Knocked off by an Ocado truck

joecamel
joecamel Posts: 81
edited October 2016 in Road general
My mate was just last night knocked off his bike by an Ocado truck. He has it on video. The driver pulled a dangerous pass on a blind hill and is clearly in the wrong. It's all on video.
Ocado are claiming the truck isn't registered to them.
Who has practical advice on this?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Show them the video. The truck is either one of theirs, or it isn't.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    did the camera pick up the numberplate ?
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I'm assuming that he's already reported it to the police? And if there's damage then british cycling legal are very responsive
  • fat daddy wrote:
    did the camera pick up the numberplate ?
    Yes, the REG is clearly visible. The truck says OCADO on the trailer, it's a full size HGV Class 1.
  • Entirely possible that the HGV tractor unit doesn't belong to Ocado - they'll outsource the movement of big trucks to a haulier...
  • If its an HGV Class 1 (artic) as you say just because it says OCADO on the trailer it doesn't mean it was pulled by an OCADO tractor unit. As you have the rego report it to the Police, they will be able to find the owner / driver of the tractor unit.
  • Jerry185
    Jerry185 Posts: 143
    ^^^ What Sutton said
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Get legal help. Document everything.

As has been said - its not Ocado.
  • Fenix wrote:

Just because it's got Ocado on the trailer doesn't definitely mean it is Ocado but it's a pretty good bet it is!
  • Redbaron1
    Redbaron1 Posts: 116
    joecamel wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

Just because it's got Ocado on the trailer doesn't definitely mean it is Ocado but it's a pretty good bet it is!

Pretty sure Ocado subcontract to someone like wincanton, kn or similar. It won't be their responsibility but I doubt would want the attention of a branded lorry driving badly. A request as to who owns / operates the rig with a polite threat may go a long way.
  • fenix
    Your pal needs to report to the police and get legal help. Sounds like hit and run ? Why would he be pursuing this himself ?
  • Report to the Police and get legal advice. If you're in the BC or CRC then use their legal lines.
  • vysie
    vysie Posts: 34
    Where about did it happen? I no in Tamworth there tractor units are all mercs not sure else where, but up here they don't sub out so not sure elsewhere report it to police they will trace it in seconds
  • Vysie wrote:
    Where about did it happen? I no in Tamworth there tractor units are all mercs not sure else where, but up here they don't sub out so not sure elsewhere report it to police they will trace it in seconds
    Congleton area.

It's confirmed, it is Ocado. The cops won't do anything about it though as there is no injury. Ocado don't seem to give a damn either.

So, knocked off his bike by a Class 1 HGV and nothing is being done about it. No wonder there are so many Cycling Vs Car deaths/injuries.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Sounds like it's time to start posting the video...
  • fenix
    Have you spoken to a solicitor ? If he's come off the bike there must be some damage to him, the clothing or the bike ? Even grazes.

Solictor will prob send him for a medical to check over ? No bruises even ?
  • g00se wrote:
    Sounds like it's time to start posting the video...

Agreed, put it up on the old YouTubes. Certainly if you were knocked off that's important and shouldn't be dismissed just because you weren't hurt, and I find it hard to believe falling off a bike wouldn't hurt in some way, or cause some damage!
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    joecamel wrote:
    Vysie wrote:
    Congleton area.

It's confirmed, it is Ocado. The cops won't do anything about it though as there is no injury. Ocado don't seem to give a damn either.

So, knocked off his bike by a Class 1 HGV and nothing is being done about it. No wonder there are so many Cycling Vs Car deaths/injuries.

Get your pal to post the video anywhere and everywhere, and once it goes viral, the company may change their tune.
    Very poor form from the police in my opinion. :cry:
  • fenix
    I don't think posting videos is the right way forward. It might even damage your claim ?

viewtopic.php?f=40052&t=12722930
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    The only way forward for your mate is to take the video and show it to a solicitor but if there are no injuries or damages what route will his claim take?
  • fenix
    And what kit / bike is he riding that being knocked off results in no damage ? I'm buying that stuff.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I got knocked off by a lorry a few years back. I was on a side road, approaching a t-junction with a main road. The driver in a non-articulated lorry made a left hand turn into the side road, covering the entire width of both sides of the road as he did it. I tried to swerve towards the kerb but ran of out of room and bounced off the front right wing of the cab onto the grass verge. I checked the cab with my thigh and shoulder. I suffered a grazed knee and a broken Garmin mount.

West Midlands Police were completely disinterested as I was insufficiently maimed. The company agreed to offer the driver additional training, reimbursed me for the Garmin mount (once I provided a VAT receipt), apologised and gave me a carrier bag full of sweets and chocolates (they were a confectionary distributor). I guess that was an ok outcome, but if I'd caught the cab differently I could easily have ended up under the front of the lorry instead of on the grass verge and the Police couldn't have cared less. Which was a bit disappointing but not unexpected.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Fenix wrote:
    I don't think posting videos is the right way forward. It might even damage your claim ?

What's being claimed? If there's no injury or damage then there is no monetary claim - so nothing to damage.

I do think that if the police have said no and the company operating the lorry are equally disinterested then the cyclist has little recourse other than to publish the video. Just ensure there's no opinion being published - just facts.

Youtube - then post a link on here and submit it to the cycling mags would be a good start - local paper too - and if the road is in the parish where the rider lives - then notifying the parish council would be a good idea too as they frequently take up residents issues about traffic.

We (the more vulnerable road users - along with pedestrians and horse riders) need to make it socially unacceptable to drive in what we perceive to be a dangerous manner.
  • If a cyclist does nothing wrong and gets knocked off by an HGV, how is that not dangerous driving? Sounds pretty dangerous for the cyclist.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    If he got knocked off then surely there would be damage to the rider or the bike?
    If on the other hand the lorry did a close pass and the rider lost control and fell off then as above surely at least slight damage or injury?
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Yeah he must have some sort of damage?!
    I fell off on ice at only 10mph - bent bars and shifter, holes in jersey and bib tights and 2 broken scaphoids lol.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,576
    Bizarre - maybe the person who got knocked off needs to come and reply on this thread?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    AK_jnr wrote:
    Yeah he must have some sort of damage?!
    I fell off on ice at only 10mph - bent bars and shifter, holes in jersey and bib tights and 2 broken scaphoids lol.

Conversely I've come off at nearly double that and the only damage has been a bit of road rash and my pride... It depends on the specifics, without seeing it obviously it's impossible to know but maybe he was knocked into a grass verge or something.
  • Fenix wrote:

This gets posted a lot, I've no idea why. Civil claim, no one cares, if it shows you as being in the wrong then your claim is damaged but that's simply a result of the recording. Criminal law? Unless you happen to have one juror who's seen it it's highly unlikely to even come onto the radar of unfair trial. And even then the juror wouldn't become a juror in the first place.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • fenix
    Good point BTR - I have seen it said. I think in this case the OP's mate should be a bit more proactive in contacting legal help rather than spending time on youtube.

If he has no damage thats another thing - but its all a bit unclear with the rider involved not around.