Intervals: Mixed or set training blocks

chrisjohnsen
chrisjohnsen Posts: 40
Hi, I have a question regarding how people plan their training blocks when it comes to intervals. Lets say that I try to do 3 intervals sessions per week in Z6, Z5 and Z4. And in each zone I have 3 different sessions that I like to do. Is it then best to do the same sessions in each zone for a periode of time (lets say 3 weeks) and then change to different sessions. Or is it OK/better to just pick different sessions for each week in the 3 zones (less predictable for the body)?

Hope this was an understandable question...

Regarding,
Chris

Comments

• It's not clear what it is you are trying to achieve. e.g. why are you doing the intervals at all?

The short answer is "it depends".

The reason for that is the time course and scope for adaptations to the various metabolic systems primarily involved in supporting capabilities across the intensity spectrum varies, and hence the timing of what intervals to do, for how long, how frequently and what your recovery requirements are will differ depending on what it is you are attempting to achieve, your individual response to training, your fitness level, your phenotype, your goals and so on.