is just a mess of bits in the bottom.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    One of the major fig roll manufacturers funded some research on this and apparently you should eat 2 fig rolls every 15 minutes or you'll suffer a 37% drop in sustainable power.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Louman999 wrote:
    When I go cycling I often take dates for me to eat however I'm a bit bored of them. I've heard fig rolls are good to eat I'm just wondering how many roughly to eat an hour.

I too am a big fan of dates and will normally eat 2 or 3 an hour. I've heard that Pork Pies are good but I've been reluctant to try them as I'm not sure how many per hour?

For reference I'm thinking Morrison's Large Lattice type....
    https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/product/Morrisons-Large-Lattice-Pie/304308011?sku=304308011&parentContainer=&voucherCode=&dnr=y

TIA
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Louman999 wrote:

I too am a big fan of dates and will normally eat 2 or 3 an hour. I've heard that Pork Pies are good but I've been reluctant to try them as I'm not sure how many per hour?

https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/product/Morrisons-Large-Lattice-Pie/304308011?sku=304308011&parentContainer=&voucherCode=&dnr=y

TIA

You're better off getting the ones with integrated pickled onion. They are far easier to digest on the go and saves having to carry a separate jar.
  • Garry H wrote:
    Louman999 wrote:

TIA

You're better off getting the ones with integrated pickled onion. They are far easier to digest on the go and saves having to carry a separate jar.

Have you got a link please Garry?
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Garry H wrote:
    Louman999 wrote:

TIA

Here you go Charlie

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/ ... =263687550

Other brands are available, but you get the gist. You can even stick a few in a blender and mix with milk and sport supplement of your choice.
  • Garry H wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    Louman999 wrote:

TIA

Here you go Charlie

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/ ... =263687550

Other brands are available, but you get the gist. You can even stick a few in a blender and mix with milk and sport supplement of your choice.

Thanks Garry :D