Should we swap May for Sturgeon

slowmart
slowmart Posts: 4,481
edited October 2016 in The cake stop
It seems Sturgeon is what we need, not what we'd like, but what we need to ensure the rampant right of the tory party are put back in their box

Oh the irony, the UK won't united for much longer. N Ireland joins the republic and Scotland goes independent.

Cheers Nigel, boris and all the other chimps who told lies for their own ends
“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu

Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I would in a heartbeat.

And I'd put May and the three stooges in The Tower for treason.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    I'll be PM.

I'll have a strict elitist 'no thickos' policy.
  • If we are going to cut ourselves adrift from the EU because we are net contributors and don't want "them" coming here then the answer to the Scottish question is blindingly obvious
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    The Sturgeon that is still obsessed with Scottish independence, despite most of Scotland not actually wanting it and the fact it would be a bad move for the country? And half you lot are moaning that 52% of the UK wasn't enough for Brexit.

Britain has a better chance of success after Brexit than Scotland does if it becomes independent.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    edited October 2016
    NorvernRob wrote:
    The Sturgeon that is still obsessed with Scottish independence, despite most of Scotland not actually wanting it and the fact it would be a bad move for the country? And half you lot are moaning that 52% of the UK wasn't enough for Brexit.

Britain has a better chance of success after Brexit than Scotland does if it becomes independent.

52% of the UK wasn't enough for Brexit.

it really is not semantics to point out that;
    about one quarter of the UK voted to leave the EU
    about one third of the electorate voted to leave the EU
    52 % of those who voted, voted to leave the EU

if over half of the UK had voted for Brexit then they might well be able to claim a mandate for a scorched earth approach to exit. As it is three quarters of the population may feel that they are being railroaded by a minority of ideologues and morons who know not what they do.

Why don't you want to get rid of the Scots? they are a net beneficiary of the UK and have freedom of movement to emigrate to the rest of the UK?

reading your post again I may have missed the sarcasm :(
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,388
    I heard NS talking about Xenophobia in UK government earlier . . . there was an irony in there somewhere
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Joelsim wrote:
    I would in a heartbeat.

I thought you were against rabid nationalism?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Slowmart wrote:
    It seems Sturgeon is what we need, not what we'd like, but what we need to ensure the rampant right of the tory party are put back in their box
    So ideology over competence? I'd suggest that is exactly what we DON'T need.

Sturgeon keeps falling back on Independence like Argentine gov'ts fall back on the 'malvinas', when in the shite and unpopular it makes a great rallying call.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    The Rookie wrote:
    Slowmart wrote:

Sturgeon keeps falling back on Independence like Argentine gov'ts fall back on the 'malvinas', when in the shite and unpopular it makes a great rallying call.

This is not a move for independence though is it? It's a move try and stay in a union.
  • joelsim
    Joelsim wrote:
    I would in a heartbeat.

I thought you were against rabid nationalism?

I'm against people who wilfully try to inflict pain on others.
  • spatt77
    spatt77 Posts: 324

if over half of the UK had voted for Brexit then they might well be able to claim a mandate for a scorched earth approach to exit. As it is three quarters of the population may feel that they are being railroaded by a minority of ideologues and morons who know not what they do.

Why don't you want to get rid of the Scots? they are a net beneficiary of the UK and have freedom of movement to emigrate to the rest of the UK?

Its amazing isn`t it, if remain had won all the leavers would be told this is democracy and to live with it! but they didnt win they are under the apprehension that everything on the leave side was lies and the "remain" side was telling the truth! There was lies on both sides and remainers would do well to remember that.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    The Rookie wrote:
    Slowmart wrote:

What is this thing you speak of? Competence? I have seen little in the government nor in the previous incumbent and the official opposition is effective as a chocolate fire guard.

The context of the trigger for another referendum to leave was to stay in the EU and if you look at the ongoing dialogue in Northern Ireland and the options under discussion it seems everyone can smell the coffee except for those that prefer a hardened border ( whatever that means) to economic stability.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 17166.html
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789
    Finally! An independent England!
    That was the objective all along. Wasn't it?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    spatt77 wrote:

Its amazing isn`t it, if remain had won all the leavers would be told this is democracy and to live with it! but they didnt win they are under the apprehension that everything on the leave side was lies and the "remain" side was telling the truth!There was lies on both sides and remainers would do well to remember that.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    spatt77 wrote:

Its amazing isn`t it, if remain had won all the leavers would be told this is democracy and to live with it! but they didnt win they are under the apprehension that everything on the leave side was lies and the "remain" side was telling the truth!There was lies on both sides and remainers would do well to remember that.

Yep I d swap her for any Tory PM.... What lies did the remains say?
  • spatt77 wrote:

But the Brexiteers do not say they won the referendum, they say the majority of the UK wants to leave the U.K. I believe this to be deliberate messaging to justify a no cost spared exit. How many people voted out expecting a Norway style agreement? More than 400,000?
  • joelsim
    mamba80 wrote:
    spatt77 wrote:

Yep I d swap her for any Tory PM.... What lies did the remains say?

Quite. Name a lie from the Remain side please.

Whilst you're at it, name a truth from the Leave side too.
  • spatt77
    1. Emergency budget (scare tactics )
    2. be able to control immagration
    3. European Army (think we know this is gonna happen now )
  • joelsim
    spatt77 wrote:

Why was the emergency budget a lie?

The other two are incorrect too.
  • joelsim
    Latest Scottish Independence poll. 55% for independence.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/ne ... rd-brexit/
  • spatt77
    The emergency budget was a lie, we were told it would happen after the vote if we voted to leave, as for the other 2 I think you`ll find i`m correct.However its no use me telling you everything is gonna be ok or you telling me we`ll be screwed outside the EU because nobody knows to be honest! I`m 45, lived and worked in Europe for a number of years and loved it and still do. However the EU was a failing organisation and I believe we`ll be better off out of it. The EU started as the COAL AND STEEL board in the 50`s ! I do not wish to become the United States of Europe.if in ten years time I`m wrong I`ll happily hold up my hands and say i got it wrong but I`m very optimistic about our future.
  • joelsim
    The emergency budget wasn't a lie. It wasn't implemented by the new leadership. And was based on what we'd lose as a nation when A50 was invoked.

The EU isn't failing either, there was something big in 2009 unless you missed that, that affected everywhere.
  • spatt77
    well, if you think the EU is doing a great job then good luck to ya! life must be great with them rose colored specs on!
  • joelsim
    spatt77 wrote:
    well, if you think the EU is doing a great job then good luck to ya! life must be great with them rose colored specs on!

I didn't say that. I said that everywhere had been affected in a huge way, EU and non-EU. And us leaving will affect us heavily again, the EU far less so.

EU exports to the UK are 3% of their GDP, ours to the EU are 13% of our GDP. We stand to lose far more than they do.

I'm well aware that there are certain aspects of the EU need some looking at/reform but the single market works very well on the whole, and us or Scotland not being in it would hammer us.

The other point to this is that most EU countries look at Freedom of Movement proudly, unlike us. Scotland, however appear to.
  • sete155
    sete155 Posts: 12
    can't we put sturgeon on a plane....and crash it
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    spatt77 wrote:
    spatt77 wrote:

we did nt leave, so didnt have an emg budget..... but we ll have one eventually, even if it is by stealth.
    never heard them say they could cont immigration.
    EU "Army"would be a reactionary force, similar to the navy patrols (which UK takes part in) in the Med, it would never be some sort of standing Army, involving EU control of member state military forces.... do you think the very nationalistic French would allow the EU to tell them if they could or could not go into Mali ?
    its a good idea, the EU being able to stop the traffickers in and around Libya for example.

Its just a scare tactic like "we will be over run by the Turks if we remaining....."

Sturgeon for PM, as she can see that the UK went from being the sick man of europe in the 1970s to the worlds 4th largest economy and did that whilst being IN the EU, our record acting independently (or rather alongside the USA) has been a disaster.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    spatt77 wrote:
    Sturgeon for PM, as she can see that the UK went from being the sick man of europe in the 1970s to the worlds 4th largest economy and did that whilst being IN the EU, our record acting independently (or rather alongside the USA) has been a disaster.
    [/quote]
    May campaigned to stay in as well, making her as well qualified in that respect and better in most others.

Of course she also espouses similar policies to those used by Margaret Thatchers gov't to achieve that change while Sturgeon does not!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,326
    spatt77 wrote:
    Its amazing isn`t it, if remain had won all the leavers would be told this is democracy and to live with it! but they didnt win they are under the apprehension that everything on the leave side was lies and the "remain" side was telling the truth! There was lies on both sides and remainers would do well to remember that.
    You do know that the petition against the referendum was started by a leave campaigner worried about losing. Farage said if they lost by a small percentage it would be unfinished business. So the leavers were saying before the referendum they would be whining and moaning if they lost. As has been pointed out only a small majority of those that voted were in favour of leaving, the majority of the country did not vote to leave. So the remainers are doing what the leavers said they would do if the tables were turned.
  • mamba80 wrote:
    we did nt leave, so didnt have an emg budget..... but we ll have one eventually, even if it is by stealth.

That's called a budget. The point of the emergency budget claim was that it was an unavoidable consequence of voting to leave that it would happen "within weeks" to cut spending and increase taxes. It's now so obviously not happened I can't believe anyone is trying to defend it as not a lie.

This sounds almost exactly like the wriggling of the leave side about the lie about increased NHS spending being just one possibility that the government might not decide to take. That wasn't the way it was presented, and the same goes for the scary emergency budget.
  • mamba80 wrote:

That's called a budget. The point of the emergency budget claim was that it was an unavoidable consequence of voting to leave that it would happen "within weeks" to cut spending and increase taxes. It's now so obviously not happened I can't believe anyone is trying to defend it as not a lie.

This sounds almost exactly like the wriggling of the leave side about the lie about increased NHS spending being just one possibility that the government might not decide to take. That wasn't the way it was presented, and the same goes for the scary emergency budget.

The emergency budget was on the basis that we invoked A50 on the 24th June and the he (george osborne) would stick to his stated goal which was to eradicate the budget deficit by 2020. So you would do better claiming the immediate calling of A50 as a lie but I doubt that swung a single vote.

You seem to be the only person left in Britain who has not accepted that the £350m to th eNHs was a lie (or a "mistake" in the words of Farage). Th ebus may have been ambiguous but the Telegraph link below has Boris in front of a slogan explicity saying give thE £350m to the NHS

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06 ... a-mistake/
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 05546.html