FRAME ALIGNMENT (and wheels)

2»

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    #supercrap

It's quite insulting to misuse peoples names.

We strongly disagree on spelling, punctuation and grammar too. Perhaps if you obsessed over your posts as much as your frame...
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    From Parktools, makers of the famed FAG-2

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... -alignment

"Centering tolerance for FAG-2 pointer-to-dropout gap is generally considered 1-2mm. Adequate tolerance for frame width-to-hub difference is also generally considered 1-2mm. However, bikes can certainly perform adequately with even greater error than these numbers. Check with the frame manufacturer for specific tolerances."

And that's for a road bike with skinny tyres and minimal clearances.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    cooldad wrote:

"Centering tolerance for FAG-2 pointer-to-dropout gap is generally considered 1-2mm. Adequate tolerance for frame width-to-hub difference is also generally considered 1-2mm. However, bikes can certainly perform adequately with even greater error than these numbers. Check with the frame manufacturer for specific tolerances."

I very strongly disagree with #pork #tools
  • #cooldad

"Result #1: With the FAG-2 contacting head tube and seat tube, the pointer sits directly on right dropout. This frame would be considered nicely aligned left-to-right. Even if there is a small gap between pointer and dropout (under 2mm), it means a wheel will sit within 1mm of center, and the frame is still is good alignment."

My wheel is 2mm OFF-center.

A. Einstein is also dead.
  • cooldad
    So send the bloody thing back, #Einstein.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:

I very strongly disagree with #pork #tools

GT's mum never disagreed with #porktools.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    Supperap wrote:
    #cooldad

"Result #1: With the FAG-2 contacting head tube and seat tube, the pointer sits directly on right dropout. This frame would be considered nicely aligned left-to-right. Even if there is a small gap between pointer and dropout (under 2mm), it means a wheel will sit within 1mm of center, and the frame is still is good alignment."

My wheel is 2mm OFF-center.

A. Einstein is also dead.

I strongly disagree.
    If you're not happy, send it back and stop whinging like an old woman.
    Would you like to start a thread now complaining about the replacement frame? How about there not being any paint inside the frame? Or the carbon weave not being aligned with Mecca? Or it gave you genital warts?
  • Wannabes that like skewed frames - great!

Enjoy.
  • cooldad
    I currently own in excess of a dozen bikes (I can't really be arsed to count them, but around there). In my life I have owned something approaching a hell of a lot.

I have never checked a frame, I have never worried about it, my bikes always go roughly where I point them, except when I fall off, and I don't have genital warts.

Enjoy, but life is too short, seriously.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    If you keep it then you can use the misalignment as an excuse for finishing last in races or for having even worse cornering ability than the average roadie on a mountain bike.
  • doomanic
    doomanic Posts: 238
    Supperap; I currently own 4 bikes. Two are ex-team bikes from the late '90s so I have no idea how they were treated before I got my sticky mitts on them but I do know how many times I've fallen off them/ done huge jumps/messed up the landings from said jumps and I know they still go roughly in the right direction when I ride them. I've actually only fallen off my 2011 bike once, but it was a biggie. It too still goes roughly where I point it. I haven't even ridden my newest bike yet, perhaps you'd like to measure it for me?
  • rockmonkeysc
    My bike was previously owned by a pro freerider who rides for Transition.
    It rides extremely nicely but I'd hate to think how crooked it is after a year hucking off cliffs, racing in the Alps, riding in the skate park and dirt jumping.
  • Just put a 2mm spacer on the other side, or hit it with a park tools rubber mallet , or send the thing back to Scott like people have told you too.