Best looking deep section wheels?

2»

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    How about these, on this bike of course...

6b8f3303aa.jpg

PP

Well, boras tend to look good on glossy carbon Colnagos, but of course these are too deep, anyone riding 80mm wheels on a road bike is automatically a pecker.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    He said best looking, not worried about pecker factor! ;-)
  • The vast majority of deep section wheels are pretty much all the same, bar the stickers.

Order your carbon rim from China, (maybe give it some dimples so you can add an extra £200), lace a hub to it with spokes, and voila! So it's really down to how good your sticker designer is or how much marketing BS you can spout.

If you want a wheel that looks different, and genuinely stands out, I would suggest Campa Bora, LW or to a lesser extent, Corima.
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    I know its the latest trend but i think the new U shaped wheels all look a bit shite compared to the older V profile.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    noodleman wrote:
    I know its the latest trend but i think the new U shaped wheels all look a bit shite compared to the older V profile.

I agree, but then i am also one of those people that think 25mm+ tyres feel sluggish compared to 23mm
  • dwanes wrote:
    noodleman wrote:

I agree, but then i am also one of those people that think 25mm+ tyres feel sluggish compared to 23mm

Blasphemy!!

• There are no stupid questions

"Questions are never indiscrete... answer are sometimes"

Mortimer, "for a few dollars more"
    left the forum March 2023
  • warrior4life
    warrior4life Posts: 925
    edited October 2016
    drlodge wrote:
    Its a stupid question because "Performance and price not taken in to consideration."

I.e. this is someone wanting to know what are the most beautiful pair of wheels, has deep pockets and will simply look at them?

Some people are idiots.

We produce wheels where I work and we're looking at new graphics. I was just looking for general a consensus on what looks best.
    Its a simple question really.
  • Black with plain graphics seems to be a good trend.
    Zipp are obviously iconic.
    Hunt have a classic look.
    Some of the Reynolds wheels look very nice.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    drlodge wrote:
    Its a stupid question because "Performance and price not taken in to consideration."

I.e. this is someone wanting to know what are the most beautiful pair of wheels, has deep pockets and will simply look at them?

Some people are idiots.

We produce wheels where I work and we're looking at new graphics. I was just looking for general a consensus on what looks best.

Ah, now that is a different question really, or at least the answer you are looking for is different even if you might not know it.

Some thoughts...

You list some other wheels here too you think are popular and look good, but some there have stacks of brand heritage (which I'm sure you don't). So, the one that is left is Hunt. Hunt's branding actually seems to be quite popular with people, it is relatively understated, the last think people want is shouty graphics of an unheard of brand, in most cases they'd rather have nothing, just look at all the de-stickering that goes on, it goes on more on lesser known brands than like likes of Zipp, Campag and LW.

The name is important too. Many people don't think of this but some names are a gift to designers as the letters have shapes that flow together or can be made a feature off, other names you fight to get a good logo out of (in which case you often revert to simple type and a good logo that is a standalone icon, even it it is just made out of the first letter of the name).

If you want some opinion based on what branding you already have, PM me some of the branding, my opinion will only be one of many (but I am experienced in these fields), or, post some on here to see what comments people have (always take it lightly).
  • We produce wheels where I work and we're looking at new graphics. I was just looking for general a consensus on what looks best.

I think the spoke design plays a large part in how good/cool the wheels end up looking... the Rolf Prima range for example.

3a37d8a1dfbb3421bb0cb914afdc1a3f.jpg

As for graphics on the rims - I prefer decals... as that sh1t can be removed :shock: (Or at least be somewhat restrained like Hunt).
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    drlodge wrote:
    drlodge wrote:
    What a stupid question.

There are no stupid questions

Oh there are. Like "What is the colour of morality?"
    Brown
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    What inner tubes are you running in those bad boys Doc ?

None, they're tubeless. Rubber is IRC Roadlites.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava