Hydrating !

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
Ive never been a fan on energy drinks. But recently have tried high 5 - which I like and have done some good average speeds (for me any way)

The only problem is I am supposed to drink 200ml every 20 minutes - which means on longer rides I would need a lot of bottles !

So what do people do on longer rides ? - are thre better drinks that don't need such an intake...

I have a saddle mounted light, and my second bottle holder carries spare tubes etc -

Comments

• supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    kingrollo wrote:
    Ive never been a fan on energy drinks. But recently have tried high 5 - which I like and have done some good average speeds (for me any way)

The only problem is I am supposed to drink 200ml every 20 minutes - which means on longer rides I would need a lot of bottles !

So what do people do on longer rides ? - are thre better drinks that don't need such an intake...

I have a saddle mounted light, and my second bottle holder carries spare tubes etc -

200ml every 20 minutes if correct will surely relate to when you are full gas, personally I take 750ml and that lasts me for very hard session of 90 minutes and more. If I'm out longer I'll just fill up at a garage / shop etc. 99% of the time I only use water, occasionally I'll use lucazade sport.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I use the High 5 energy tabs and on my faster 2 to 3 hour rides generally have a bit left from a 500ml bottle unless it is a very hot day. Every one is different and there is no hard and fast rule, I tend to have a sip when I feel the need.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Did 40 miles (10 hard commute, 30 chaingang) last night on 1/2 pint of water I downed before I left work. Ok I was fooked by the end but I don't think you need to be drinking 200 every 20m mins. You'd explode!

Drink little and often, before you need it if you can.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    kingrollo wrote:

Don't believe everything you read on the packet. Forcing 200ml down your neck every 20 minutes just because the manufacturer tells you to is not the way forward. Most people's bodies are pretty good at telling them when/how much to drink.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    In summer I can go through 1500ml of drink easily.

In winter I can go three hours without touching the bottle.

Depends on the temperatures.

200ml every 20 mins isn't really practical unless you have a team car.

Set an alarm for every 15 mins or so and take a swig of drink.

Glugging 200ml three times an hour isn't a good plan.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    It's just a guide.
    I read somewhere that you should drink 500ml of fluid for every hour of excercise but as said everyone is different.I generally take 2x500ml bottles and generally drink both on rides of 2-3 hours.
    I've drank 3ltrs of water on a 3hr MTB ride on numerous occasions,other times I've taken 3ltrs and come home with 2ltrs.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    3 hours would be two 750ml bottles summer or winter. Just might have a bit more left in the winter. If out for longer I just top up somewhere. I only use water.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I take 2 x 750ml bottles out with me (with 1 x High5 tablets in ea)

In summer I'd easily drink both on a 2hr ride.
    The last couple of weeks I've been drinking about 1 1/2 of them.

As it gets colder I will probably get through just the one