FRAME ALIGNMENT (and wheels)

Supperap
Supperap Posts: 22
edited October 2016 in MTB general
"Frame alignment is important to the performance of the bicycle"

My new rear wheels is not centered perfectly in the my new carbon frame. The rear wheel is about 1.2 mm to the right of the center-line. The rear wheel it self is perfectly en centered, so it must be the frame. It is not the drop outs, because of the x12 thru axle system (no drops). So it must be the frame.

My question is whether I should send the frame back or try to solve the problem (maybe live with it)?

/Supperap

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    1.2mm is nothing. Also, how are you entirely sure that the wheel is perfectly dished?
  • Because I have the Park tool Wag-4 (WHEEL ALIGNMENT GAUGE).

Maybe you think 1.2 mm is nothing, but it is actually pretty much on a race bike (Because you can se it very easy.). And 1 mm is not much if the wheels track each other; but what if the 1.2 mm means the wheels is NOT tracking each other (because the frame is out for alignment): if the wheel is not parallel with the center-line?

I have a steel mtb frames from Ritchey (p-29), which is completely aligned. so a twice as expensive carbon frame does not have the same precision?

Supperap
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Send it back or your OCD will keep you awake at night.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Depends on what the shop have to say (or scott)
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    How are you measuring it?
    It's unlikely you'd ever notice it while riding unless you're running 23mm tyres at 120psi.
    I very much doubt that you'd get a replacement if you take it back, there will be a tolerance on alignment which is probably greater than 1.2mm
  • cooldad
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    Check whether the carbon weave goes left to right. If it goes front to back, then you got trouble.
  • I have measured it agan, and it is nearly 2mm. I have don the wire(cord test) and it "says" the frame is crooked. I will rerurn the frame no matter what (there is always the return opportunity.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Supperap wrote:
    I have measured it agan, and it is nearly 2mm.

Dear God, you dodged a bullet there. Riding that would definitely result in a horrible painful death.
    You should sue Scott for wrecklessly selling you a highly dangerous bicycle.
  • I think Scott was a good brand, but it sucks like the rest!

Or maybe there was a reason why the frame was so cheap: it did not come through the quality control, and then sold as garbage!
  • rockmonkeysc
    If you think 2mm is bad, try an Intense. Some of the best riding bikes available but nowhere near straight.
    I think you're worrying about something which just isn't a problem. To get within less than 2 mm over the length on a bike on alignment of the rear drop out takes some precision. If you take off the drop outs and refit them you'll find that the alignment will be completely different.
  • cooldad
    Supperap wrote:
    I think Scott was a good brand, but it sucks like the rest!
    Yep, every bike in the history of the world is rubbish...
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • If you think 2mm is bad, try an Intense. Some of the best riding bikes available but nowhere near straight.
    I think you're worrying about something which just isn't a problem. To get within less than 2 mm over the length on a bike on alignment of the rear drop out takes some precision. If you take off the drop outs and refit them you'll find that the alignment will be completely different.

WHAT?

It is 2mm different with the string method: this is a lot!

My other frames mtb and race bikes er in alignment, so what you say must be bullshit. Refit the the drops? It will not make any different, if you know how the IDS RWS 12 x 142 drops works on the Scott scale ?
  • If you know the frame is 2mm out then take it back if it bothers you. On a special test rig ( if one exists ) it may make a tiny difference but in the real word a lump of mud on your forks would be more noticeable.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Have you faced the head tube and fork crown? If you haven’t, then your fork probably won't be straight.
    What do you think is an acceptable level of misalignment?
  • #monkey

I disagree strongly!
  • Supperap, please explain to me what was the point of you actually posting on here?
    Your original post asks if you should live with the issue or return the frame - well it looks to me like you had made up your mind anyway as you have dismissed everyone who has said it is not an issue
    Move on!
  • cooldad
    I suggest a strongly worded letter to the Times.

But it's your decision and as you disagree strongly with everyone else, you have to do what you have to do.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've had loads of bikes. Never once needed to check the alignment.

Its not a problem in the real world.
  • rockmonkeysc
    cougie wrote:
    I've had loads of bikes. Never once needed to check the alignment.

Its not a problem in the real world.

Exactly. Once you take in to account flex in tyres, wheels, forks and frame you would never notice 2mm of misalignment.
    I suspect someone may strongly disagree though.....
  • cooldad
    I strongly disagree with disagreeing.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    I blame Wiggle for this whole mess.
    Do you agree with that?
  • doomanic
    doomanic Posts: 238
    I think you'll find it is a nefarious plan by Nicola "Wee Jimmy Krankie" Sturgeon and the SNP to force through another independence referendum.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Independence for Scott
  • Try to ask Sheldon Brown

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

Very simple:

"Use a ruler to measure the distance from the string to the side of the seat tube where they cross. Take this measurement on both sides. It should be the same on each side."
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    It is 2mm different with the string method: this is a lot!

Probably within manufactures tolerances
  • rockmonkeysc
    It should be the same each side, within a tolerance.
  • #monkey

Try asking Sheldon Brown!

"Use a ruler to measure the distance from the string to the side of the seat tube where they cross. Take this measurement on both sides. It should be the same on each side."

And

From Sheldon Brown:

"It is important that both forkends be equally far from the centerline of the frame"
  • cooldad
    He's not #monkey, and Sheldon is dead. RIP beardy one.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • #coolda

Maybe you like a skewed frame, -wheels, -dropouts and so on. I like a straight frame, dished wheels, straigt dropouts and so on.

we are basically disagree in everythings.