dhb at CRC

2»

Comments

• Hardly surprising... a merger always comes with job cuts
    left the forum March 2023

• Hardly surprising... a merger always comes with job cuts

Nobody moaning that they're concentrating their business (and profits) in mainland UK where the corporation tax rate is higher (or will be when NI reduce theirs to 12.5%)? Dodgy multinationals seeking to pay more tax doesn't make the headlines.
  • The job losses are not unusual in a merger/aquisition situation but you do have to wonder what, other than destroying a decent competitor, Wiggle have gained in this instance...
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Market share. Customer database. IP. Possibly superior back office systems.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Gweeds wrote:
    Market share. Customer database. IP. Possibly superior back office systems.

And the potential to asset strip their biggest competitor, put them to the sword, and leave people (and families) out of work?

Is a warehouse operative in Doagh likely to be paid more than a warehouse operative in Wolverhampton?? I think not. NI typically has a lower wage cost than most of England, Scotland and Wales; and I'd be reasonably confident that there'd be a lower rates levy in NI too. Couple that with the lower corporation tax (if, or when, it might come to fruition), and you'd have to wonder what the overall end goal really was??
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Gweeds wrote:
    what the overall end goal really was??

CUlEaGh.jpg
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • Well, isn't that the primary obligation of any company? To act in the best interests of its shareholders?

Whether that is morally right is an altogether different matter.
    There's no such thing as too old.