Best looking deep section wheels?

warrior4life
warrior4life Posts: 925
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
Performance and price not taken in to consideration.

What are the best looking deep carbon wheels?

Personally I'm a sucker for Zipp and Bontrager, honourable mention to Hunt, a very classy look.

Comments

• dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    For me it depends on the finish on the frameset.
    A glossy finish on the frameset requires a more shiny finish to the wheelset such as Zipp.
    And a matt finish to the frameset looks great with a matt wheelset such as some of the Reynolds
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Do you mean 'which one has the nicest stickers?'
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    What a stupid question.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    drlodge wrote:
    What a stupid question.

Why is it a stupid question?

For the ordinary rider - marginal gains in certain conditions makes very little difference to the ride, yet many riders buy these wheels- one of the dominant reasons for buying such wheels is aesthetics. Lots of things are bought for aesthetics and a premium is paid for such items. So its a prefectly valid question.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    drlodge wrote:
    What a stupid question.

Why, it's one of the main reasons for buying deep sections isn't it, along with which ones make the best wub-wub-wub noise.
  • drlodge
    Its a stupid question because "Performance and price not taken in to consideration."

I.e. this is someone wanting to know what are the most beautiful pair of wheels, has deep pockets and will simply look at them?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • drlodge
    iPete wrote:
    drlodge wrote:
    What a stupid question.

Why, it's one of the main reasons for buying deep sections isn't it, along with which ones make the best wub-wub-wub noise.

Price, performance and looks not taken into consideration, what are the best sounding deep section wheels? :roll:
    Find me on Strava
  • drlodge wrote:
    What a stupid question.

There are no stupid questions
  • drlodge
    drlodge wrote:
    What a stupid question.

Oh there are. Like "What is the colour of morality?"
    Find me on Strava
  • iPete
    edited October 2016
    drlodge wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    drlodge wrote:
    What a stupid question.

Price, performance and looks not taken into consideration, what are the best sounding deep section wheels? :roll:

What letap73 said.

Deep section/discs sounds great at full tilt. No different to considering what note my cars exhaust/engine makes. It's all part of the experience. Hell, how many people consider and ask what noise the hubs make...!
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    drlodge wrote:
    What a stupid question.

Ok. What is the best looking inner tube?
  • letap73
    drlodge wrote:
    Its a stupid question because "Performance and price not taken in to consideration."

I.e. this is someone wanting to know what are the most beautiful pair of wheels, has deep pockets and will simply look at them?

There is a cannondale supersix evo available on the cycle to work scheme for £799. You have a Wyndy Milla which I assume costs much more - for the extra outlay how much extra performance do you gain from it over the evo.
    So in no way did the exclusivity of owning such a distinctive looking bike come into your thought processes when making your purchase?
  • drlodge
    My Hope hubs make a great noise when freewheeling ;-) Mind you, my BORG50 tubeless wheels also make a great noise at full tilt. Just that I wouldn't buy a pair of deep section wheels for their noise or looks alone.

I dare say no one would buy a performance car for its sound or looks alone, but balance that with performance, price and possibly other factors.
    Find me on Strava
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    drlodge wrote:

I dunno, I reckon a lot of people with deep section carbon aero rims have bought them on there looks and dont in anyway benefit from their intended use ...... so on that its kind of a sensible question.

after all, on a commute of 6 miles of which you spend 30-40 seconds above 23mph ... how much of an advantage is a pair of 60mm carbon rims going to give you ... where as the 5 mins you spend at lights, how awesome is your bike going to look ?
  • drlodge
    letap73 wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

There is a cannondale supersix evo available on the cycle to work scheme for £799. You have a Wyndy Milla which I assume costs much more - for the extra outlay how much extra performance do you gain from it over the evo.
    So in no way did the exclusivity of owning such a distinctive looking bike come into your thought processes when making your purchase?

My point is that people consider more than one aspect when making a purchase. I bought the WM due to (a) its price (second hand so somewhat reduced) (b) its looks (custom paint job that I like) (c) exclusivity (d) performance. Its a balanced judgement considering several factors, not just one.
    Find me on Strava
  • iPete
    drlodge wrote:
    My Hope hubs make a great noise when freewheeling ;-) Mind you, my BORG50 tubeless wheels also make a great noise at full tilt. Just that I wouldn't buy a pair of deep section wheels for their noise or looks alone.

I dare say no one would buy a performance car for its sound or looks alone, but balance that with performance, price and possibly other factors.

I don't disagree but you're overthinking this.

Nearly at page 2 and not one decent looking pair of wheels! :cry:
  • letap73
    Ok Drlodge I take your point - however, as you know there too many wheels on the market to test them all and those that are tested and reviewed in magazines such as cycling plus are far too subjectively based and prone to hyperbole with rubbish like they spin up well. Therefore we cannot truly know how well some wheels perform in comparison to others. For a lot of people when it comes to buying wheels - especially aero wheels - it ultimately does come down to aesthetics.

In answer to the post above - for a reasonable price:

https://www.cycledivision.co.uk/product ... 0-r24-7284

http://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections ... 6-5mm-wide
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    drlodge wrote:
    What a stupid question.

Not sure I agree in this particular case.
  • drlodge
    I'll make it simple then. I think my wheels look pretty good...

28317438832_c1cac91889_b.jpg
    Find me on Strava
  • drlodge wrote:

Remind me of these

SP926514.jpg&width=200&height=167
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    drlodge wrote:
    It's either a (very) cr4p picture or I'm missing something!
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Wheels - Corima
    Inner tube - the Michelin green latex ones, must have a green dust cap
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    drlodge wrote:

What inner tubes are you running in those bad boys Doc ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ayjaycee wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

DECALS!
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    ayjaycee wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

DECALS!
    Nope, I don't think they would have improved things in the slightest.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • drlodge wrote:
    drlodge wrote:
    What a stupid question.

Oh there are. Like "What is the colour of morality?"

Pink .... obviously :D
  • The ones that say "lightweight" on them?
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Aesthetics of wheels is interesting if you appreciate aesthetics, deep sections or not.

That said, it completely depends on the bike they are going on.

Most people have no taste anyway to be honest and most wouldn't know what looks good. You could say it is subjective, which it is, but really most people have no taste and couldn't pick a decent colour for a wall let alone a good looking combination of kit on a bike.

If you need to ask what looks good or best, you won't much notice the difference anyway and would be happy with whatever you've convinced yourself to buy.
  • zoomer42
    zoomer42 Posts: 124
    Lightweight Meilenstein's - black edition
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    How about these, on this bike of course...

6b8f3303aa.jpg

PP