Question: Folding. Answer: Still Brompton?

dhope
dhope Posts: 6,699
edited November 2016 in Commuting chat
Having to move around the city more than I used to and I don't like locking my silly tarty fixie up outside.
Therefore, folding.

Doesn't seem like the landscape has changed much in the last 5 years.
So still Brompton, or others that I've missed?
Rose Xeon CW Disc
CAAD12 Disc
Condor Tempo

Comments

• Brompton if you have either red or mustard coloured trousers.

I just bought a Ridgeback/Dahon folder from the 90's and it's a hoot. Folds/unfolds in seconds and great fun, despite the 15kg (!) weight. Cost me £60.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I think Bromptons are still the neatest, most compact folders, but they are expensive. How far would you have to lug it once folded?

Colleague retired last Christmas and had a folder as a leaving gift. Went with a cheap and cheerful thing from Halfords because he only wanted it to stash on his boat so he'd got something to ride when he gets to Holland to see his drug dealer. Possibly.

He brought it in on his last day and I rode it round the office (dressed as an elf). He said he never knew it went that fast. I said I didn't think the brakes would be that good. I now have a 6 foot skidmark on the light grey carpet pointing straight towards my desk :oops:
  • TonyJams
    TonyJams Posts: 214
    Brompton if you're going to be doing regular folding - i.e. train assisted. There's nothing that can beat it when you are folding and unfolding four or more times a day. Anything else and you will get this nagging feeling every single time you bend down to undo it - "bah should have bought a Brompton" and it will become super annoying!

If you're riding to work and want something folding purely for storage under your desk then it becomes a slightly different matter - you can get away with 20" wheels rather than 16"s and you can go for lightness and flexible positioning over super compact space. Also, you don't have to be limited by Brompton's lack of gears.

The Dahons are outstanding in this department. Plus you can pick them up discounted across the board which is something rare with the Bromptons.

So in summary, no it doesn't sound like you need the extra expense of a Brompton. You can probably do it for half the price.
  • dhope
    Wont be going on the train daily with it and the normal commute would still be my commuter which stays in the company car park.
    Folder would be for days when I'm going home - work - gym - work - college - home for example. So it wouldn't have a standard place under a desk to keep it - more likely a combination of under a desk, back of a room, round a corner somewhere etc. So the fold probably is important that I'm not lugging something huge around.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,683
    Has Asprilla actually sold his TT Brompton? Or has he just hidden it and bought another bike anyway?
  • dhope
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Has Asprilla actually sold his TT Brompton? Or has he just hidden it and bought another bike anyway?
    Hmm, I missed that. That's interesting to know...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Brompton if you have either red or mustard coloured trousers.
    [...]

Lios nano if you have a banker's salary to go with them?
  • TonyJams wrote:
    Brompton if you're going to be doing regular folding - i.e. train assisted. There's nothing that can beat it when you are folding and unfolding four or more times a day. Anything else and you will get this nagging feeling every single time you bend down to undo it - "bah should have bought a Brompton" and it will become super annoying!

You see, having seen videos of the Brompton, I'm surprised to hear people always say this. Mine's just a couple of quick releases and it's done. Bromptons seem to have loads of screws and stuff which would annoy me more, especially in winter, wearing gloves. They do fold smaller, though, but it's hardly a huge amount.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    dhope wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Hmm, I missed that. That's interesting to know...

Not sold it yet. I was going to return it to stock config before sticking it on eBay and then sell the tarty bits (ti seat post, ti clamps, tt bars, 56t chain rings, etc). Also need to put the 16/12 on the back where I've got 14/12.

See sig for pic.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    You see, having seen videos of the Brompton, I'm surprised to hear people always say this. Mine's just a couple of quick releases and it's done. Bromptons seem to have loads of screws and stuff which would annoy me more, especially in winter, wearing gloves. They do fold smaller, though, but it's hardly a huge amount.
    I have a Dahon musl (and the classy hon solo for when I went across the City doing meetings) which I bought as I did 8+ miles each way on it. It served me brilliantly, folded quickly and easily and was actually a pretty enjoyable riding experience. But, if I was buying a folder to fold and take up small space, to use on trains at rush hour, to go on buses, leave inside, if I had the money, I would go for a Brompton. Also, it is a British design classic! That little bit extra makes a lot of difference...
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I've got more of a road-racing Brompton that's not worth returning to original spec. Road bike position, narrow rims, 8-speed hub, bar-end shifter etc. Similar bars to Asprilla...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • dhope
    TGOTB wrote:
    I've got more of a road-racing Brompton that's not worth returning to original spec. Road bike position, narrow rims, 8-speed hub, bar-end shifter etc. Similar bars to Asprilla...
    That you're selling too?
    I'd need to change my name to TGOTGOTBB
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • asprilla
    TGOTB wrote:

How do you have pursuit bars with two brake levers and a bar end shifter? Do you have aerobars as well?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • tgotb
    Asprilla wrote:
    How do you have pursuit bars with two brake levers and a bar end shifter? Do you have aerobars as well?
    No, I used one of these.

Bit of a faff, because it turns out that different bars have quite a range of internal/external diameters, so I had to find bars that are the right diameter for the Brompton stem clamp, the brake lever and a shifter that's in turn compatible with a hub that gives a good range of ratios but can also be modified to fit in the Brompton's narrow rear triangle.

The nice thing about pursuit bars (I'm sure you found the same thing) is that you end up with a riding position that's much closer to a normal road bike position. I never got round to fitting a quick release stem clamp, so the fold's slightly compromised; what did you do?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • asprilla
    TGOTB wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    No, I used one of these.

Bit of a faff, because it turns out that different bars have quite a range of internal/external diameters, so I had to find bars that are the right diameter for the Brompton stem clamp, the brake lever and a shifter that's in turn compatible with a hub that gives a good range of ratios but can also be modified to fit in the Brompton's narrow rear triangle.

The nice thing about pursuit bars (I'm sure you found the same thing) is that you end up with a riding position that's much closer to a normal road bike position. I never got round to fitting a quick release stem clamp, so the fold's slightly compromised; what did you do?

Cunning. Given I only have two gears (and I'm selling it) I don't think It's worth it for me.

I use a qr seat clamp bolt. I went through about 5 seat clamps finding one that was the right size and could take the required force; with the first few the bars would slip when I hit a bump. Didn't inspire confidence.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    29945408094_50584332dd_z.jpg

Of all my bikes, my Brompton is the one that brings me most joy. It makes me smile whenever I see it.
  • keef66 wrote:
    I think Bromptons are still the neatest, most compact folders, but they are expensive. How far would you have to lug it once folded?

Colleague retired last Christmas and had a folder as a leaving gift. Went with a cheap and cheerful thing from Halfords because he only wanted it to stash on his boat so he'd got something to ride when he gets to Holland to see his drug dealer. Possibly.

He brought it in on his last day and I rode it round the office (dressed as an elf). He said he never knew it went that fast. I said I didn't think the brakes would be that good. I now have a 6 foot skidmark on the light grey carpet pointing straight towards my desk :oops:

Sounds like a fun place to work!
  • tgotb
    I'm not sure I'd relish the idea of working somewhere where the employees have to dress up as elves...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • TGOTB wrote:
    I'm not sure I'd relish the idea of working somewhere where the employees have to dress up as elves...

Oh if there's coercion involved I'm out!
  • dhope
    TGOTB, Memsey:
    1, 2 or 3 speed?
    Looks like 2 speed from what I can tell on pics. And can see Asprilla went 2 speed.

Asprilla, what're you selling it for in TT form? (/PM me)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    TGOTB wrote:

It's only fun in the run up to Christmas when all the senior managers seem to disappear suspiciously early :)
    Elf gear entirely optional, and a charity fundraiser. My son is into the whole Christmas jumper thing in a big way and bought me one complete with jingling bells and a hat with ears, so I put it to good use. Bit too warm for the office TBH, especially when time-trialling a folding bike through the Finance Dept.
  • tgotb
    dhope wrote:
    TGOTB, Memsey:
    1, 2 or 3 speed?
    Looks like 2 speed from what I can tell on pics. And can see Asprilla went 2 speed.

Asprilla, what're you selling it for in TT form? (/PM me)
    Depends what sort of riding you do, and how you ride. I like plenty of close-spaced gears, which means 6-speed; the gaps on a 3-speed are quite big. Shifting's a bit weird though, the 2-speed derailleur is like a fine tune with the 3-speed hub giving coarse adjustments, so it's a bit like riding a normal bike with a 2-speed rear mech and triple chainring. Shifting between 2nd and 3rd, or between 4th and 5th, requires you to use both levers.

I built my 8-speed partly for racing; whilst it was quite successful (think I was 4th in the Brompton Worlds) you could be better off with a 2-speed (with well-chosen ratios) on a flat course, as the hub gear is a bit lossy.

Mine's potentially also for sale (haven't ridden it for ages) but Asprilla can have first dibs (and it sounds like his folds smaller!)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    TGOTB wrote:

Rules out any future employment for you on Lord of the Rings, or Santa's Workshop then...
  • TGOTB wrote:

I hear the boss is quite jolly and hands out gifts.

On Bromptons, one mate gets a new one every year on cycle to work and just sells on the one year old one, never looses money apparently. He then has a Ti bolt pack that he switches over each time to help weight and makes the used one look fresh with the original shiny bits come sale time and has invested in some of the sprung quick releases which appear way better engineered than the stock ones.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,118
    Have you ridden a brompton? Personally, I hated it. Felt unsafe. Evans cheapie Tern on the other hand was a hoot.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • dhope
    SecretSam wrote:
    Have you ridden a brompton? Personally, I hated it. Felt unsafe. Evans cheapie Tern on the other hand was a hoot.
    Have now. Bought a Brompton. There should be a forum bell to ring when you get a new bike 8)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • DrLex
    Well done! Just a few more to equal the Robin Williams collection.
    Given the price of S/H ones, it seems like you won't lose much if you change your mind/plans and sell it on.
  • dhope
    First commute done. It's not massively more spinny than the fixed, but dropping to a 75" gear from the usual 85" is noticeable. The single sided SPDs (A530's) are on order but flats were fine today. Bit odd being so upright with a lighter front end but, again, shouldn't take long to get used to.

A handful of scalps but none that I'd put on the mantelpiece. Mostly entry level roadies or mid level bosses when you're playing on easy.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • DrLex
    ^ Now I'm imagining a "Scott Pilgrim - SCR" episode.
  • dhope
    Yep, ones that have the bike but for some reason they've had the footwear downgraded to Crocs, or the AI is nobbled and they make obviously bad filtering decisions and get boxed in.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo